Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tornadoes in December.
Tornadoes in December.
I haved lived in Iowa all my life, having been born and raised here. This afternoon's forecast is for high winds with tornados. I have no memory in my 50+ years here of tornados in December.

My wife and I are leaving here shortly to get ice cream.
RE: Tornadoes in December.
It's so windy here today, I went outside for a minute and the Brits made me Prime Minister.
A full maple leaf blew in under the front door today. I don't even think there's a maple tree in this neighborhood. If I were amidst my maternal family, they would say it's blowing a gale.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Clear and warm right now, rain this afternoon, then three days clear, then rain from Tuesday until the heat death of the universe.

No high winds or tornadoes forecast.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
NWA has had, as of today, five new high temperatures for dates in December.  Two of the previous highs were from 2020.  Two from  2012.

Concrete shouldn't sweat this often in this season.  With snow in the Rockies, that's an interesting situation for Iowa.  Enjoy the ice cream.
(December 15, 2021 at 3:10 pm)Jehanne Wrote: I haved lived in Iowa all my life, having been born and raised here.  This afternoon's forecast is for high winds with tornados.  I have no memory in my 50+ years here of tornados in December.

Very strange for Iowa this time of year. I lived there from age 2 till my mid-20s but have family there still. I can remember having snow as early as Halloween and as late as Easter. I planned for six months of 'I hate this shitty cold weather' and it's part of the reason I left the area decades ago.

One thing I do miss is what fall was like when I lived in Iowa...fall was just spectacular. Spring was too muddy, winter too cold, and summer was just a mix of hot/cold/humid/stormy. Fall was just perfect as far as I was concerned. Fall here in N Texas happens over a weekend and you have to be paying close attention or you miss it...much like it was in SC.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(December 15, 2021 at 3:10 pm)Jehanne Wrote: I haved lived in Iowa all my life, having been born and raised here.  This afternoon's forecast is for high winds with tornados.  I have no memory in my 50+ years here of tornados in December.

Lets not point out climate volatility caused by burning fossil fuels. The right wing won't be able to scare their base.

The west coast went from high heat and wild fires, to heavy rain and mudslides. The middle of the country is above average, while the east coast is average to below average. One cannot look at one day, or one week to know the averages are still trending to the earth getting warmer. Even records of "lake effect snow" around the great lakes, is a result of our polar ice caps melting, on top of the oceans getting warmer. 

My entire life, I have noticed the difference between the swings between overnight temps vs daytime temps, and how much longer our winters were growing up. Climate Volatility is very real.

To say this outbreak of 30 tornados in December is rare, is misleading. It does not change that extremes like this are on the increase because of what humans are doing to our atmosphere.
Jehanne, hope you got a pass on any damage like we did.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(December 15, 2021 at 9:19 pm)brewer Wrote: Jehanne, hope you got a pass on any damage like we did.

So you were in the path of that outbreak?
(December 15, 2021 at 9:22 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(December 15, 2021 at 9:19 pm)brewer Wrote: Jehanne, hope you got a pass on any damage like we did.

So you were in the path of that outbreak?

It's here right now; sirens have sounded. Not a Derecho, so far.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tuesday is the day we wait all December for... Gawdzilla Sama 20 1829 December 24, 2017 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The True Meaning of The 25th Of December BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2601 December 24, 2016 at 3:49 pm
Last Post: Alex K