Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miracles Not In Our Favor!
Miracles Not In Our Favor!
One thing you notice about miracles is that they are always in somebodies favor. Jesus turning water into wine because the wedding planner skimped and the crowd was thirsty. Splitting the Sea at least in favor of the Hebrews. But what about miracles in favor of no one? What if some of the Wedding crowd were 6 months sober and in AA? What if Muhammed flew across Arabia on a winged horse? Then the horse in flight shit, the shit fell and turd fell from the sky and knocked over a lamp, and burned a family up? I can think of a multitude of scenarios where the miracle was not a positive event. You?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: Miracles Not In Our Favor!
Yes, the miracle of birth hasn't always felt like a miracle to all.

miracle
[ˈmirək(ə)l]

NOUN
a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency.
"the miracle of rising from the grave"
synonyms:
supernatural phenomenon · mystery · prodigy · sign

I guess you lose that miracle part if an event sucks.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I'm guessing it is a subset of divine intervention™.
Good unexpected shit is called miracles™ and the bad shit that happens is either:

a) God acts in mysterious ways™
b) Karma (another subset of God's wrath)
c) You were caught masterbating to midget amputee pr0n
d) God was on the dunny creating a gas giant and couldn't intervene.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Sorry folks, you're not on the list.
No surprise. Dad did whisper to me when I was a kid that I was an accident.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(June 5, 2020 at 10:05 pm)chimp3 Wrote: One thing you notice about miracles is that they are always in somebodies favor. Jesus turning water into wine because the wedding planner skimped and the crowd was thirsty. Splitting the Sea at least in favor of the Hebrews. But what about miracles in favor of no one? What if some of the Wedding crowd were 6 months sober and in AA? What if Muhammed flew across Arabia on a winged horse? Then the horse in flight shit, the shit fell and turd fell from the sky and knocked over a lamp, and burned a family up? I can think of a multitude of scenarios where the miracle was not a positive event. You?

Turning Lot's wife into a pillar of salt seems not to have been in her favor.
(June 5, 2020 at 11:59 pm)Belacqua Wrote: Turning Lot's wife into a pillar of salt seems not to have been in her favor.

On the contrary, she escaped being married to Lot who was a horrible man, like when he offered her daughters to be raped by a mob and not just raped but that they can do whatever they want with them.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(June 5, 2020 at 11:59 pm)Belacqua Wrote:
(June 5, 2020 at 10:05 pm)chimp3 Wrote: One thing you notice about miracles is that they are always in somebodies favor. Jesus turning water into wine because the wedding planner skimped and the crowd was thirsty. Splitting the Sea at least in favor of the Hebrews. But what about miracles in favor of no one? What if some of the Wedding crowd were 6 months sober and in AA? What if Muhammed flew across Arabia on a winged horse? Then the horse in flight shit, the shit fell and turd fell from the sky and knocked over a lamp, and burned a family up? I can think of a multitude of scenarios where the miracle was not a positive event. You?

Turning Lot's wife into a pillar of salt seems not to have been in her favor.

No one said that a miracle necessarily has to favour the target OF that miracle.  Maybe Lot's wife was a vicious old harridan and Lot was happy to be rid of her.

But your point is nevertheless well taken.  In general use, the only difference between a miracle and a curse is point of view. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 6, 2020 at 4:52 am)OBrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 5, 2020 at 11:59 pm)Belacqua Wrote: Turning Lot's wife into a pillar of salt seems not to have been in her favor.

No one said that a miracle necessarily has to favour the target OF that miracle.  Maybe Lot's wife was a vicious old harridan and Lot was happy to be rid of her.

But your point is nevertheless well taken.  In general use, the only difference between a miracle and a curse is point of view. 

Boru

I've always thought it was significant that when Satan wanted to make Job's life terrible, he took away everything Job had EXCEPT his wife.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4085 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is our universe more complex than a t-shirt or not? ReptilianPeon 17 3666 September 27, 2016 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Catholic miracles beatlesman 97 16327 December 16, 2014 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Why no miracles anymore? KUSA 80 14597 March 31, 2014 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Gods acts of punishment and miracles. Gooders1002 23 9308 November 13, 2012 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How many miracles needed in the Noah myth? Doubting Thomas 74 33953 January 31, 2012 at 6:36 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  To all believers: Do you believe in miracles? annatar 43 15038 September 24, 2010 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: theVOID
  Miracles for an Atheist. Dotard 29 9815 December 14, 2009 at 3:14 pm
Last Post: chatpilot
  Convincing Miracles? Tiberius 5 5090 April 30, 2009 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet