Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This panic buying is frustrating
This panic buying is frustrating
But what frustrates me more (at least here in Australia) the supermarket management responding so timidly to the situation. Is it because they care more about bottom line than people? How about instead of timid notices in small print asking people to kindly not hoard, put up big DO NOT signs near aisles where essentials are being hoarded, with words printed in bold red or something? And if people can't or won't read them, put pictures of staring eyes (if I remember from my majoring psychology long time ago, research has shown that this can have an impact on people by making them feel super conscious). Appeal to people's fears, not to their supposed kindness. I don't know, but imposing limits isn't doing the trick because I can easily imagine scenarios in which shelves will still be emptied in record time regardless (for example, the same person can always come back a later time during the day to grab more of the same stuff).

Just my two cents.
RE: This panic buying is frustrating
The market where I shop has limited hoarding item purchases to 5 units.

Shelves are still empty.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 22, 2020 at 10:19 pm)brewer Wrote: The market where I shop has limited hoarding item purchases to 5 units.

Shelves are still empty.

Exactly
And yet - there you are - trying to get yours......

If you were prepared - you wouldn't have this problem....
(March 22, 2020 at 10:32 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: And yet - there you are - trying to get yours......

If you were prepared - you wouldn't have this problem....

It's not me I'm worried about.
I went to Jewel today. And Dad actually talked with someone who worked there about the TP situation. I think I mentioned before that they actually had signs stating a hard limit of TP and paper towels for people to buy and you can see them in the picture below. They were still deserted last week. Admittedly, today, the paper towels were better stocked, but the TP was still off the shelves. Apparently, after talking with the guy, it turns out that they're actually restocking TP more than usual. And with that in mind, they still run out quickly.

And just for reference, here’s a picture of the paper towel aisle last week:
[Image: 02243631-45-F9-4812-A115-E9-C2-C85445-E0.jpg]

I remember that they had a similar set of signs for the TP aisle (and still do, because they're still up in both aisles), but did not take a picture there.

Like it or not, this isn't an issue of people only caring about the bottom line this time around. On a store-to-store level (not on the manufacturing level, mind), it's a case of demand FAR outstripping the supply. This demand might be for very stupid reasons, but it's there.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(March 22, 2020 at 10:44 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: I went to Jewel today. And Dad actually talked with someone who worked there about the TP situation. I think I mentioned before that they actually had signs stating a hard limit of TP and paper towels for people to buy and you can see them in the picture below. They were still deserted last week. Admittedly, today, the paper towels were better stocked, but the TP was still off the shelves. Apparently, after talking with the guy, it turns out that they're actually restocking TP more than usual. And with that in mind, they still run out quickly.

And just for reference, here’s a picture of the paper towel aisle last week:
[Image: 02243631-45-F9-4812-A115-E9-C2-C85445-E0.jpg]

I remember that they had a similar set of signs for the TP aisle (and still do, because they're still up in both aisles), but did not take a picture there.

Like it or not, this isn't an issue of people only caring about the bottom line this time around. On a store-to-store level (not on the manufacturing level, mind), it's a case of demand FAR outstripping the supply. This demand might be for very stupid reasons, but it's there.

I know the lower level staff are working hard and overtime, and I don't blame them at all when it comes to this problem. It's the consumer's automatic tendency to do things that are irrational out of panic and social proofing that's the main culprit here along with, imo, ineffective measures by the leadership at the top to address these matters.

We have signs like the ones in the picture as well, but I'm saying they're not aggressive enough still. They don't induce much fear or self consciousness in consumers behaving in an automated manner. A panic buyer could see this and be like "ok I'll come back later for more or have another family member grab them for me". Whereas what I'm pondering about are warnings that make people panic about panic buying, to the point they'd be too scared to work around the restrictions. DO NOT in red print or pictures of staring eyes sound, to me, more aggressive than using the key word "only"

Not trying to pretend I'm an expert here or thinking I have some clear solution in mind. Just ranting and thinking out loud.
Just watched a video clip of a woman loading up a large truck in the States with every roll of toilet paper and paper towels from a shop.

Shop owners need to stop these pricks doing this.

A neighbour described how her daughter in Christchurch saw an old woman struggling to get a loaf of bread from a shelf with only two loaves left. A younger woman ran in and grabbed them both.

Scum.
Dying to live, living to die.
Beccs, if there are only 2 TP rolls left, would you give me one? Or take them both BUT kick the shit out of me as consolation Dunno
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(March 23, 2020 at 4:13 am)ignoramus Wrote: Beccs, if there are only 2 TP rolls left, would you give me one? Or take them both BUT kick the shit out of me as consolation Dunno

I don't need to.

I have 12 rolls in the house, and that will keep me going for a while.

Plus I work in an essential service.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Talk me out of buying this paulpablo 73 4938 August 9, 2016 at 11:07 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Panic: my mom showed up in the suggested people on my fake facebook DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 29 4133 December 8, 2015 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Buying a case for my phone Lemonvariable72 3 1216 August 14, 2015 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Any advice on buying land? Chad32 4 1219 April 23, 2014 at 10:28 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Buying a hat these days is feaking stupid. the antithesis 17 7940 June 1, 2013 at 12:46 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Buying stuff on line Oldandeasilyconfused 4 5165 March 7, 2011 at 8:31 am
Last Post: fr0d0