Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:14 pm

Poll: Should we be more humanitarian towards the fish we eat?
This poll is closed.
No. I don't believe they suffer the same way other animals do.
0%
0 0%
No. Their suffering is unimportant compared to the good that harvesting them accomplishes.
0%
0 0%
No. It's not a good thing, but there is no practical solution.
11.76%
2 11.76%
No. I don't care about animal suffering, fish least of all.
5.88%
1 5.88%
Yes. Fish deserve a humane death just as other animals do.
35.29%
6 35.29%
Yes. Human suffering is most important, but we shouldn't needlessly cause suffering.
5.88%
1 5.88%
Other.
11.76%
2 11.76%
Flipper says, "Fuck all polls!" (Although it sounded a lot like, "Squee! Squee! Squee!")
29.41%
5 29.41%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should we be more humanitarian towards the fish we eat?
Should we be more humanitarian towards the fish we eat?
Quote:In most of the world, it is accepted that if animals are to be killed for food, they should be killed without suffering. Regulations for slaughter generally require that animals be rendered instantly unconscious before they are killed, or death should be brought about instantaneously, or, in the case of ritual slaughter, as close to instantaneously as the religious doctrine allows.

Not for fish. There is no humane slaughter requirement for wild fish caught and killed at sea, nor, in most places, for farmed fish.

Let’s assume that all this fishing is sustainable, though of course it is not. It would then be reassuring to believe that killing on such a vast scale does not matter, because fish do not feel pain. But the nervous systems of fish are sufficiently similar to those of birds and mammals to suggest that they do. When fish experience something that would cause other animals physical pain, they behave in ways suggestive of pain, and the change in behavior may last several hours. (It is a myth that fish have short memories.) Fish learn to avoid unpleasant experiences, like electric shocks. And painkillers reduce the symptoms of pain that they would otherwise show.

Victoria Braithwaite, a professor of fisheries and biology at Pennsylvania State University, has probably spent more time investigating this issue than any other scientist. Her recent book Do Fish Feel Pain? shows that fish not only are capable of feeling pain, but also are a lot smarter than most people believe. Last year, a scientific panel to the European Union concluded that the preponderance of the evidence indicates that fish do feel pain.

Why are fish the forgotten victims on our plate? Is it because they are cold-blooded and covered in scales? Is it because they cannot give voice to their pain? Whatever the explanation, the evidence is now accumulating that commercial fishing inflicts an unimaginable amount of pain and suffering.

~ Ethics in the Real World: 82 Brief Essays on Things That Matter, by Peter Singer

It's estimated that a trillion fish are killed each year by rather inhumane and far from instantaneous methods. Suffocation, mostly. What do you think? Humanitarian crisis, or tempest in a teapot?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
RE: Should we be more humanitarian towards the fish we eat?
Quote:but also are a lot smarter than most people believe.

Shit.  It isn't apparent that most people are smart.
I always believed that boiling Lobsters is an inhumane practice. They sure do feel pain.
If they're in rearing tanks they can be rendered unconscious by the batch, they'll still die of suffocation.  Beyond that, we can take them out in petty much the same way that cattle go out with a spike.  

Hard to find anyone in a position to do either.  Meanwhile, we've collapsed our wild stocks and demand can only increase.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Sushi be so dang good tho...😛
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(October 28, 2018 at 5:11 pm)AtlasS33 Wrote: I always believed that boiling Lobsters is an inhumane practice. They sure do feel pain.

Indeed. You can quickly dispatch them with a knife to the head before tossing them into the water. There's no danger of bacteria forming if it's done in quick succession.

Same with fish. When I went salmon fishing we brought a club. Catch a fish, give it a whack to knock it out, then cut the gills.

There's no need to make our food suffer.
Formerly Loom from TTA (rip)

~Ignorance is not to be ignored.~
Quote: You can quickly dispatch them with a knife to the head before tossing them into the water.

I think that is mentioned on Page 4 of the Mafia Trainee Handbook!
I chose the option that they deserve a humane death. But I was toying with "other." Being extracted from the sea and suffocated is far more human than being made to live in a stall in which one cannot turn around for one's entire life, after all.
Absolutely, I support the most ethical treatment possible. We can’t ever be sure what feels what and to what degree, but I feel we should err on the safe side out of respect for the possibility.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
When I was an apprentice chef I worked at a seafood restaurant on the beach.
One of the dishes required cutting a blue spanner crab into four with scissors and throwing it in with the stir fry.
I did it when the head chef was around but mostly I'd go down to the jetty, grab a crab out of the pot and throw it in the freezer for a while.
Dunno if that was more humane but at least they didn't squirm when cut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Restaurant to eat free for a year Fake Messiah 6 623 January 17, 2023 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How to eat healthy Woah0 20 1725 September 13, 2022 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The army is one of the best examples of gender inequality towards MEN Macoleco 64 5308 February 18, 2021 at 8:04 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Nemo the Fish brewer 5 437 January 7, 2021 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Let them eat spam! Foxaèr 33 2080 September 13, 2020 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Thumbs Up Fresh fish onlinebiker 24 1665 May 8, 2020 at 3:24 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is your favorite fish to eat, seabass? Edwardo Piet 55 5435 April 12, 2018 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Bear healed with fish skin. brewer 13 1863 February 3, 2018 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  If not for the sauce, I wouldn't eat that vorlon13 46 5942 December 14, 2017 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Haipule
  Why the hell do I have the urge to eat an entire days worth of food by noon? EruptedCarcassBloat 81 8004 October 18, 2016 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue