Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 7, 2024, 10:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Thanksgiving Plans?
Your Thanksgiving Plans?
Well with Covid19 this year, Thanksgiving plans received a new wrinkle.  For those who want to spend time with family, they might not get to.  For those who don't, they have the perfect excuse to miss this year.  What are your plans for Thanksgiving this year?  Will you stay home?  Or are you going to visit family? Or maybe have family come to visit?  

This'll be the first year my family isn't doing thanksgiving, or at least not as a big group.  Me and my sister will fix a small turkey and that's it.  I want to visit my kids (see my youngest grandchildren for the first time.  Would be nice).  But I've decided against traveling this year due to COVID.  Instead, I'm going to visit a couple of weeks from now when less people are traveling.  After all, dates are meaningless.  You can celebrate your own thanksgiving whenever you want.  Obviously, for some people it's harder if they can't get off work.  But that's an entirely different topic.

So what are your plans?  Is Thanksgiving still on? Or I guess for those outside of America, you never celebrated it anyway. (Except in countries like Canada, who've since long passed Thanksgiving, or other countries that celebrate it as well.  Not sure it's a big thing in other countries or not)
"Tradition" is just a word people use to make themselves feel better about being an asshole.
RE: Your Thanksgiving Plans?
Nada, as I've done for years.

But I work the overnight shift. Even if I did have plans, would those plans extend to 11pm at night? Hardly.

However, this year with the scheduling all messed up and there being no official scheduler for months, and having just worked this past weekend, it just so happens that my first night off will be Thanksgiving night going into Friday morning.

Go figure.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Taking over the world.
(November 25, 2020 at 10:46 am)no one Wrote: Taking over the world.

"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
As a Brit, I've always felt a bit miffed at how we don't get to have thanksgiving jollies. Might cook roast chicken tomorrow to join in anyway. Gratitude is...good.  Hungry
My sisters are bringing a care package of left-over turkey. Oh, and spending money.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Did it yesterday, full on floribbean....all made the day before and kept in foil pans aside from the birds.

Two breasts roasted on the grill with a full pound of extra spicey ms dash compound butter. Cornbread stuffing with habs and cilantro. Green bean casserole with fresh beans, homemade cream of mushroom with homegrown shiitake and a half gallon of half and half (another box of butter)..panko fried onion topper. Ten pounds of yukon gold mash - baked (more butter) until it crisped across the top in the knots my daughters drew. The boys got crawdads for appetizers from the creek at the bottom of our hollar - served in bacon grease and butter leftover from making the stuffing. Sweet potato and pumpkin pies with fresh whipped cream, a few chocolate cakes, enough grvy to drown a full grown man.....handles of cap, jack, and makers, and a half ounce of dro.

The Wife, our kids, my mother and my brother - and my childhood best buddy. It was fuckin great - and there's nothing to clean up today. I'm gonna try to catch a musky tomorrow while all the suckers are stuck at home. Or maybe I'll just go out on the boat, get high, and pretend that I tried to catch fish. 50/50.

(they never believe me when come home empty handed, born and raised poacher that I am - but I don't care.... lying to their face is part of the fun...I suspect they all agree)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Ordering pickup today and spending tomorrow at home with my POSSLQ. I would have liked to spend time with two of my sisters and their children; but they're in Tampa and it's an eight-hour drive; too many chances to pick up a virus on the way.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
I wouldn't go to florida right now - they're in full on death cult mode. Inevitably, contact traces will show that florida spread covid up and down the eastern seaboard. How many people disinfect a gas pump handle before they use it?

My grandfather just beat cancer (and a few months before my aunt had her breasts removed). We would have loved to have had them or go there...especially since he's getting to the point where any holiday might be his last and my aunt is the other cook in the family. Her butternut squash casserole is death in a pan with an inviting smile.

OTOH, I hear the fishing in the bay is great since the plague hit.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Husband and I will go to my older daughter's house. It's just a couple miles away so no travel involved. She, her husband, and 15 year old daughter will be there. My son will make an appearance...he also lives here in town. His girlfriend and her daughter will be elsewhere. There may be one stray teen there who would be escaping her screwed up home and mother. So, six - maybe seven people with plenty of room for distancing since the guys will eat in the living room while watching football. The teen(s) will disappear after eating.

I am in charge of making mac and cheese and also the mashed potatoes.

I handed the job of Thanksgiving to my daughter a couple years ago.
[Image: MmQV79M.png]