Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cancel Culture
Cancel Culture
This was being discussed on NPR this morning.

Online definition -

The act of canceling, also referred to as cancel culture (a variant on the term "callout culture"), is a form of boycott in which an individual (usually a celebrity) who has acted or spoken in a questionable or controversial manner is boycotted.

It's not really new. It just involves new forms of media.

In the old days they just called it a "book burning".

YRMV
RE: Cancel Culture
My wife engages in a form of cancel culture by deselecting businesses based on their support for the Republican party. So, Taco Bell corporation has supported Trump so she doesn't want to eat there. My counterargument is that their burritos are delicious and there is no way to tell if the franchise owner of THAT particular Taco Bell ALSO supports Trump. I'm of the opinion that people should support whomever they want and I'll select or deselect their business based on how people within that building treat people. So if they were actively racist at that location I would boycott them right away.

I also don't think Rosanne should have lost her show. Louis C.K. shouldn't have been so harshly persecuted.

Fuck Harvey Weinstein though!
(July 20, 2020 at 10:30 am)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: My wife engages in a form of cancel culture by deselecting businesses based on their support for the Republican party. So, Taco Bell corporation has supported Trump so she doesn't want to eat there. My counterargument is that their burritos  are delicious and there is no way to tell if the franchise owner of THAT particular Taco Bell ALSO supports Trump. I'm of the opinion that people should support whomever they want and I'll select or deselect their business based on how people within that building treat people. So if they were actively racist at that location I would boycott them right away.

I also don't think Rosanne should have lost her show. Louis C.K. shouldn't have been so harshly persecuted.

Fuck Harvey Weinstein though!
Agree - but -

Roseanne should never have been given a show.

A talentless ginch -unless you count "annoying" as a marketable talent.
I'm a big fan of her comedy it has changed over the years but I think she still has it. She runs around with Stanhope so maybe I'm biased but, when he put her on, she killed! Her personality is another thing, and the fact that she is an avid Trump supporter just boggles my mind!
That's why there's more than one comedian.....

Different strokes and all that.

Great
(July 20, 2020 at 10:51 am)onlinebiker Wrote: That's why there's more than one comedian.....

Different strokes and all that.

Great

Nope. You're wrong and I'm the only one with taste!

j/k
(July 20, 2020 at 10:41 am)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: I'm a big fan of her comedy it has changed over the years but I think she still has it. She runs around with Stanhope so maybe I'm biased but, when he put her on, she killed! Her personality is another thing, and the fact that she is an avid Trump supporter just boggles my mind!

I liked Roseanne in her early years of doing standup and even the first few seasons of her show.  I will admit out loud that I like early standup by Bill Cosby.  I remember hearing some of his stuff being done in speech contests when I was in high school.  It's a challenge for me to try to get on board with saying that I suddenly hate everything someone did decades ago.  With Cosby I agree that he should have consequences for his past actions but that doesn't make his some of his skits suddenly unfunny.

If someone unearthed some awful things about George Carlin I would not be scrambling to burn his standup CDs or his books in effigy.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(July 20, 2020 at 11:11 am)arewethereyet Wrote:
(July 20, 2020 at 10:41 am)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: I'm a big fan of her comedy it has changed over the years but I think she still has it. She runs around with Stanhope so maybe I'm biased but, when he put her on, she killed! Her personality is another thing, and the fact that she is an avid Trump supporter just boggles my mind!

I liked Roseanne in her early years of doing standup and even the first few seasons of her show.  I will admit out loud that I like early standup by Bill Cosby.  I remember hearing some of his stuff being done in speech contests when I was in high school.  It's a challenge for me to try to get on board with saying that I suddenly hate everything someone did decades ago.  With Cosby I agree that he should have consequences for his past actions but that doesn't make his some of his skits suddenly unfunny.

If someone unearthed some awful things about George Carlin I would not be scrambling to burn his standup CDs or his books in effigy.

I read an article about giving up Johnny Depp due to his abuse of Amber Heard:

https://www.slashfilm.com/goodbye-to-johnny-depp

I hadn't heard about the whole thing and was taken aback but figured oh well, it isn't like I really know Mr. Depp but these facts don't change that he is entertaining as an actor. The gist of the article is we should give up on him and not support him which is crazy. It also turns out that Amber was really the one doing the abusing by withholding meds  and general mental abuse so after new evidence surfaced Johnny really isn't that bad of a guy at all! I'm Pro cancelling cancel culture!
I watched this a few days ago. I thought it was really good.

I ghosted Scientology(ists).
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cancel culture comes back to bite us on the arse! ignoramus 9 595 April 20, 2021 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  Cancel Rent Movement onlinebiker 34 2455 September 3, 2020 at 7:02 am
Last Post: CarveTheFive
  Saudi Arabia:Activists appeal to Mariah Carey to cancel Saudi Arabia performance WinterHold 12 1188 January 30, 2019 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Then Your Culture Needs A Lot of Work, You Dumb Fuck Minimalist 13 1623 July 23, 2018 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb