Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frustrating Atheist Experience
Frustrating Atheist Experience
I used to watch a lot of Talk Heathen, The Line, and The Atheist Experience and then slowly stopped doing so. I remember why as I watch Atheist Experience this morning. Because it is frustrating to a cringey degree.

The hosts for this one were very good. Jenna Belk has a very compassionate tone even as she laser focuses on the point and doesn't allow the caller to go too far into the weeds. Anthony Magnabosco is pretty good at that also but hammers in on the point, "Why? Why do you believe that?" We want to hear the process, the pieces that were put together in the callers mind that made "thing that happened to me" = "God did it".

I get so overwhelmed and frustrated with this line of questioning though. Because I get what he's doing, what these hosts usually do. If there is logical process or hell, even evidence, we'd like to see/hear about that and examine it. If there's not, then the point is to allow a caller to realize they've come to this belief based on nothing or poor evidence. However, that's not usually what happens. It usually becomes a moment where hosts and callers talk past each other,as if callers don't quite get what the hosts are asking for and/or the hosts are not following through afterwards on burden of proof and what is acceptable for standards of believing in things. Like, as the caller misunderstands yet again and launches into another personal story(because really the why is the argument from incredulity, so, the why IS "this thing happened" to me and they can't boil it down any further because at church they're not required to do so) and we get lost in the weeds because of it.

My frustration comes from the misunderstanding and mismatched standards of belief in continuing to ask "why tho?" 

This is the clip I was watching this morning:

It's not like the hosts are unaware. I just find watching it happen to be agonizing in a very cringe way.

RE: Frustrating Atheist Experience
One thing I never got into was the viewing of atheistic videos.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(July 18, 2021 at 7:48 am)Foxaire Wrote: One thing I never got into was the viewing of atheistic videos.

Early on, I was very angry about the lies and all. Yet the only theists around me are family members that I don't wish to beat up on in religious discussions. So, getting into watching atheist content helped me let off steam while watching Matt Dillahunty bully delusional people.*

*I actually like Dillahunty and don't see him as a bully but he IS very aggressive and half the callers I see him deal with in old clips are not your garden variety theists but genuine loopy fruitcakes.

At work.

I think that's one of the problems. the hosts are too 'Tuned in to bullsheet' and once a caller has mis-spoken or perhaps chosen the wrong words or phrases in the 'Heat of the moment' then "BAM!" it's lights out, game over, go home.

Of course.... that there are still frootloops about is a sad inditement (sp?) on us/society.

Cheers.
Give me a call Ten, I'll frustrate the hell out of you.

Cranky
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 18, 2021 at 7:32 am)Ten Wrote: I used to watch a lot of Talk Heathen, The Line, and The Atheist Experience and then slowly stopped doing so. I remember why as I watch Atheist Experience this morning. Because it is frustrating to a cringey degree.

The hosts for this one were very good. Jenna Belk has a very compassionate tone even as she laser focuses on the point and doesn't allow the caller to go too far into the weeds. Anthony Magnabosco is pretty good at that also but hammers in on the point, "Why? Why do you believe that?" We want to hear the process, the pieces that were put together in the callers mind that made "thing that happened to me" = "God did it".

I get so overwhelmed and frustrated with this line of questioning though. Because I get what he's doing, what these hosts usually do. If there is logical process or hell, even evidence, we'd like to see/hear about that and examine it. If there's not, then the point is to allow a caller to realize they've come to this belief based on nothing or poor evidence. However, that's not usually what happens. It usually becomes a moment where hosts and callers talk past each other,as if callers don't quite get what the hosts are asking for and/or the hosts are not following through afterwards on burden of proof and what is acceptable for standards of believing in things. Like, as the caller misunderstands yet again and launches into another personal story(because really the why is the argument from incredulity, so, the why IS "this thing happened" to me and they can't boil it down any further because at church they're not required to do so) and we get lost in the weeds because of it.

My frustration comes from the misunderstanding and mismatched standards of belief in continuing to ask "why tho?" 

This is the clip I was watching this morning:

It's not like the hosts are unaware. I just find watching it happen to be agonizing in a very cringe way.
I love AXP but I’ll only watch the episodes that Matt D. hosts. He’s my gold standard for how this style of questioning should go; he keeps the dialogue on point and let’s absolutely nothing slide. I could watch him all day.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Atheist Experience talk show by Matt Dillahunty and others Alexmahone 12 2680 December 6, 2017 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Experience of Atheists on Christian Forums Rhondazvous 29 6645 March 11, 2017 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Did anyone listen to atheist experience this week? Won2blv 12 4069 November 25, 2016 at 11:17 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Frustrating Shuffle 13 2431 September 17, 2015 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists: have you ever had a religious experience and what did you make of it? tantric 110 18060 January 22, 2015 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Handling the argument from personal experience max-greece 14 4054 November 16, 2013 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  The thrill of experience Creed of Heresy 11 2902 February 17, 2013 at 2:32 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
Question Is atheism a liberating and good experience? naimless 139 41321 December 11, 2012 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: naimless
  Differentiating a religious experience/including hallucinations from a psyc disorder Hunter9035 67 28006 March 21, 2012 at 1:37 pm
  The Atheist Experience TV Show Cosmic Ape 31 19805 February 21, 2012 at 4:16 pm