Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 9:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ronald Reagan
Question 
Ronald Reagan
Could someone PLEASE explain to me why Ronald Reagan is held in such reverence?
RE: Ronald Reagan
He had friends at FOX.
The sort of people who would hold him in reverence are precisely the sort whose reverence brings the revered into disrepute.
He wasnt over this side of the pond.
We kinda looked at America in a 'what the fuck are they doing' way.
I thought he was going to be your most laughable president, then you wheeled out George Bush junior.

At this point most people over here would believe you'd vote in a chimp if it got the right funding.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Quote:We kinda looked at America in a 'what the fuck are they doing' way.

Yeah, same here,since about 1950. Generally, we tend look at the US as a greedy 10 year old child with a loaded Uzi.Angel Cloud
He empowered greedy republican fucks.

They love his sorry, senile, ass for it.
(March 2, 2011 at 2:59 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: He wasnt over this side of the pond.
We kinda looked at America in a 'what the fuck are they doing' way.
I thought he was going to be your most laughable president, then you wheeled out George Bush junior.

At this point most people over here would believe you'd vote in a chimp if it got the right funding.

We should DARE Haliburton to fund a campaign for one, tell him that Chimp president will legalise chimp labour so they can spend less money searching the countries they invade for oil.
(March 2, 2011 at 2:29 pm)theVOID Wrote: He had friends at FOX.

LOL..Fox has a trademark patent on the words "Fair and balanced"..
Devil
(March 2, 2011 at 3:10 pm)padraic Wrote:
Quote:We kinda looked at America in a 'what the fuck are they doing' way.

Yeah, same here,since about 1950. Generally, we tend look at the US as a greedy 10 year old child with a loaded Uzi.Angel Cloud

And by loaded Uzi we mean 5,000 nuclear weapons...

(March 2, 2011 at 3:38 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote:
(March 2, 2011 at 2:29 pm)theVOID Wrote: He had friends at FOX.

LOL..Fox has a trademark patent on the words "Fair and balanced"..
Devil

That's like Gaddafi trademarking "Reasonable and empathetic"

On a side note, I like Fox Business.
(March 2, 2011 at 2:14 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: Could someone PLEASE explain to me why Ronald Reagan is held in such reverence?

1. Because he created the myth of "trickle down economics", which Republicans have been successfully selling ever since despite the fact that it's been proven for 30 years to do nothing but make the rich even richer.

2. Because his catch-phrases about "government IS the problem" has fueled the Republican co-opting of libertarians ever since, despite the fact that Republican foreign and domestic policy actually grows the size of government and makes it more intrusive, not less.

3. Because he showed the Republicans that what you do or achieve isn't important so long as you mind your marketing and public image.

4. Because he was lucky enough to be in office when the Cold War went in our favor.

5. Because he has a kindly grandfatherly demeanor and the rest of the myth surrounding him bears no resemblance to reality. But then, conservatives can't seem to remember what was happening two years ago (some of them currently think that Obama was in office when the economy melted down), never mind what the real Reagan was like during the 80s. Facts aren't important to these people.

Quote:I thought he was going to be your most laughable president, then you wheeled out George Bush junior.

I've been deeply embarrassed by my country's behavior over the last decade but I will say in our defense, "we" didn't wheel out Bush Jr. The Supreme Court did. Bush lost the popular vote. The Supreme Court stopped the recount and simply appointed a president. I didn't know they could do that. Must have missed that part in our constitution.

That's why when I write "president" Bush, I put the office title in quotes.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Almost Makes Me Pine for Reagan's Astrologer Minimalist 6 962 November 28, 2017 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What's up with Trump lovers comparing him to Reagan? NuclearEnergy 15 3053 April 11, 2017 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Nancy Reagan (Anne Robbins) DEAD at age 94 vorlon13 22 2287 March 6, 2016 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  George Bush and Ronald Regan debate immigration 1980 CapnAwesome 0 742 January 7, 2016 at 1:44 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  A Reagan I Can Stand! Minimalist 14 1761 July 17, 2015 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Conservatives Go Nuts! Saint Reagan Denounced! Minimalist 7 1634 May 19, 2015 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Students Fucked By Reagan Minimalist 13 3451 May 27, 2014 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Question about Reagan DeistPaladin 9 1872 June 28, 2011 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Ronald Reagan $50 bill reverendjeremiah 26 6838 March 7, 2011 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Ubermensch