Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friday the 13th
Friday the 13th
So today is the dreaded Friday the 13th.

From what I understand, Friday the 13th is unlucky because Christians considered Friday to be an unlucky day (Jesus died on Friday), and because they consider the number 13 to be unlucky, so combine these two "dreadful" things and you get something very unlucky. Although I guess that there is no possible way to say with certainty why this is considered to be the unlucky day since there are other hypotheses, just like with the origin of the word "OK".

Also, do you notice people still doing rituals to avoid curses? Like I still see people sometimes spitting three times when a black cat crosses their path.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Friday the 13th
My winrate increased by 2% on an online game I play. So it must have been Friday the 13th for my opponents and not for me.

On a side note: why did Christians consider the number 13 unlucky? Seems a bit arbitrary.... but I'm sure there's some reason... (too lazy to google)....
I took the garbage out through the garage this morning and when I came back in, the door wouldn't close. I checked to make sure nothing was in the way of the safety sensors and that wasn't the problem. I just manually closed it and chalked it up to Friday the 13th.

Husband came home from work and promptly spilled the glass of tea he had just poured...said that's the way his whole day has gone.

It'll be over in a few hours. sigh

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(May 13, 2022 at 6:08 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: My winrate increased by 2% on an online game I play. So it must have been Friday the 13th for my opponents and not for me.

On a side note: why did Christians consider the number 13 unlucky? Seems a bit arbitrary.... but I'm sure there's some reason... (too lazy to google)....

I’ve read that it’s because Judas Iscariot was last to the table at the Last Supper - 13th. A more plausible explanation may be that a year with thirteen full moons was a headache for monks who were supposed to produce liturgical calendars.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The trial & executions of the Templars has also been suggested.
(May 13, 2022 at 8:05 pm)Jehanne Wrote: The trial & executions of the Templars has also been suggested.

The superstition pre-dates that by a good while. Also, the Knights Templar had pretty much fallen out of favour, to the extent that it probably would have made Friday the 13th a lucky day.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

And just like we mix the Easter Bunny with Jesus, and Santa with Jesus. Now humanity can mix a  serial killer with Jesus too.

[Image: Chisato_Moritaka_-_Lucky_7.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Every society throughout human history has had some level of superstition and similar too, just like the west thinks of Friday  13th . if I am remembering what my x wife said when we were in an elevator in Japan, I noticed the number 4 button was not there. 

And according wikipedia, the number 4 is pronounced "shi" but the word "shi" meaning "death", is also pronounced "shi". So other numbers are considered bad luck besides 13.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_s...llbirth%22.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] I Think I May Have Come Close to Dying Friday Night Jesster 229 28728 July 17, 2017 at 2:22 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  I Think I May Have Come Close to Dying Friday Night Rhondazvous 48 17838 July 16, 2017 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  So my redneck friend came to visit on Friday. Brian37 9 2357 June 5, 2017 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Brian37