Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going to buy a gun
Going to buy a gun
I regularly preach "buy low/sell high" as a sound economic model. People who run out and panic buy stuff when prices are inflated are idiots.

The recent ammo/gun shortage opened up some odd opportunities.

I was in the local gun shop the other day to pick up some stuff for my crossbow and happened to spend a few minutes looking at guns.

I noticed that they had a pretty fair number of 22 rifles in stock. It makes sense - because they ran out of cheap 22 ammo last year. Guys won't buy a plinking rifle when ammo isn' t available. Not my problem - I have beaucoup 22 ammo.

So - I am going to pick up a Ruger 10/22 - polymer stock/stainless steel action (they have 4)  - for $349 - well under the MSRP. It will replace my old one (blued/poly) I sold during the last shortage for $300.

Basic economics...
RE: Going to buy a gun
Remind me to never settle down anywhere in your neck of the woods.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(October 12, 2021 at 8:08 am)Foxaire Wrote: Remind me to never settle down anywhere in your neck of the woods.

Pretty low crime rate here.....

A bit noisy at times. You get used to the gunfire...
You outta try a 17wsm. Better range, accuracy, speed, and kinetic energy... and not by a little bit. Just shits on a 22, hard. Rounds are less expensive too.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Wrong.

17 wsm is far more expensive than 22 long rifle. Always has been. Always will be.
I guess if you've still got a guy or a bunch of 22, maybe. : shrugs :

We're going through another round of hoarding over here.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Walmart was back down to $18 a box for Federal 22 LR (550 Rnds) two years ago. I figured that was about what it was 20 years ago ( counting inflation).

I restocked my supply.

No shortage here.

Gunshops that have 550 packs are asking $100 - and apparently there are some idiots out there buying it.
Yeah, our wally world was stocked for a bit, but now the shelves are mostly barren again. If you show up the day they get their stock you can buy three boxes, I think? Cant remember if it's three or four.
(October 12, 2021 at 8:40 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Yeah, our wally world was stocked for a bit, but now the shelves are mostly barren again.  If you show up the day they get their stock you can buy three boxes, I think?  Cant remember if it's three or four.

Dunno.

Not buying.

I probably should get a table at the next gun show.

I could make a healthy profit. I have boxes of Winchester 9mm (fmj) that I stocked up on - 6 bucks for 50 rnds - when I worked at the store... I have piles of reloads I made too.....
I think I posted a pic of my Ruger K1022T (semi-auto) here. I haven't shot it in a year because of the price of ammo. It's coming down, but I can wait until the price is only a little stupid. I paid about $360 for the rifle, 19 years ago. It has a stainless bull barrel, and I added a Kidd trigger job and a Hogue over molded thumbhole stock so my arthritic old hands have a more ergonomic grip.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buy parts for Czech Moped Jawa 350! tonnik 7 702 April 16, 2023 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Gun Questions any one? Drich 75 3396 May 11, 2021 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Drich
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1117 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going? Mechaghostman2 6 622 January 4, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Things you buy and never really use Theswordismyleopard 28 1884 September 1, 2020 at 11:47 am
  Not going to swear to it as of yet. but. Brian37 33 2337 June 19, 2020 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Which console zo buy a 12-year-old kid? franzis 20 2430 February 23, 2020 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  It's going to be a WARM winter onlinebiker 8 930 October 9, 2019 at 5:39 pm
  I am going naked on here to challenge my wife to do the same. funcouple 19 1645 August 31, 2019 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Are you going to let him do that? onlinebiker 4 1060 August 22, 2019 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath