Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cultural Appropriation and Food
Cultural Appropriation and Food
Simply does it apply? If so how far?

If it is wrong for me, a mutt of German/Hungarian/Cezch with some Irish, to make any money selling a taco, even if that taco is filled with kielbasa and sourkrught; how is it OK for Mexico to make one of the most popular lager beers when my people invented it? AKA: Plisner Urquell vs Corona?

The drum was invented maybe around 7000 BC by Mesopotamians, should all music be devoid of drums other than that of middle eastern origins?

At what point is it all just absurdist?
"I'm thick." - Me
RE: Cultural Appropriation and Food
The treasures of humanity are to be shared, not hoarded.
(June 4, 2021 at 1:34 am)Goosebump Wrote: Simply does it apply? If so how far?

If it is wrong for me, a mutt of German/Hungarian/Cezch with some Irish, to make any money selling a taco, even if that taco is filled with kielbasa and sourkrught; how is it OK for Mexico to make one of the most popular lager beers when my people invented it? AKA: Plisner Urquell vs Corona?

The drum was invented maybe around 7000 BC by Mesopotamians, should all music be devoid of drums other than that of middle eastern origins?

At what point is it all just absurdist?

I have never understood "cultural appropriation", food or otherwise. Bruce Lee got lots of shit from his part of the world for wanting to teach martial arts to Americans. 

I look at life like this, if you have some good shit, no matter the idea, food, fashion or technology, why the fuck would you not want to share it with the world?
Ok so just a quick google search results in this:

Quote:Cultural appropriation refers to the use of objects or elements of a non-dominant culture in a way that doesn't respect their original meaning, give credit to their source, or reinforces stereotypes or contributes to oppression.

Quote:Cultural appropriation can occur when a dominant culture adopts cultural elements from a historically marginalized population and claims them as its own. Inappropriate or politically incorrect cultural appropriation disregards another population’s history, which can include oppression and persecution by that same dominant culture.

So it seams like it can only apply to one group of people... White Europeans. I haven't heard much about Mexico dominating Hungary in any way, but I'm also pretty sure they disregard whatever happened there when they make beer in a cold fermentation process.

Once again this seems absurdist. I can't sell a meal in a tortilla unless I respect the original meaning of the tortilla (aka: bread), give credit to it's source (aka: the Aztecs), or have anything to do with assigning tortillas to anything negative?!? That's just a piece of a bread and a beer...

This can go anywhere. From the first people to spin and sell silks to modern things like the transistor. Also helped along by a Hungarian. Should I be offended if people don't acknowledge that when they use their phone? Of course not. Can't we let this mostly go?

I'd love to hear the perspective of somebody not super white like myself. Cause frankly, I don't get why it is an issue. My culture or anything created, invented or derived from a white mind or pallet is ok to do whatever with. Why, if equality is the goal, is every other possible denomination of person off limits?
"I'm thick." - Me
I think its about cultural pride -- you have something that you value that sets you apart from the dominant culture. If they appropriate it (and change it), then you lose that piece of pride.

I don't really understand the whole pride-in-being-a-minority thing. Imperialists go to great lengths to spread their culture. Why wouldn't minorities want to spread theirs?
I suppose I need to pass up all the Tex-Mex food here in Dallas from now on.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

The Keep America Beautiful ad featuring Iron Eyes Cody, an Italian American, is an example.  

[Image: 200.gif]
Italian, Indian, they both start with "I", it's close enough.
That's not cultural appropriation, lol, it was just typecasting. He played an indian alot. Cultural appropriation is also not a thing that only white europeans can do...and....no, super whiteness isn't under attack, ffs.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The Italian part is irony.  The suggestion that a native would dress like that and cry about litter by the highway when he's got far worse things to dry about is what I'm talking about.

I didn't like the northerner dressing up as a hick and doing the git 'er done shtick.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A PhD with food stamps? Jehanne 6 839 April 18, 2022 at 3:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Silly food. Gawdzilla Sama 19 1045 December 22, 2020 at 9:01 am
Last Post: brewer
  "Institution" and food shows. Brian37 17 1021 February 17, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why I hate food critics.... Brian37 23 2706 January 21, 2020 at 10:14 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Song Thread About Food/Drink BrianSoddingBoru4 16 1363 May 23, 2019 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
  Ran into another Food Nazi just now. Brian37 31 2767 July 31, 2018 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Emergency food help. What do you put on a BLT? Gawdzilla Sama 36 2127 July 21, 2018 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Words and cultural differences pocaracas 15 1755 June 3, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
Heart Tell us your ethnicity with food pics *Deidre* 138 20260 May 19, 2018 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  how pyschological is our pickiness to food. Mystic 28 4892 April 18, 2018 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet