Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious excuses for negligence removed!
Religious excuses for negligence removed!
Epic win!

"The Oregon House approved a bill Thursday that would remove legal protection for parents who choose faith healing over medical intervention when treating their children.

The bill passed unanimously, though two Republican representatives raised concerns that the legislation was taking the issue away from juries and sending the state down a slippery slope."

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index..._exce.html
RE: Religious excuses for negligence removed!
Good news in the wake of the nonsense in wisconsin Smile

Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
This is good, since the child has no choice really.
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
I do not know what the bill says in it's entirety, I do think this is a good idea to a point because children can't protect themselves. It should state that a childs situation must be life threating or disabling and at least two doctors agree. The parents should have to pay all the expenses, this would keep people from trying to freeload on the government in the name of religion. What does bother me is the right of individuals to believe as they see fit and the government not interferring, this could lead to laws passed that restricts belief that is protected by our constitution, that government will not make laws against religious belief that is resonable. As I stated I can agree with this law to a point because it does help those who need protection against over zealous religious parents who have been misguided by their leaders.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Quote:What does bother me is the right of individuals to believe as they see fit and the government not interferring,

"Belief" is one thing and, silly though it may be this act does nothing to change what these clowns "believe."

What the act regulates is "conduct." They may not kill their kids in order to prop up their silly beliefs.
(March 11, 2011 at 6:35 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:What does bother me is the right of individuals to believe as they see fit and the government not interferring,

"Belief" is one thing and, silly though it may be this act does nothing to change what these clowns "believe."

What the act regulates is "conduct." They may not kill their kids in order to prop up their silly beliefs.

Yes Min I agree but it's only a short jump to the next step.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(March 11, 2011 at 6:26 pm)Godschild Wrote: What does bother me is the right of individuals to believe as they see fit and the government not interferring, this could lead to laws passed that restricts belief that is protected by our constitution, that government will not make laws against religious belief that is resonable. As I stated I can agree with this law to a point because it does help those who need protection against over zealous religious parents who have been misguided by their leaders.

The belief that you have the right to refuse medical treatment to your child because he/she is being treated by your imaginary friend is not reasonable, whether that treatment is for cancer or an ingrown toenail.
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
(March 11, 2011 at 6:26 pm)Godschild Wrote: I do not know what the bill says in it's entirety, I do think this is a good idea to a point because children can't protect themselves. It should state that a childs situation must be life threating or disabling and at least two doctors agree. The parents should have to pay all the expenses, this would keep people from trying to freeload on the government in the name of religion. What does bother me is the right of individuals to believe as they see fit and the government not interferring, this could lead to laws passed that restricts belief that is protected by our constitution, that government will not make laws against religious belief that is resonable. As I stated I can agree with this law to a point because it does help those who need protection against over zealous religious parents who have been misguided by their leaders.

Negligence trumps beliefs, period.
(March 11, 2011 at 6:26 pm)Godschild Wrote: I do not know what the bill says in it's entirety, I do think this is a good idea to a point because children can't protect themselves. It should state that a childs situation must be life threating or disabling and at least two doctors agree. The parents should have to pay all the expenses, this would keep people from trying to freeload on the government in the name of religion. What does bother me is the right of individuals to believe as they see fit and the government not interferring, this could lead to laws passed that restricts belief that is protected by our constitution, that government will not make laws against religious belief that is resonable. As I stated I can agree with this law to a point because it does help those who need protection against over zealous religious parents who have been misguided by their leaders.
These parents are not misguided by their leaders necessarily. If you really believe, then the logical conclusion is that you should eschew invasive medical treatments and trust in a deity. However, we all know full well that this would be child abuse or in ones own case suicide or some form of masochism. What this really goes to show is that parents do not have the right to inculcate such beliefs or adopt such practices within or on their children.
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.
I would say action trumps belief.. regardless of it's positive or negative social impact. When religious beliefs are used to affect government or social structure from a top down method, I feel it's incorrect. Changing society's concensus which then affects government is one think but government should have no control over belief, only when that belief moves to action. I hate politics.. I must be very tired..
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Children removed from Jewish sect's jungle compound in Mexico zebo-the-fat 3 633 September 30, 2022 at 5:12 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Rep removed from board of Christian charity Foxaèr 13 1269 August 5, 2020 at 9:34 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32896 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope