Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists Have the Most Logical Reason for being Moral
Atheists Have the Most Logical Reason for being Moral
While theists would have us believe they have a monopoly on morality and the only reason to behave morally, I find that in reality is the atheist who has the most logical reason to act morally.

The atheist who refrains from doing immoral acts in the world where he must live is informed by the same logic that tells him not to pee in the pool where he has to swim.

As a Christian, I knew that my salvation was set in stone. God would forgive me and what other people thought didn’t matter. After all they were persecuting me because of my faith, not my behavior. I had absolutely no bases for moral behavior.

As an atheist, I can’t psyche myself out that way. The world is disinterested and will not forgive me if I fuck up. But I don’t think about that. On any given day, in any interaction, my first thought is not what will happen to me if I do this, but will doing this make me a better person. If someone did this to me could they expect a positive response? If not, then why should I expect them to respond to me positively?

There are a lot of reasons for an atheist to be moral. I’m sure others can add to this list.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Atheists Have the Most Logical Reason for being Moral
Well the biggest fact there is well there is not point in being a immoral person and hurt others that is the thing.
As a atheist i don't see a reason in being immoral i have empathy i don't need a book to tell me what's right or wrong.
Being that i living a society that has is base morals already set what's right and wrong even then it should be second nature.
Like don't start a fight if you punch that person he will punch you back or well sue you Tongue

i don't see why throwing up a bible and acting morally superior should make anyone any better. If anything if you need a book
to tell you whats right and wrong then something is wrong. And its the same book that tells people and allows them to commit
horrendous acts and allows people to get away with it. Then there is the bad aspect of it the dangerous bit of the heaven hell thing
and the others. You have people who will follow the book like a jihadist and commit worse stuff than islamic extremists do. It certainly
doesn't help when people like Joshua Fuerstien get on youtube and start ranting about attacking abortion clinics. This tends to raise
a valid point religion doesn't make you anymore moral it makes you less moral if anything.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dale-hanse...11112.html

http://www.livescience.com/47799-moralit...liefs.html

All in all religion gives the illusion of being morally superior.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(January 4, 2016 at 9:34 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: While theists would have us believe they have a monopoly on morality and the only reason to behave morally, I find that in reality is the atheist who has the most logical reason to act morally.

The atheist who refrains from doing immoral acts in the world where he must live is informed by the same logic that tells him not to pee in the pool where he has to swim.

If you're gross, or you don't like swimming, or you just dislike the people that use the pool, or you REALLY have to go...

What ends up happening, is that you find lots of rational exceptions to generic atheistic morality reasoning.  Thankfully, we have the golden rule hammered home relentlessly from birth to forever, so most people don't question it too much.   The idea that you could NOT treat others how you want to be treated is so foreign an idea, that they have a hard time imagining that reality.  Especially when people live in circumstances, where most people are buying into it.

I find the two to be somewhat similar. God relying on people to not think to hard about God. Generic morality relying on people not digging deep enough to question what everybody is telling them. Or as both would prefer, conditioning the individual to so thoroughly believe what they've been taught, they are blind to any alternative.
The other distinction is that (for many theists) they think their eternal destination is somewhat dependent on their actions in this life. If they really think that, then there is generally going to be a selfish element in any "good" deed. An atheist is generally good just to be good, when they go beyond what's pragmatically required for a peaceful existence.

However, what is "good" is of course entirely subjective, and religion can warp this considerably by programming in prejudices and weird, pointless constraints on behaviour.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
It depends on how you view God.

Christianity for example, shows God as a being that could do mistakes. He even has a "human version" called Jesus.
That's why forgiveness is thought of as being "easy".

Personally, I think that this is the point where Islam differs than all the other religions; In Islam : God is alive, intelligent and doesn't play games (like humans). He forgives, indeed, but who said that he'll forgive my sins ? or in other words : who said he will accept my apology ?
If I was to do tricks & try to get around a certain law, then God will bust me.

It's all about taking God seriously & believing for real.
(January 5, 2016 at 4:57 am)AtlasS33 Wrote: It's all about taking God seriously & believing for real.

No, it's all about living in a particular society and following it's rules. As a social animal.

And these rules vary greatly. The only common denominator is to not kill, rob or rape. And even that seems up to debate in certain regions.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(January 5, 2016 at 5:27 am)abaris Wrote:
(January 5, 2016 at 4:57 am)AtlasS33 Wrote: It's all about taking God seriously & believing for real.

No, it's all about living in a particular society and following it's rules. As a social animal.

And these rules vary greatly. The only common denominator is to not kill, rob or rape. And even that seems up to debate in certain regions.

Tribalism infected a lot of people in the M.E, but it's not always the case.
(January 5, 2016 at 5:50 am)AtlasS33 Wrote: Tribalism infected a lot of people in the M.E, but it's not always the case.

I'm not talking about the ME but the world. Apart from the big three there's no consent on morality or moral issues. Every society has their own rules and breaking them will get you sanctioned. So, there's no universal checklist. Not killing, robbing or raping a member of your society on the other hand, needs no superior authority to be considered taboo, since it will get you removed from your society.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Is it?  Then islam is failing the very thing that it's "all about".
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
From the movie "Fury":

Don Collier: Boyd, do you think Jesus loves Hitler?
Boyd ‘Bible’ Swan: Do I think Jesus loves Hitler? I’d assume so. Hitler accepted Jesus in his heart and got baptized, he’d be saved. Ain’t gonna save him from man’s justice.

So, one is real, the other not so much. A rational person would fear the real.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Hate the sin, not the sinner" is such a logical fallacy Woah0 7 943 September 7, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  A question about Dawkins enemies of reason documentary Quill01 3 451 April 17, 2022 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  How Can We Have Moral Direction If God Controls Everything? Rhondazvous 87 7478 August 22, 2021 at 10:23 am
Last Post: brewer
  The reason religion is so powerful Macoleco 344 20505 June 30, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Reason Jesus must have been a real person mrj 74 9931 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The absurd need for logical proofs for God R00tKiT 225 13412 December 31, 2020 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Being can come from non-being Alex K 55 6988 January 15, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 13136 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 56 7150 November 18, 2017 at 6:11 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  "How God got started", how god belief + basic reason + writing -> modern humans? Whateverist 26 6685 October 15, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama