Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Obama To Restart Guantanamo Bay Trials After Two-Year Ban
Obama To Restart Guantanamo Bay Trials After Two-Year Ban
Obama makes even more liberals angry... again. Sad
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
RE: Obama To Restart Guantanamo Bay Trials After Two-Year Ban
You mean people actually expected him to close it? And here I thought I was supposed to be the optimistic one... Sleepy
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
From the article you posted, it seems like Congress is to blame for blocking the trials on mainland America in the first place.
(March 7, 2011 at 11:40 pm)Tiberius Wrote: From the article you posted, it seems like Congress is to blame for blocking the trials on mainland America in the first place.

Silly american congress, can't deal with the fact that criminals at least deserve a fair trial
I'm not a fan of President-blaming. Modern presidents are the scapegoats of the media. I'm sorry to say it, but if you are disappointed that a president isn't keeping his promises, you haven't been paying attention. This isn't a monarchy. I would say the candidates are at fault for making promises before they're elected, knowing that this isn't a monarchy and they can't just change whatever they want, but people who believe those promises are to blame. If more people ignored promises and looked more at facts, experience and track records, candidates would eventually have to come up with a new strategy. /end rant

It was unrealistic to assume that he could do anything about that mess of a prison. There is a lot of fear involved with trying terrorists on American soil. Fuck, a trial like that is a suicide bomber target if I have ever seen one. That isn't to say that we shouldn't try terrorists here. It's just a scary subject really. Now, if they could maybe run Guantanamo a little better, this wouldn't be such an issue. It doesn't need to be closed. That was a promise obviously aimed at garnering votes as it went far beyond what is actually necessary. He should have promised fair trials and sentences, not that the promise would have meant anything.
(March 7, 2011 at 7:58 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: You mean people actually expected him to close it? And here I thought I was supposed to be the optimistic one... Sleepy

Gee, you're how old?

I was over 40, before I developed such a cynical world view--and that's because I'm an Aussie. One of our more attractive national traits is a healthy contempt for politicians,clergy,lawyers ,journalists and other members of the criminal bourgeoisie.

As an outsider, I thought I had Obama's number during the election campaign.IE all sizzle and no steak. That if elected, it would be business as usual.I was right.Thinking

Of course the US isn't a monarchy.However, during that billion dollar campaign those running for office and those supporting them behaved as if it is,making promises a president could not keep. A president actually has very little power and needs the support of congress and the Senate to govern.Obama has neither, and is consequently a lame duck.
(March 8, 2011 at 4:50 am)padraic Wrote:
(March 7, 2011 at 7:58 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: You mean people actually expected him to close it? And here I thought I was supposed to be the optimistic one... Sleepy

Gee, you're how old?

I was going to answer that in several ways, but a question gripped me. Just where did the idea that it is rude to inquire a woman's age come from? 0.o

The idea is so blatantly crazy... it has to be british Dodgy

Quote:I was over 40, before I developed such a cynical world view--and that's because I'm an Aussie. One of our more attractive national traits is a healthy contempt for politicians,clergy,lawyers ,journalists and other members of the criminal bourgeoisie.

I really must visit australia someday... i'll probably spend a short vacation there when I'm queen of all ^_^ Don't want to stick around too long when everyone has a healthy contempt for me ^_^

I bet if I read through my early posts here, I'll go: "was that me? Was i really that childish? I need more spaghetti to handle this!" Smile I don't deny that hanging around people much more experienced and wiser than myself probably changed me into this. That's right all of you are partly responsible for creating *this*, how do you feel now? Tiny Tiger

Quote:As an outsider, I thought I had Obama's number during the election campaign.IE all sizzle and no steak. That if elected, it would be business as usual.I was right.Thinking

Your mention of sizzling steak made me really hungry... i clearly would fail at going on a diet Smile

Quote:Of course the US isn't a monarchy.However, during that billion dollar campaign those running for office and those supporting them behaved as if it is,making promises a president could not keep. A president actually has very little power and needs the support of congress and the Senate to govern.Obama has neither, and is consequently a lame duck.

It was a billion dollar campaign?! TT__TT
Confused Fall
Confusedhock:
Argue

I am... calm... @_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WLCSHoc4ZM

Okay, seriously... we spent 1 billion dollars choosing between our parrots? @_o
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
At this point they could all be sentenced to "time served" and it would be justice.
Obama was not put in office to change things, he was put there to keep them the same.
"If an injury must be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared" - Niccolo Macchiavelli

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You Have Less than One Year ZoomerTrumper 4 397 February 26, 2024 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Two things I want to talk about, politics wise ShinyCrystals 39 2424 September 23, 2023 at 6:39 am
Last Post: no one
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1305 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Big Two G2 USA and China Interaktive 19 1286 May 17, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  BREAKING:Trump refuses to commit to a peaceful transition of power after Election Day WinterHold 97 5346 October 2, 2020 at 1:50 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Justice Obama? BrianSoddingBoru4 33 1538 August 26, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Michelle Obama Crushes It BrianSoddingBoru4 32 1561 August 19, 2020 at 11:00 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Obama Eulogizes Elijah Cummings AFTT47 2 564 October 26, 2019 at 3:01 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  transgender military ban to go into effect Fake Messiah 20 2556 January 25, 2019 at 12:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Two Old Pros - Doing Their Thing Minimalist 8 1040 November 28, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4