Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's going to be a WARM winter
It's going to be a WARM winter
I don't care how cold it gets outside.

I have an enclosed trailer I built years ago that I park next to the kitchen door (on concrete pad) each fall - and fill with wood. It holds about 2 1/2 cord. Normally I burn a mix of various hardwoods - and it will get me through about 3/4 of the winter - so I will bring a few loads up with the quad. I shouldn't need to this year.

This year - it's filled with well seasoned - 7 or 8 years old - 80% osage and 20% hard maple.

If you never burned osage - it is the highest BTU per cord (32 million) of any wood grown east of the Missisippi. Heavy, dense and smells nice burning.
Plus - practically no creosote - so the chimney stays clean....

You gonna burn one?
Big Grin
RE: It's going to be a WARM winter
Osage orange also makes great fence posts due to its resistance to rot and insects. Maple smells good burning, too.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
It makes great bows too - althogh this was fence row trees - which rarely grow straight.....

Long story short - a landscape company owned the land and cut down a 1/4 mile x 100 yard swath of osage - to plant pine trees.

We had to beg them to let us cart it off.. They were just going to bulldoze it and burn it in place.

In one week I hauled home 12 cords - some in 250 lbs blocks. Ring count 160 on some......

I was not the only one going like a maniac trying to beat their deadline.
I don't have a fire place but I've used quite a lot of pizza ovens and I like using Iron bark, a very common eucalypt from round here.
Smells good, burns for ages, good for smoking meat, cheap.
Motherfucker to chop, especially when your boss won't fork out for a quality axe.

Never heard of that one. Of course we don't have eucalyptus in this area...

Make your turkey taste like a cough drop?

Big Grin
WHY THE EVER-LOVING FUCK ARE YOU BURNING MAPLE????

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 9, 2019 at 5:19 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: WHY THE EVER-LOVING FUCK ARE YOU BURNING MAPLE????

Boru

Because it was a bit too close to the house and got damaged by lightning.

I make syrup. (50 gallons last year)

I don't cut a maple lightly....
(October 9, 2019 at 5:27 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(October 9, 2019 at 5:19 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: WHY THE EVER-LOVING FUCK ARE YOU BURNING MAPLE????

Boru

Because it was a bit too close to the house and got damaged by lightning.

Well...fair dues, I suppose.  Just breaks my heart to see maple go up a chimney stack.  Such a beautiful wood.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 9, 2019 at 5:30 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(October 9, 2019 at 5:27 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Because it was a bit too close to the house and got damaged by lightning.

Well...fair dues, I suppose.  Just breaks my heart to see maple go up a chimney stack.  Such a beautiful wood.

Boru
It does burn good.

This year we put up 4 cords of (live) red oak, and at least 6 cord of ash. Emerald ash borer is playing hell on our ash population.

I still have trees to cut - but have to wait till crops are off the field as the trees are on the fencerow.

Probably after deer season - 36 days to go...

Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Going to buy a gun onlinebiker 46 2458 October 17, 2021 at 10:32 am
Last Post: Spooky
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1113 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going? Mechaghostman2 6 619 January 4, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Not going to swear to it as of yet. but. Brian37 33 2332 June 19, 2020 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I am going naked on here to challenge my wife to do the same. funcouple 19 1645 August 31, 2019 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Are you going to let him do that? onlinebiker 4 1059 August 22, 2019 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  What's the going rate for the tooth fairy? Cod 16 1525 April 17, 2019 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Figbash
  Getting ready for winter. onlinebiker 21 1627 October 26, 2018 at 11:47 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Iranians remember no one is going to be fair to you Mystic 9 1364 June 25, 2018 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Not going anywhere for a while? Brian37 24 2082 June 6, 2018 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Joods