Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone watch "Adam Ruins Everything"?
Anyone watch "Adam Ruins Everything"?
I love that show because it exposes the abuses of corporate America. 

Anywho, I was watching a repeat this morning overnight, and the episode was about how Ticket Master has a monopoly on music venues and price gouges and unless you are say Beyonce, most artists are lucky if they break even, and have to rely, not on their music, but become basically salespeople for the record label. 

Anyway, anyone wanna guess which band the show mentioned? Ticket Master didn't exist during the 70s, but the show did mention this certain band in the history of music.
RE: Anyone watch "Adam Ruins Everything"?
'The Amboy Dukes'?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 14, 2021 at 5:44 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 'The Amboy Dukes'?

Boru

No, close though, it was the Andrew Sisters. After all I am the ABBA boy from company B.
I watched it a little bit and he seems to be wrong about the stuff he is saying like that electric cars pollute more than gasoline cars.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
More than hybrids, was their main comparison - and they can. It all depends on where you get your power from. At the time the episode was written, you'd have a higher carbon footprint with an ev than you would with a hybrid in a quarter of all us states.

Then you have to factor in that their hybrid was used but still worked - the main draw was to reduce carbon footprint...the ev.. a brand new tesla. Greenies get overprotective. He was railing against green advertising conceits - not evs. For most of us, buying a used hybrid is probably the best bet...but for those of us who already have a hybrid, and who do live in areas with cleaner energy, a used ev would be the way to go.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
From what I remember (I haven't re-watched the video yet) is that Adam claims how EVs pollute more than gasoline cars because they take electricity from the grid that gets supplied by coal and oil. But that seems to be misleading.

Here's for instance from Skeptoid podcast episode on that subject that came out not long after Adam's episode

Quote:The claim that the lifecycle of an electric car produces more greenhouse gases than an internal combustion car is entirely the result of 50% carefully cherrypicked spin doctoring combined with 50% outright falsehoods. Here's the only way that argument can be made to work. If you buy an electric car with the biggest battery that requires the most manufacturing resources, if you drive your electric car in the least efficient way, if you drive your electric car in the worst climatic conditions for battery life, if you charge it only with electricity generated entirely by oil or coal, if you do not properly recycle the battery at the end of its life, and if you choose for your comparison the biggest-battery electric car against the smallest, lightest, compact internal combustion car: only then will it be true that the lifespan of your electric car generates more greenhouse gases than an internal combu— Oh wait, no; crunching the numbers again, the answer is still no. Even this worst case scenario substantially beats even the most efficient internal combustion cars. There's still one thing we have to do to before our electric car will actually be worse, and that's crash it and remove it from service before it's been driven anywhere. Because as soon as you and your internal combustion counterpart start driving, the scale tips the other direction.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4687

And I myself don't think that EVs are the best solution because there are still like over billion of cars to be replaced (and I think Adam mentioned that), so perhaps the best solution would be carbon capture fuel since then people wouldn't have to buy new cars and carbon would only circle around instead of new carbon (and other pollutants) being dug up from the ground and pumped in the air.

But then again lots (or most?) people do buy every car every 15 or so years so why not electric?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
No, but I have seen "Ralph Breaks the Internet".
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 16, 2021 at 4:55 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: From what I remember (I haven't re-watched the video yet) is that Adam claims how EVs pollute more than gasoline cars because they take electricity from the grid that gets supplied by coal and oil. But that seems to be misleading.

Hybrids, again.  The episiode setup was about a guy who had a hybrid thinking of purchasing a new ev to cut carbon. It was their intent to demonstrate how an ev's carbon savings are conditional.  They are.   In a quarter of states and for all of the people who live in them...a hybrid had a lower carbon footprint than an ev precisely because of how they generated that electricity. 

That was four years ago.   Last year we got new numbers.  Hybrids continue to beat evs in Hawaii, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, N Dakota, Utah, West Virginia, and Wyoming.  In seven more states, evs are becoming more competitive but certainly not competitive enough to offset their more costly manufacture (these two groups were the quarter of states in which a hybrid flatly outperformed evs on the carbon front when the episode aired.  

W Virginia was (and still is) a huge outlier... and would actually fit the mischaracterization of the episode that lead to a bunch of well meaning but pointless attempts at a rebuttal.   There's very little, if any, carbon benefit to driving an ev over a gas powered vehicle in that state. This is because an ev is estimated to produce over 9klbs of carbon well to wheel annually in WV, which is right up there with any comparable gas powered vehicle.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I don't watch TV channels Interaktive 43 2884 January 27, 2023 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Guys, Please watch this movie! I loved it. ignoramus 19 3112 September 1, 2017 at 6:01 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  DNA proves scientic Adam. ignoramus 24 7789 July 1, 2017 at 4:29 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Do not watch the movie, "The Arrival" because it is pro-life propaganda. {Spoilers} Foxaèr 21 5025 February 6, 2017 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Anyone watch h3h3productions? Heat 0 889 January 15, 2016 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Heat
Video You Gotta Watch Cinjin 5 1146 June 4, 2015 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Saxmoof
  Watch this guy rip on Duck Dynasty. Brian37 0 725 May 17, 2015 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  List the shows you watch Foxaèr 48 6076 March 10, 2015 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Adam and Dog vermin 1 1022 December 1, 2014 at 1:18 am
Last Post: FifthElement
  Man saves ducks, MUST WATCH! Brian37 10 2585 September 1, 2014 at 5:02 pm