Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tattoo #69388 By Brian37
Tattoo #69388 By Brian37
 Tattoo #69388 By Brian37  (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB and @brianrrs37 on twitter).

Anita knew 
What would await 
Once she passed through
That genocidal gate

Most would meet
Their horrible fate
Work sets you free
Music her reprieve 

The virtuosos 
Were targets too
But to survive
They wrote and played music

Amongst the smoke stacks
And Mengele's lab
Songs like "Fantasy"
The musicians wrote down

It could have all died
But Francesco Lotoro
Long after 
The Nazis fell

Knew that 
It must be saved
The music of
The imprisoned slaves

And he is right
About Wallfisch's plight
Music never dies
In such grim light

It is up to those
To remember the bones
To remember the ashes
And piles of shoes

The mountains of suitcases
Never to be used
The stolen lives
Remembered though music

Anita hinted
About today
Some seem to forget
Their history

And meanwhile
In DC
One ignorant man
Does not see

How easy 
It is to treat
Another human 
Easy to beat

But as Lotoro 
Rightfully says
No matter what
Music wins
(end)

This poem was in inspired by a 60 minutes story about the Musicians and composers who died and survived Auscwitz.
Lifetime Curator Franchesco Lotoro has spent his live digging through archives, family histories, records of the camp to save the music played by the dead and survivors. Anita -Lasker-Wllfisch was a survivor and musician forced to play music at the camp.
The story made me cry, just like thinking about Ann Frank. It is horrifying, but also is a huge example how humans find a way to cope under extreme duress. conditions. 

What is truly horrifying about the hypocrisy of the Nazis, is that they actually had a seperate camp where they used Jews as props to film to prove to the world they were treating them well.

Here is the link that inspired me.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/holocaust-p...019-12-15/
RE: Tattoo #69388 By Brian37
If I had known you were a poet I would have steered you to Chattanooga.
Brian, what follows is NOT a criticism - not of you or your views or your poetry.  Please keep this in mind before you snap like a defective bungee cord.

Have you ever considered writing in something other than quatrains?  There's nothing wrong with quatrains and I'm not saying that you shouldn't construct your poems that way, but all of your poems (here, at least) seem to have a sort of sameness about them.  You can write poems any way you like, and I'd be the last one to say otherwise.  I'm just curious if you've ever written sonnets or rhyming couplets or anything but quatrains.

To reiterate:  This is a question, not a criticism.  If you like quatrains, that's all well and good.  How you write your poems is your business and nobody else's.

(Eleven disclaimers.  I hope that's enough.)

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Limericks would be cool.

X-rated limericks would be better.
[Image: 3jnd8t.jpg]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(December 16, 2019 at 8:39 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Brian, what follows is NOT a criticism - not of you or your views or your poetry.  Please keep this in mind before you snap like a defective bungee cord.

Have you ever considered writing in something other than quatrains?  There's nothing wrong with quatrains and I'm not saying that you shouldn't construct your poems that way, but all of your poems (here, at least) seem to have a sort of sameness about them.  You can write poems any way you like, and I'd be the last one to say otherwise.  I'm just curious if you've ever written sonnets or rhyming couplets or anything but quatrains.

To reiterate:  This is a question, not a criticism.  If you like quatrains, that's all well and good.  How you write your poems is your business and nobody else's.

(Eleven disclaimers.  I hope that's enough.)

Boru

Warhol was criticized for his "sameness".

I wish you would get it. 

Art would not exist, if artists were all sycophants and lemmings out to kiss each other's asses.

And again, and I cannot state this enough. Stop thinking that your opinion of me counts to me. 

If anyone reading this wants to consider me a Hitchhiker's Guide poet, or a Russ Meyer poet. I DON'T CARE.

I am not a lost puppy, I have never claimed to be the best either.

So stop wasting your time and mine on this subject.
Wow. I wasn't criticizing, I wasn't offering an opinion.  I was just asking if you've ever written poems in any other style.  It was an attempt to engage you in a discussion of poetry (poetry in general, not just yours).

I clearly failed.  Sorry to get you wound up.  That was honestly not my intention.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 17, 2019 at 2:40 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Wow. I wasn't criticizing, I wasn't offering an opinion.  I was just asking if you've ever written poems in any other style.  It was an attempt to engage you in a discussion of poetry (poetry in general, not just yours).

I clearly failed.  Sorry to get you wound up.  That was honestly not my intention.

Boru

You "failed" in thinking your same old tired arguments would change my mind, nothing more.
(December 17, 2019 at 3:35 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(December 17, 2019 at 2:40 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Wow. I wasn't criticizing, I wasn't offering an opinion.  I was just asking if you've ever written poems in any other style.  It was an attempt to engage you in a discussion of poetry (poetry in general, not just yours).

Boru

You "failed" in thinking your same old tired arguments would change my mind, nothing more.

I wasn't making an argument or trying to change your mind.  It was a simple question, and I went to great lengths to make sure you understood that it WAS a question, nothing more.

Grow up and learn how to accept a fucking apology.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Poem "Squatter45" By Brian37 Brian37 7 387 January 30, 2021 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Of Ladybugs And Mittens, By Brian37 Brian37 2 2642 September 18, 2020 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  A tattoo idea. paulpablo 14 2965 August 24, 2017 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Dihydrogen Monoxide by Brian37 Brian37 4 864 December 11, 2016 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  "Dear Secret Service" By Brian37 Brian37 0 533 November 23, 2016 at 11:19 am
Last Post: Brian37
Rainbow "Stunned" by Brian37 Brian37 39 3597 November 10, 2016 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas