Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I got a Stimulus check.
I got a Stimulus check.
Thing is I don't need it. I get that many do sure. But for now, what my late mother left me is more than enough for now. I get many in the middle class, working and poor, need it, I get that. But what I don't understand is what the selection process was for those who get it. It seems they just cut checks for everyone, even when they are stable. 

I went to my tax lawyer's office today, and the secretary said even she and her husband got one, and they are not doing bad either. I simply don't want to get a letter weeks or months from now saying, "we made a mistake in sending it to you, give us our money back". But if it is all legal, I am going to give the entire check to my best friend who does need it. I just don't want legal trouble or paperwork hassle.
RE: I got a Stimulus check.
I wouldn’t worry about it. Go ahead and give the money to your friend.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
When they send the imperial accountants, play dead.
(August 4, 2020 at 3:22 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I wouldn’t worry about it. Go ahead and give the money to your friend.

Boru

I am sure you are right, and I am worrying for nothing. But quite a few years ago, my late mother got a letter from the IRS claiming she owed them $20,000 dollars. Paperwork issue sure, and it did get corrected, and she didn't owe it. 

But along side this, I just got a letter over a state tax return check, which I cashed, and the letter said their records claim I had not cashed it. They wanted me to send it back, or pay the $58 back until they could determine if I was entitled to the return. 

I don't think anything evil is going on. But I am not giving Trump any damned credit for this, even if it is legal. I don't need it first off, and if the GOP had not been screwing workers over for 40 years on wages, and not guttedded funding for emergencies like today, this pandemic wouldn't have gotten as bad as it has.

(August 4, 2020 at 3:25 pm)no one Wrote: When they send the imperial accountants, play dead.

"Luke" I am an IRS agent.
Ok.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I gave most to my kids, some to a fund for local restaurant and bar workers, and spent the rest on materials for a project.  It's not like the government gave me anything.  It was my money to begin with.
(August 4, 2020 at 3:38 pm)Ranjr Wrote: I gave most to my kids, some to a fund for local restaurant and bar workers, and spent the rest on materials for a project.  It's not like the government gave me anything.  It was my money to begin with.

Actually, it was your great-grandkids’ money, but let’s not quibble.

Boru
(August 4, 2020 at 3:43 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 4, 2020 at 3:38 pm)Ranjr Wrote: I gave most to my kids, some to a fund for local restaurant and bar workers, and spent the rest on materials for a project.  It's not like the government gave me anything.  It was my money to begin with.

Actually, it was your great-grandkids’ money, but let’s not quibble.

Boru

The GOP loves borrowing from the future to to maintain bubble economies that end up costing us long term.
(August 4, 2020 at 3:46 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(August 4, 2020 at 3:43 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Actually, it was your great-grandkids’ money, but let’s not quibble.

Boru

The GOP loves borrowing from the future to to maintain bubble economies that end up costing us long term.

Yeah, don’t put all the blame on Republicans.

I’m curious - when did you get this stimulus check?

Boru
I felt the same way. It's nice to get free money and all, but we both kept our jobs and are fine so far.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dang I Got the Virus LinuxGal 1 495 December 20, 2022 at 10:27 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Gas and Go smoke em if you got em. Taxes. Brian37 25 1800 October 12, 2021 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Marxism, what you got? Spongebob 237 11346 August 31, 2021 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Maybe Putin Will Write A Check? Minimalist 0 272 October 13, 2018 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Use this to check your irony meter. Gawdzilla Sama 5 518 August 6, 2018 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  The Orange Shitgibbon Got Played Minimalist 2 426 July 31, 2018 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Looks Like The WLB Got Hoodwinked Minimalist 53 5936 June 14, 2018 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Seems Roy Moore Got Tired of Waiting For Jesus To Get Off His Ass Minimalist 32 5507 January 3, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: A Theist
  Hillary Clinton got hacked.... again.... dyresand 7 2285 July 30, 2016 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Things Just Got Serious Minimalist 1 903 July 11, 2016 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: vorlon13