Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Congressional Term Limits
Congressional Term Limits
I'm wondering if anyone here would be interested in taking up the following position.
"Congressional Term Limits would be good for the US"

For context as to why I am asking this...
A few days ago the issue of Congressional term limits was brought to my attention.  I have, for years now, been aware of how term limits(the lack thereof) have been handled in the US legislative branch, but I had not taken the time to research it.  So...I started researching it, and the more I look into it, the more difficult I am finding it to believe that Congressional term limits are a good thing.

I'll be the first to admit, that this has been a huge cognitive dissonance for me.  I was expecting to look into this a bit, and find that Congressional term limits are an obviously good thing, and a slam dunk policy to advocate...That's not what I found. 

So with that in mind, I am reaching out to a few different platforms, forums, peoples, etc to see if I can't find someone to steel-man the argument for Congressional term limits.  The approval rating for Congressional term limits is incredibly high, and has broad bipartisan support, so I know there are smart well meaning individuals that hold this position.  I'm hoping that by reaching out and engaging with others that I can be more confident in how I am approaching the issue, whether that is to be in support of it, to reject it, or to remain agnostic on it.

Mentioned above, but worth clarifying...Initially I was in support of Congressional term limits, and now I am agnostic on it...

So, with that in mind...what is the argument for instituting Congressional term limits!!!  I will take the position that Congressional term limits are NOT a good thing to help move the conversation forward.
RE: Congressional Term Limits
I think that Senate term limits are more important than House term limits.

Senators rarely get voted out. That by itself is a problem. Either senators are just universally loved, or else the system gives them enormous advantages in re-election. If the second, that can entrench corruption.
Why is it bad that senators don’t get voted out? Is it just a corruption concern?
Politicians and diapers ahould be changed often and for the same reason.    Anonymous
(January 1, 2021 at 7:28 pm)Aristocatt Wrote: I'm wondering if anyone here would be interested in taking up the following position.
"Congressional Term Limits would be good for the US"

For context as to why I am asking this...
A few days ago the issue of Congressional term limits was brought to my attention.  I have, for years now, been aware of how term limits(the lack thereof) have been handled in the US legislative branch, but I had not taken the time to research it.  So...I started researching it, and the more I look into it, the more difficult I am finding it to believe that Congressional term limits are a good thing.

I'll be the first to admit, that this has been a huge cognitive dissonance for me.  I was expecting to look into this a bit, and find that Congressional term limits are an obviously good thing, and a slam dunk policy to advocate...That's not what I found. 

So with that in mind, I am reaching out to a few different platforms, forums, peoples, etc to see if I can't find someone to steel-man the argument for Congressional term limits.  The approval rating for Congressional term limits is incredibly high, and has broad bipartisan support, so I know there are smart well meaning individuals that hold this position.  I'm hoping that by reaching out and engaging with others that I can be more confident in how I am approaching the issue, whether that is to be in support of it, to reject it, or to remain agnostic on it.

Mentioned above, but worth clarifying...Initially I was in support of Congressional term limits, and now I am agnostic on it...

So, with that in mind...what is the argument for instituting Congressional term limits!!!  I will take the position that Congressional term limits are NOT a good thing to help move the conversation forward.

What is your reasoning in not supporting limits? What are the pros and cons in your mind?
The only way to do this would be by constitutional amendment, a process entirely in the hands of elected politicians.

Good luck with that.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 2, 2021 at 4:31 am)Apollo Wrote: What is your reasoning in not supporting limits? What are the pros and cons in your mind?

So that’s pretty much the thing...all of the things I assumed were pros, like decreasing corruption, decreasing lobbying, etc, appear to be cons(term limits make the problem either no better or they make it worse) I’m not sure if there are any pros.

Take just a basic example of whether or not term limits might broadly reduce corruption by changing their incentives...
https://economics.yale.edu/sites/default...071112.pdf
It doesn't seem to be the case that it makes the incentives any better, but it does appear to make them worse in the final year of an officials term.

We could drill down into the specifics of the kind of corruption we think we might be addressing too, and the data isn't very promising.

The wall that I am kind of hitting here, is I thought term limits were an obviously good thing until I started looking into it more. Now I have a bit of cognitive dissonance, with part of me being amazed at how ineffectual term limits are, and the other part thinking "I must just be missing something here". So I am trying to be as open ended with the question as I can to see how other people might frame their arguments.

(January 2, 2021 at 6:00 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The only way to do this would be by constitutional amendment, a process entirely in the hands of elected politicians.

Good luck with that.

Boru

It isn't immediately clear to me that a state couldn't sue again and possibly overturn term limits v Thornton.  That had a pretty strong partisan split Dems(majority) Reps(Minority), and no one from the majority is in SCOTUS any more.

That would probably be the path of least resistance, to attempt to make it constitutional for individual states to mandate term limits for their Congressional officials.
The long the Congresscritter stays in office the more power they get. It's an advantage to a state to have very senior Congressmen, they get seats on the House Ways and Means committee. https://waysandmeans.house.gov/
(January 2, 2021 at 11:32 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The long the Congresscritter stays in office the more power they get. It's an advantage to a state to have very senior Congressmen, they get seats on the House Ways and Means committee. https://waysandmeans.house.gov/
Yeah, that makes sense to me, I’m not sure it’s really a good or a bad thing though. Having experience, on the whole is probably a good thing, and it makes sense that more experienced congressional members would have more influence.
(January 2, 2021 at 1:44 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Politicians and diapers should be changed often and for the same reason.    Anonymous

Mark Twain said it. One wise cat, right there.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IIhan Omar wins Minnesota Congressional Primary Foxaèr 0 227 August 12, 2020 at 10:34 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The 2018 mid-term US elections. Jehanne 18 4515 October 7, 2017 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Georgia's 6th Congressional District Election Secular Elf 27 10049 June 22, 2017 at 9:45 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Quick fix marketing, and long term politics. Brian37 6 1586 April 19, 2017 at 11:44 am
Last Post: brewer
  One Month into his term, Trump goes....back on the campaign trail? Aroura 25 5803 February 23, 2017 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Violet
  John Oliver on Congressional Fundraising Minimalist 2 516 April 5, 2016 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why the term "people of color" is ridiculous. Lemonvariable72 24 4831 June 16, 2015 at 6:30 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  Dems and long term mistakes. Brian37 47 12199 November 7, 2014 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Heywood
  Pregnant, brain-dead Texas woman forced to carry “distinctly abnormal" fetus to term Ryantology 27 5108 January 28, 2014 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  First openly homosexual senator elected to term. Creed of Heresy 3 1738 November 19, 2012 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy