Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Of Ladybugs And Mittens, By Brian37

When we are young
Many fear the dark
And of Detroit and lions
In the same state our grandparent's dwell

But further north
Traversing a city
At the top of the mitten
Things got scary

The isolated cottage 
On the end of the road
In the middle of the night
This child gave fright

So what did I do
At the beginning of my night
To avoid the terrors
Of the absence of light?

My grandmother's bedroom
To which I'd been subscribed 
In this isolated house
At the end of the road

Had been placed 
On the night stand
An ornate porcelain 
Lamp with decorations

Afraid of the dark
I need the night light
During the day
I saw its ornate

Bright white 
With ladybug pattern
A tiny lamp
That held me 
Throughout the night.

Picture an old house
With old things surrounding
Picture yourself 
Young and frightened

Picture yourself 
In a room of old
Picture yourself
In the middle of the night

Then picture yourself
In a bright white light
A lamp covered in ladybugs
To get you through the night.

(END)

My late grandmother lived in Traverse City Michigan, and it was an old house, and as a kid, the couple times I went there, it was isolated and dark at night and it creep'ed me out as a kid. But the one thing she did have were two ornate porcelain mushroom shaped lamps, which would glow and show off the patterns on the lamp. My favorite, and I wish I had kept track of it, was a lamp with ladybug patterns on the white lamp. 

When I say "porcelain" maybe I am wrong, but the lamps were very tiny, not more than 4 inches tall, mushroom shaped, and bone white, and with the glow of the light it would make the white bright and the patterns stick out.
RE: Of Ladybugs And Mittens, By Brian37
In fact, my last trip to my adoptive grandmothers house, in Traverse City MI, I think I was 6 years old, or so, and my adoptive mother and Father with my late grandmother were in a car, and we dropped her off at her house, and went out to do other things. I can remember my late biological father reacting to my grandmother, reacting to pain, but her telling my late father she was ok. We dropped her off, went off to do whatever. When we came back, I was the first into the house, and I discovered my late grandmother dead. I didn't know what it meant at the time, I all I could remember is her not moving, then running to my parents to tell them she wasn't moving. My parents told me to stay outside and guide rescue to the house, which I did. Even back then, I didn't know what death was.
RE: Of Ladybugs And Mittens, By Brian37
(September 18, 2020 at 12:35 pm)Brian37 Wrote: In fact, my last trip to my adoptive grandmothers house, in Traverse City MI, I think I was 6 years old, or so,  and my adoptive mother and Father with my late grandmother were in a car, and we dropped her off at her house, and went out to do other things. I can remember my late biological father reacting to my grandmother, reacting to pain, but her telling my late father she was ok. We dropped her off, went off to do whatever. When we came back, I was the first into the house, and I discovered my late grandmother dead. I didn't know what it meant at the time, I all I could remember is her not moving, then running to my parents to tell them she wasn't moving. My parents told me to stay outside and guide rescue to the house, which I did. Even back then, I didn't know what death was.

DAMN EDIT........ I meant adoptive father. I FUCKING HATE MY A D D.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Poem "Squatter45" By Brian37 Brian37 7 351 January 30, 2021 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Tattoo #69388 By Brian37 Brian37 8 2243 December 17, 2019 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Dihydrogen Monoxide by Brian37 Brian37 4 859 December 11, 2016 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  "Dear Secret Service" By Brian37 Brian37 0 522 November 23, 2016 at 11:19 am
Last Post: Brian37
Rainbow "Stunned" by Brian37 Brian37 39 3491 November 10, 2016 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas