Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A PhD with food stamps?
A PhD with food stamps?
This one surprised me, but, UCLA was recruiting adjunct professors for zero-salary positions:

UCLA apologizes and backtracks on controversial ad for unpaid adjunct job.

What is there for conservatives to complain about on this one?
RE: A PhD with food stamps?
(April 17, 2022 at 7:30 pm)Jehanne Wrote: This one surprised me, but, UCLA was recruiting adjunct professors for zero-salary positions:

According to the article, the advert was badly worded - but only the phrase ‘without compensation’.

Zero salary and zero compensation are not the same thing. In this case, a non-salaried position only means that the employee will not be compensated out of the university’s budget.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 17, 2022 at 7:30 pm)Jehanne Wrote: This one surprised me, but, UCLA was recruiting adjunct professors for zero-salary positions:

It's well known that universities pretty much everywhere are squeezing their adjuncts to the breaking point.  It's in keeping with the overall trend of making education into a business, for business.
I know plenty of life 'students/teachers', all the way back to the 70's/80's. They tell me their fine with it and content.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 17, 2022 at 7:44 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

According to the article, the advert was badly worded - but only the phrase ‘without compensation’.

Zero salary and zero compensation are not the same thing. In this case, a non-salaried position only means that the employee will not be compensated out of the university’s budget.

Boru

If they are not paid out of the University's budget, then where is their paycheck coming from?  How about benefits?
Hello new applicant, I see you are a doctor of philosophy.  What branch would that be?

Postmodernism along side Existentialism.  I could go either way.

So how would you apply those schools of thought to the city water department?

With a keen eye toward progress and full awareness of the absurdity of it all.

Welcome to the City of Tahlequah, you will get along nicely here.
(April 17, 2022 at 10:28 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(April 17, 2022 at 7:44 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: According to the article, the advert was badly worded - but only the phrase ‘without compensation’.

Boru

If they are not paid out of the University's budget, then where is their paycheck coming from?  How about benefits?

Adjunct professorships are generally paid via grants. University affiliation makes it possible to apply for and/or maintain grants.

There usually are no benefits.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cultural Appropriation and Food Goosebump 15 1187 June 6, 2021 at 11:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Silly food. Gawdzilla Sama 19 1055 December 22, 2020 at 9:01 am
Last Post: brewer
  "Institution" and food shows. Brian37 17 1067 February 17, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why I hate food critics.... Brian37 23 2859 January 21, 2020 at 10:14 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Song Thread About Food/Drink BrianSoddingBoru4 16 1391 May 23, 2019 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
  Ran into another Food Nazi just now. Brian37 31 2825 July 31, 2018 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Emergency food help. What do you put on a BLT? Gawdzilla Sama 36 2149 July 21, 2018 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Heart Tell us your ethnicity with food pics *Deidre* 138 20746 May 19, 2018 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  how pyschological is our pickiness to food. Mystic 28 4965 April 18, 2018 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Most otherwise popular food/snack/dessert/beverage you cannot stand ? vorlon13 65 10292 April 16, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: vorlon13