Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creationism
Creationism
The one fallible aspect of creationist thought is that all must have a creator.

Therefore, something must have created god.

But then theists decide via apologetic argumentation that special pleading is in order, thus stating that god always existed.

Think
RE: Creationism
(August 10, 2020 at 10:10 am)Eleven Wrote: The one fallible aspect of creationist thought is that all must have a creator.

But then theists decide via apologetic argumentation that special pleading is in order, thus stating that god always existed.

Think

Yes, if a god made EVERYTHING then where was he before he made it??
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

They will just say that God is the answer to infinite regress caused by the idea that things need a creator. Yes, it is special pleading but also how creationism scratches the itch of, "Where did all this shit come from?" I'm an atheist and totally believe in evolution and abiogenesis but that is out of necessity. The adult in me holds the belief but the kid in me still wishes there was a thing that controls it all.
If only God exists, God IS the universe, everything that exists. Once you have a God, a universe is no longer a novel idea.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
"God" is just a bad answer to hard questions.
"Ya'lls rules don't apply to God!"
(August 10, 2020 at 10:10 am)Eleven Wrote: The one fallible aspect of creationist thought is that all must have a creator.

Think

Asking "if everything has a creator, then what created God?" is a lot like asking "if people evolved from monkeys then why are there still monkeys?" The question shows that you don't understand the argument. 

Granted, the straw man version is a lot more convenient.

Think

This is an old and debunked argument. Unfortunately like "The Walking Dead", there are morons who cling to old mythology in reality. 

The problem with any omi-max god claim is that if something cannot come from nothing, then the claimed god had a source too. And that leads to the problem of infinite regress.
(August 10, 2020 at 4:10 pm)Belacqua Wrote:

Think

Asking "if everything has a creator, then what created God?" is a lot like asking "if people evolved from monkeys then why are there still monkeys?" The question shows that you don't understand the argument. 

Granted, the straw man version is a lot more convenient.

I agree it's a strawman, but it's also a case of special pleading

Atheists tend to frame the argument as, 'If everything that exists had a cause, then God must have a cause', which theists haven't argued since Aristotle made his case for an uncaused cause.

The proper argument is, 'Everything that began to exist must have a cause.  God is eternal and so does not require a cause, since God has always existed.'  This form of the argument is rife with its own problems, since 1) Theists don't adequately make the case for God having existed forever (other than definitionally and via a rather shaky appeal to infinite regress) and 2) This is nowhere near establishing a theistic god.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 10, 2020 at 4:16 pm)Brian37 Wrote:

Think

This is an old and debunked argument. Unfortunately like "The Walking Dead", there are morons who cling to old mythology in reality. 

The problem with any omi-max god claim is that if something cannot come from nothing, then the claimed god had a source too. And that leads to the problem of infinite regress.

Dafuq is omi-max?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A theory about Creationism leaders Lucanus 24 7066 October 17, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Science Vs. The Forces of Creationism ScienceAf 15 2910 August 30, 2016 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Defending Young-Earth Creationism Scientifically JonDarbyXIII 42 10638 January 14, 2015 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  creationism belief makes you a sicko.. profanity alert for you sensitive girly men heathendegenerate 4 2014 May 7, 2014 at 12:00 am
Last Post: heathendegenerate
  Creationism in UK Schools Chuff 10 5519 August 3, 2012 at 9:50 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Foundational Falsehood of Creationism Gooders1002 10 7489 May 23, 2012 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: The Heff
  Lewis Black on creationism orogenicman 7 3797 April 14, 2012 at 9:04 am
Last Post: fuckass365
  Creationism Liu Bei mixed with Leondias 77 17643 September 20, 2011 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The Opie and Anthony Show Tackles Creationism darkblight 0 1392 May 30, 2011 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: darkblight
  Young Earth Creationism Vs. Science (Statler Waldorf Contd) Sam 358 267438 March 3, 2011 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris