Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are some moderate religious afraid of atheism?
Why are some moderate religious afraid of atheism?
Some moderate religious I know or heard about use their religion more for comfort than as a guide. They might use it as a guide, but to a lesser extent. I've noticed that many of them get very defensive if you tell them they should leave their faith. When I say defensive, I don't necesarilly mean violent or mean, some are both polite and defensive at the same time. Maybe they're not expressing it out loud, but they seem scared to me. Also, they get nervous if someone close to them wants to leave their faith.
I'm talking about religious that don't believe in eternal punishment. Using religion for comfort and not wanting to leave it is one thing, but being afraid of atheism is too much. They have the Right by law to have a religion, then why are they nervous if someone disagrees with them? Why are they nervous if someone close to them leaves the faith? Do they think that the said person will be unhappy? How do they know that the said person is unhappy? And if the person can't resist without religion, they can return to it whenever they want. 
I get why fundamentalists are afraid of atheism, but why are some moderates too?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Why are some moderate religious afraid of atheism?
(February 10, 2018 at 7:37 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: Some moderate religious I know or heard about use their religion more for comfort than as a guide. They might use it as a guide, but to a lesser extent. I've noticed that many of them get very defensive if you tell them they should leave their faith. When I say defensive, I don't necesarilly mean violent or mean, it could also mean that they feel attacked. Maybe they're not expressing it out loud, but they seem scared to me. Also, they get nervous if someone close to them wants to leave their faith.
I'm talking about religious that don't believe in eternal punishment. Using religion for comfort and not wanting to leave it is one thing, but being afraid of it is too much. They have the Right by law to have a religion, then why are they nervous if someone disagrees with them? Why are they nervous if someone close to them leaves the faith? Do they think that the said person will be unhappy? How do they know that the said person is unhappy? And if the person can't resist without religion, they can return to it whenever they want. 
I get why fundamentalists are afraid of atheism, but why are some moderates too?

One theist to another they can understand and accept. After all the other person just believes a different version of what they believe.
But atheism is a complete rejection of their core belief. There is no version that is in any way compatible. It scares them as it basically tells them that you think is completely wrong. 

Theists just like the echo chamber of agreement. 

I would task theists here to go to a theist site and say atheist things then see how long they are tolerated.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Most fear is transferred by others. The preacherman needs a flock or he's pointless. So he teaches that atheism will put their children in brothels and their souls in Hell. It's also an easy target for the viperous spirits that like to think they're above other people due to their choice of a particular god out of the millions we know of.
(February 10, 2018 at 7:44 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Most fear is transferred by others. The preacherman needs a flock or he's pointless. So he teaches that atheism will put their children in brothels and their souls in Hell.

I was referring to religious who don't believe in Hell at all, or any kind of punishment from God.

Charlie Chaplin
(February 10, 2018 at 7:46 am)Die Atheistin Wrote:
(February 10, 2018 at 7:44 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Most fear is transferred by others. The preacherman needs a flock or he's pointless. So he teaches that atheism will put their children in brothels and their souls in Hell.

I was referring to religious who don't believe in Hell at all, or any kind of punishment from God.
Then please expand on that, because the moderates in the US are generally lukewarm toward atheism.
Let me expand , I know the situation : Homophobic fucks who believe in God because God.
(February 10, 2018 at 8:05 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Then please expand on that, because the moderates in the US are generally lukewarm toward atheism.

My whole family, not just my parents, are moderates and they would be schocked if I told them I'm atheist. There are some other people outside the family who think the same. I saw once in a german programm a family of muslims that was moderate, the daughters didn't wear any hijab or anything similar, except for religious ceremony. The eldest daughter was allowed to attend a judo class and she had christian friends. The family followed the tradition very exactly. The parents were very defensive of Islam, they claimed that terorrism isn't part of the real Islam and that they're sad when someone dislikes them for being muslims. Granted, they are associated with terrorism when criticized, but to me they also seem afraid of leaving their religion. They seem to be afraid of even trying to be atheists.

Charlie Chaplin
"moderates" vary from country to country. Yours seem more hardline than ours. In that case my original comment stands.
(February 10, 2018 at 8:43 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: "moderates" vary from country to country. Yours seem more hardline than ours. In that case my original comment stands.

I'm from Romania, most moderates, especially the older ones are like my family. I assume that's the case in most of Eastern Europe. In Germany's case, I think the muslim family in my example is how most moderate muslims around the globe are, many of them being SJW's. Granted, the family in my example was more polite and less obnoxious about their beliefs, so I wouldn't consider them SJW's, but something close to that. I think most christians in Western Europe aren't afraid of atheism.

Charlie Chaplin
Because we ask them to give up something they believe is real, probably since childhood.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 651 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  How the religious can enjoy Atheism. onlinebiker 10 845 August 30, 2021 at 8:57 am
Last Post: brewer
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 4907 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why do some people condone hell? SuicideCommando01 45 5441 May 22, 2020 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Prayers don't work so why do religious keep jabbing at it? Fake Messiah 65 9738 August 26, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Why religious cannot agree. Mystic 46 7874 July 6, 2018 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: warmdecember
  Are religious people really afraid of death? Alexmahone 36 4956 July 3, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3734 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Why are believers still afraid of death? Der/die AtheistIn 49 4567 March 8, 2018 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Why some humans are so evil: double standards and irreligion WinterHold 124 20358 January 28, 2018 at 5:38 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb