Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question about Dawkins enemies of reason documentary
A question about Dawkins enemies of reason documentary
Hello again, I am not sure weather to post this in the philosophy section of this forum or religion. The documentary called enemies of reason, slaves to superstition part 1 on youtube by Richard Dawkins makes me a little concerned when Dawkins talks about Universities shutting down all over the country At 42:20 to 44:48. What country is he talking about? It sounds like in the U.K Hopefully its not the whole world.
RE: A question about Dawkins enemies of reason documentary
It's an old documentary:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Enemies_of_Reason

Since it aired on Channel 4 in 2007, Professor Dawkins is probably referring to universities in the UK.
(April 17, 2022 at 12:57 pm)Quill01 Wrote: Hello again, I am not sure weather to post this in the philosophy section of this forum or religion. The documentary called enemies of reason, slaves to superstition part 1 on youtube by Richard Dawkins makes me a little concerned when Dawkins talks about Universities shutting down all over the country At 42:20 to 44:48. What country is he talking about? It sounds like in the U.K Hopefully its not the whole world.

I haven’t seen the whole video - just the clip you mentioned - so take this with a grain of salt: Dawkins has a tendency towards exaggeration when he moves outside of his field. He doesn’t tell us why university departments are closing, nor does he quantify what he means by ‘all over the country’. Is it two physics departments that have closed? 20? 200?

I find it kind of amusing that he says we should always question authority, but seems to want us to take his word for these department closures without giving us any evidence.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 17, 2022 at 12:57 pm)Quill01 Wrote: Hello again, I am not sure weather to post this in the philosophy section of this forum or religion. The documentary called enemies of reason, slaves to superstition part 1 on youtube by Richard Dawkins makes me a little concerned when Dawkins talks about Universities shutting down all over the country At 42:20 to 44:48. What country is he talking about? It sounds like in the U.K Hopefully its not the whole world.

I don't know what he's talking about there.

I do know that in the country where I live, and in many others, universities are undergoing a huge and permanent change. They are cutting back or ending their humanities courses -- literature, languages, philosophy, classics, etc. They are extending the courses that (supposedly) lead to making money and practical job applications. So you can major in business or hotel management, and get out of college without having read a single work of literature. 

The most expensive private school in my city no longer has a functioning English department. The guy who used to run it had to scramble, publish a few papers, and declare that he is an expert in international tourism. 

I suppose that only sounds bad to people like me, who think that life is more than practical functions. Dawkins doesn't think much of literature or philosophy, though, so this probably isn't the change he's worried about.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The reason religion is so powerful Macoleco 344 20882 June 30, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Reason Jesus must have been a real person mrj 74 10144 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Richard Dawkins prefers church bells to "aggressive-sounding Allahu Akbar" Alexmahone 12 1230 July 20, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  "How God got started", how god belief + basic reason + writing -> modern humans? Whateverist 26 6714 October 15, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Dawkins and Christianity rjh4 is back 56 19178 August 22, 2017 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Another Reason Christians are Dangerous Rhondazvous 49 7459 February 5, 2017 at 8:55 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins Czechlervitz30 22 3767 October 11, 2016 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: RobertE
  Atheists Have the Most Logical Reason for being Moral Rhondazvous 24 7266 January 22, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  The only important reason I'm more powerful than god. Foxaèr 5 1945 November 13, 2015 at 4:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The reason humans believe drfuzzy 31 5756 October 10, 2015 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon