Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Livejournal, Facebook, Twitter, And other Social Websites
Livejournal, Facebook, Twitter, And other Social Websites
I know a good portion of us have blogs. To me blogs are like an amature journalist website, so I always take care about what I write, try to edit it to minimize typo, and essentially use a good writing voice. I don't consider it a personal blog, even though I do get into personal issues, it always has something to do with atheism or often bisexuality. So I don't really see it as a social networking site.

For the longest time I've have a Livejournal which is a personal journal site. My favorite thing about livejournal is the ability to add friends to my account and read all their posts on one page and basically keep up with various things going on in my friends' lives and it's really helpful because it allows us to also coordinate plans especially concerning the conventions I go to a lot. Another awesome aspect of the friends feature is that you can make locked threads so that only friends, or even only certain people in your friends via filters, can read those posts. If you look at my livejournal I sure you see a lot of nonsense posts, but what you can't see are private posts visable only to my friends. I also don't edit myself very much on this, I say what's on my mind and I let typos slide. I'll talk about things from the really silly to the serious and personal. The comments system is FAR better than any blogger, the user icons are fun. I have around 50 icons that help add exopression to your posts. There are fun features like "moods" you can also say where you're posting from, what music you're listening too, etc... To me livejournal is the best type of personal journal that allows you to stay in touch with friends. Plus there are livejournal communities which are fun. I'm a member of the atheist one of course. Big Grin

Myspace is boring and dumb. I don't like it. I have one that I never update and I don't see the point. I hate the design and I hate getting pestered by random bands or complete strangers wanting to be my friend. Instead I like:

Facebook! It's so much better. It's got many more features, it has more fun stuff to play with. The ability to tag people in pictures you post I think is awesome. You can keep your info private so only friends can see, you can chat, create events to invite people to (Which is may favorite feature because I can basically tell everyone about something happening on a day by making an event page with all the info and when I invite them it bounces them an email). So like I said, it's way more fun than myspace and personally I like the setup much better. (Btw, I'm on there as Jackie Lavache, look me up if you have one too. -_^)

Lastly we have Twitter. While I'm not into it like some people, I still enjoy it. I use it in combination with my livejournal via Loud Twitter which delivers Tweets directly to my livejournal in one post. I like it because I can then send text messages from my phone to my livejournal, especially when I'm without internet access for an extended period of time so I can still update livejournal. There are also other fun applications that go with Twitter, but that one is my favorite. If you want to follow me I'm here

So what social networking sites do you use and why do you like them?
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: Livejournal, Facebook, Twitter, And other Social Websites
(January 28, 2009 at 11:09 am)Eilonnwy Wrote: To me blogs are like an amature journalist website, so I always take care about what I write, try to edit it to minimize typo, and essentially use a good writing voice.

Minimise typo's like "amature" ... lol, is that irony?

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(January 28, 2009 at 11:18 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
(January 28, 2009 at 11:09 am)Eilonnwy Wrote: To me blogs are like an amature journalist website, so I always take care about what I write, try to edit it to minimize typo, and essentially use a good writing voice.

Minimise typo's like "amature" ... lol, is that irony?

Kyu

Nope. I'm a shitty speller and I often to don't check myself when I write in this forum either.

I'm at work so I.E. is my forced browser. At home I use firefox and I loooovvveee it because it has a built in spellchecker FOR THE WIN!!!

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I use WordPress because it's the far more superior of all the blogging platforms, but I use Facebook for talking to friends and Twitter to "microblog" stuff Big Grin
Facebook for the time being, although I find it somewhat bland at times. I don't think it's too popular with young Brits, only adults or university students seem to have it. Over here Bebo is huge, but resembles nothing more than a chav pit (apologies for non-UK users who aren't too familiar with "chavs"). Myspace really honestly does suck, I'll agree. Then we have stuff like Deviant Art, but I can't seem to spend more than 10 minutes there without getting bored. All points considered, I'm not too into the social networking stuff.

Blogs though Big Grin I used to have one but left it behind long ago. I quite fancy starting up a new one. Back to blogspot I go...
(January 28, 2009 at 1:10 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I use WordPress because it's the far more superior of all the blogging platforms, but I use Facebook for talking to friends and Twitter to "microblog" stuff Big Grin

I'm sure it is, but I'm a lazy Blogger and Blogspot had everything I needed and made it simple for me. I know HTML and all that fun scripting stuff, I just have better things to do with my time so that's why I just use a generic layout from blogspot.

I thought about using Twitter in conjunction with my blog but I changed my mind and decided to use it more for personal friend to friend twittering, plus as an offline LJ updater.

I like facebook. I use it to talk to friends mostly but I also use it for clubs and things. I use it like it's my email
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful with out having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it to?" -Douglas Adams.Heart
Pastafarian
I Evolved!
Doesn't anyone get the impression that 'social networking' is actually destroying our social networks.

After about 3 months on facebook i accumulated 104 'friends' of whom:

30% were people from school who i'd lost touch with, didn't want to keep in touch with, and didn't keep in touch with even with the aid of Facebook
30% were people from university i'd lost touch with, didn't want to keep in touch with, and didn't keep in touch with even with the aid of Facebook.
20% were people I have or do work with that I didn't want to keep in touch with ever, or see on a daily basis anyway.
20% were people i was in contact with, saw and spoke to, on a regular basis and Facebook was merely a means of posting absurd little 'wall' messages and various types of 'poking' and 'gifts'.

I think Facebook appeals to the generation getting older who yearn for the nostalgia of the past -- i'm 26 and, yes, remember good times with School friends and Uni friends. When you're in a situation or place you make a circle of friends. Of those friends some become very good friends. When you move on those friends that became very good friends stay very good friends. You make an effort to see them and speak to them. The rest are people you don't really care about any more because they don't pervade your daily life. If you or others can't keep in touch with people by another means apart from the convenience of Facebook, then they're not actually friends and are merely acquaintances. You meet up with friends; spend time with friends; and talk to friends -- not send them 3 line messages. I get the feeling that the whole idea of 'social networking' is absurd and actually detracts from proper friendship: put down the mouse, pick up the phone and ring someone you haven't spoken to in a while. It will enrich yours and the other person's life.

Apart from the absurdity, the other thing that strikes me is the pure arrogance of it all. Again, friends will know what you're interested in or what book you're reading or the latest awsome film you saw. They don't need to look at a profile to find out and the idea that others will find it interesting is just odd (special mention to the information bar: 'Fiona is... skiving off work lol'). This further stretches to things like Livejournal. I can understand blogs that address a particular subject, interest or cause but, seriously, informing the world or friends about your life via an online diary is just insulting. Would it actually take so much to write an e-mail or, again, pick up the phone?

Ok, rant over. In answer to the original question -- I use no social networking sites.
God Calls Me God
My favourite social networking site is twitter. I see it as facebook with all the annoying "features" stripped away.
Hoi Zaeme.
(February 5, 2009 at 10:39 am)rjh Wrote: My favourite social networking site is twitter. I see it as facebook with all the annoying "features" stripped away.
Too true. What is your twitter name? Mine is AtheistBlogger.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boobie McBodacioustatas on X (formerly twitter)? no one 7 531 December 3, 2023 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 795 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  Social Media Foxaèr 3 475 September 30, 2023 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  One of these things is not like the other ones Angrboda 1 391 December 6, 2021 at 12:55 pm
  As Seen on Facebook . . . Shell B 289 26515 August 10, 2021 at 10:19 am
  I no longer accept social distancing. onlinebiker 11 1216 April 13, 2021 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Fun phrases from other countries/cultures. Gawdzilla Sama 3 318 August 3, 2020 at 1:33 pm
  What is Facebook and do you find it valuable Rhizomorph13 22 1240 July 29, 2020 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Bannings, Reports, and Other Actions? no one 21 2844 June 11, 2020 at 7:27 am
  Other forums you belong to... arewethereyet 9 834 June 8, 2020 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir