Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illustrating the burden of proof - pay me!
Illustrating the burden of proof - pay me!
I often hear discussions that attempt to shift the burden of proof. "You can't prove your side either!" 

Here's a conversation I would like to have with someone who argues that all parties have an equal burden of proof.

ME: There is a contract that says you owe me $10,000. It's legally binding so pay up.
THEM: Nonsense. Show it to me.
ME: You can't prove the contract doesn't exist somewhere. In order to verify it doesn't exist, you would have to read every document in the universe.
THEM: I don't care. You have no evidence that it does exist.
ME: Ok, since neither one of us can prove the other wrong, our positions are equal. As an equal compromise you can pay me $5,000. Or are you saying one of our opposing truth claims doesn't carry the same weight? Why is that?

Do you think this dialogue would be an interesting way to illustrate the burden of proof?
RE: Illustrating the burden of proof - pay me!
No

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Only the person making the claim needs evidence to support the claim.
But I just thought of another example. What if I am known to police and a crime happens in my area. The cops show up to my house and ask where I was at 11:00pm last night?

Why should the burden of proof be on me?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(February 3, 2022 at 6:13 pm)Nachos_of_Nurgle Wrote: I often hear discussions that attempt to shift the burden of proof. "You can't prove your side either!" 

Here's a conversation I would like to have with someone who argues that all parties have an equal burden of proof.

ME: There is a contract that says you owe me $10,000. It's legally binding so pay up.
THEM: Nonsense. Show it to me.
ME: You can't prove the contract doesn't exist somewhere. In order to verify it doesn't exist, you would have to read every document in the universe.
THEM: I don't care. You have no evidence that it does exist.
ME: Ok, since neither one of us can prove the other wrong, our positions are equal. As an equal compromise you can pay me $5,000. Or are you saying one of our opposing truth claims doesn't carry the same weight? Why is that?

Do you think this dialogue would be an interesting way to illustrate the burden of proof?

A couple of glaring flaws:

-No one claims that all parties have an equal burden of proof.

-It’s a pretty egregious fallacy to demand that someone prove a negative (which is why ‘Prove to me that gods don’t exist’ is a non-starter).

To answer your question, I think it would make for an interest example of how not to argue.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 3, 2022 at 6:21 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Only the person making the claim needs evidence to support the claim.
But I just thought of another example. What if I am known to police and a crime happens in my area. The cops show up to my house and ask where I was at 11:00pm last night?

Why should the burden of proof be on me?

That’s a very good example. No one is required to (or expected to) prove their innocence.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 3, 2022 at 6:24 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: To answer your question, I think it would make for an interest example of how not to argue.

Boru

I think it's an interesting example of how not to argue that might be instructive to someone who thinks 'you can't prove God isn't real' is a gotcha.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
The default position should be, not to believe a claim until such time that the claim has been demonstrated to be true, or likely true, with demonstrable evidence and reasoned argument.

As David Hume said, "A Wise person proportions their belief to the evidence".

It is completely rational to reject the claim (disbelieve it), until such a time the claim is supported.

The problem is, that so many god believers (and believers in other supernatural claims) seem to think, that when we say, "we do not believe your claim", we are making the opposite claim. My disbelieving the claim that a god exists, does not necessarily mean I am making the claim that a god does not exist.

If I want to take on the burden of proof, I can clam that a god does not exist, but that is not a necessary claim, when debating theists.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Bad illustration, unless you can cough up half a god.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Wasn't this guy here before asking to be paid for proof?
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(February 3, 2022 at 6:13 pm)Nachos_of_Nurgle Wrote: Do you think this dialogue would be an interesting way to illustrate the burden of proof?

No.

(February 3, 2022 at 8:26 pm)Nay_Sayer Wrote: Wasn't this guy here before asking to be paid for proof?

Fuck paying for people to 'prove' shit.

I ought to be paid just to think.

And I will. All in good time.
Schopenhauer Wrote:The intellect has become free, and in this state it does not even know or understand any other interest than that of truth.

Epicurus Wrote:The greatest reward of righteousness is peace of mind.

Epicurus Wrote:Don't fear god,
Don't worry about death;

What is good is easy to get,

What is terrible is easy to endure

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Burden proof is coupled with burden to listen. Mystic 59 15654 April 17, 2018 at 1:29 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheist politician from Nebraska to churches: PAY YOUR TAXES Ryantology 16 3239 January 25, 2014 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Ryantology
  Why atheism always has a burden of proof Vincenzo Vinny G. 358 157718 October 31, 2013 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Burden of Proof Mark 13:13 213 67866 January 12, 2013 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Why do you think atheists pay so much attention to religion? Judas BentHer 63 24428 June 2, 2012 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Burden of Proof Atheistfreethinker 45 13253 August 24, 2011 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Jackalope