Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:41 am

Poll: Is zero a natural number?
This poll is closed.
Yes
30.00%
3 30.00%
No
70.00%
7 70.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is zero a natural number?
Is zero a natural number?
I originally thought of titling this thread, "How to piss-off a group of pure and applied mathematicians in (5...15] minutes" but did not want to get any sort of PA tag.

In any case, I am going to buck the overwhelming trend among mathematicians as of late and say that zero is not a natural number and also say that the question of zero's "naturalness" is principally a question of anthropology and not of mathematics.  Some years ago I read a book, Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea, and when the concept of zero was developed in India (and elsewhere) in the 7th century (or, thereabouts) and made its way to Europe, it was not greeted warmly; people were suspicious.  Here's an example of a modern-day ("money making") scholastic denying the existence of the number zero:

The segment in question is only 2 minutes long (if you can stand such), but, clearly, Dr. Craig, who was a communications major at Wheaton College, is having difficultly understanding the fact that numbers can be used as nominal values, but, that's another post.

In any case, the number zero is, in my opinion, not "natural", in the same sense that infinitesimals, limits, convergent/divergent series and non-Euclidean geometries are not natural.  What is certain is that the professional mathematicians, both pure and applied, are going to disagree!

P.S.  The YouTube link didn't paste correctly; you have to scroll to the 1:17:50 mark if you want to hear Dr. Craig's buffoonery.

P.P.S.  To Dr. Craig, "infinity" is not a number.
RE: Is zero a natural number?
The way to answer thst question is to take Craig's answer and apply the exact opposite.
Dying to live, living to die.
(January 18, 2022 at 6:43 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: The way to answer thst question is to take Craig's answer and apply the exact opposite.

^This is a universally applicable paradigm.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The answer depends on the class you're taking. Sometimes it's considered a natural number, sometimes it's not.

Couldn't locate the segment using the timestamp you posted. What's the argument exactly?
(January 18, 2022 at 7:34 am)GrandizerII Wrote: The answer depends on the class you're taking. Sometimes it's considered a natural number, sometimes it's not.

Couldn't locate the segment using the timestamp you posted. What's the argument exactly?

It's at the 1 hour, 19 minute mark.
Does zero occur in nature... yes (I have zero trees outside my house) .... so zero is natural Smile
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(January 18, 2022 at 7:59 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Does zero occur in nature... yes (I have zero trees outside my house) .... so zero is natural Smile

Yes, it does occur in nature, but, the Romans got along just fine without any numerical representation of it.
My wife's nature is to often tell me 'you get zero'.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 18, 2022 at 7:59 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Does zero occur in nature... yes (I have zero trees outside my house) .... so zero is natural  Smile

One could also argue so are fractions (e.g., pieces of a pie) and negative numbers (e.g., below sea level). Hell, what about e, the one known as the natural number also?

It all comes down to convention at the end of the day, in this case a legacy of history past.
Sometimes nothing is a real cool hand.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Euclid proved that there are an infinite number of prime numbers. Jehanne 7 899 March 14, 2021 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Graham's Number GrandizerII 15 1849 February 18, 2018 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  This number is illegal in the USA Aractus 13 4672 May 7, 2016 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  The Magical Number 9 Rhondazvous 25 5035 December 30, 2015 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Tricky Number Sequence Puzzle GrandizerII 16 6009 January 20, 2015 at 2:35 am
Last Post: Whateverist
Question Dividing by zero Tea Earl Grey Hot 77 21639 January 18, 2015 at 12:31 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  What is Zero (0)? ManMachine 22 7508 February 9, 2014 at 11:11 am
Last Post: truthBtold
  Number crunching curios pocaracas 24 9213 January 4, 2014 at 2:14 am
Last Post: Belac Enrobso
  If 0.999(etc) = 1, does 1 - 0.999 go to zero? Euler 26 8981 April 30, 2013 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  The nature of number jonb 82 39512 October 28, 2012 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: jonb