Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is Facebook and do you find it valuable
What is Facebook and do you find it valuable
I remember when I first signed up for FB and was super stoked to reconnect with people. I thought, "Hey, I remember so-and-so and now I can talk to them over FB and we are going to hang out again!" But then, after a few convos it became abundantly clear that we weren't going to hang out because they had moved or I was busy or any number of other reasons.

I've used it to chat up women I've met at swing dances and ended up hooking up only to then have to wait for them to realize I am dating someone else then they unfriend me.

I've sold one thing, a giant stone Imaginext Dino.

I've argued against my conservative friends and their asinine posts.

I tried a paid ad and totally failed to sell anything but did manage to burn through 100 bucks!

What do you think?
RE: What is Facebook and do you find it valuable
Facebook is a dumpster fire.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
pretty much just yard sale hopping, keeping track of B days and registering for events. My city here sends out all their local police updates on it as well.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
I get some daily laughs from Facebook pages I follow but the biggest thing for me is being able to see pictures and videos of my grandchildren who live a thousand miles away.

Some pages from people or places I have a connection with/to post great photos and I enjoy seeing them.

I was able to sell our old appliances when we got new in December. I posted on a local page and they were gone within hours...in fact, I thought I was going to have to fight the guy who bought the fridge in order to keep it long enough for the new one to get cold. LOL

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I feel I should leave FB but I have so many memories captured on the site in images. It is a great way to keep in touch with family members but, as has been pointed out by LFC, it is a dumpster fire mush of the time!

Why didn't it facilitate closeness like I was hoping?

It provides such an easy way to connect with people you would think that more connection would happen. I used to throw parties and I would get little response and then almost everyone I invited showed up! Or, the other thing where a couple people respond and even they fail to show Confusedadface:.

It is just so weird to me how seemingly difficult it is to maintain human contact without some other driving force like employment. I've had work friends and we do things together outside of work but we lose touch once we no longer work together. This same thing happened with Church and is why I've though about hosting a similar churchlike thing for atheists.
I have never used Facebook or Twitter, never seen the point. If I want to tell someone my news I use email. (but then I am officially a grumpy old fart  Smile  )
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(July 28, 2020 at 2:22 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: I have never used Facebook or Twitter, never seen the point. If I want to tell someone my news I use email. (but then I am officially a grumpy old fart  Smile  )

The chance of any of my three kids answering (hell...reading) an email are slim.  If I want to track them down it's either a with Facebook messenger or text message.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Trying to find something on Facebook you read fifteen minutes ago is like trying to step on the same piece of river water twice.
(July 28, 2020 at 2:00 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: I feel I should leave FB but I have so many memories captured on the site in images. It is a great way to keep in touch with family members but, as has been pointed out by LFC, it is a dumpster fire mush of the time!

It provides such an easy way to connect with people you would think that more connection would happen. I used to throw parties and I would get little response and then almost everyone I invited showed up! Or, the other thing where a couple people respond and even they fail to show Confusedadface:.

It is just so weird to me how seemingly difficult it is to maintain human contact without some other driving force like employment. I've had work friends and we do things together outside of work but we lose touch once we no longer work together. This same thing happened with Church and is why I've though about hosting a similar churchlike thing for atheists.

I speculate that the reason closeness is lacking is because the distance people lay between their offline personas and the obviously carefully curated online personas makes it automatically difficult to parse the two personas together. Really, it strikes me as a travesty of a "social" life that the stories people signal on social media sites like Facebook. I should know, I use Facebook mostly for posting pictures of sceneries from walks that I want to view again later or just remember by. I don't care about pictures of what people had for dinner, I mean, what the actual fuck do I care what you had for dinner? Does it come with a recipe, so it at least has some possible use?
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
(July 28, 2020 at 3:00 pm)Sal Wrote:
(July 28, 2020 at 2:00 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: I feel I should leave FB but I have so many memories captured on the site in images. It is a great way to keep in touch with family members but, as has been pointed out by LFC, it is a dumpster fire mush of the time!

I speculate that the reason closeness is lacking is because the distance people lay between their offline personas and the obviously carefully curated online personas makes it automatically difficult to parse the two personas together. Really, it strikes me as a travesty of a "social" life that the stories people signal on social media sites like Facebook. I should know, I use Facebook mostly for posting pictures of sceneries from walks that I want to view again later or just remember by. I don't care about pictures of what people had for dinner, I mean, what the actual fuck do I care what you had for dinner? Does it come with a recipe, so it at least has some possible use?

I never really thought about it that way because I'm pretty much always just myself. It could make sense that a person wouldn't necessarily want to meet in person when it might blow their cover.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  As Seen on Facebook . . . Shell B 289 26092 August 10, 2021 at 10:19 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  When Morons Find Each Other Minimalist 7 990 November 30, 2018 at 11:24 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  No I did not find Mich McConnell but... Brian37 8 1381 June 20, 2018 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  As you age, do you find yourself becoming more or less irritable? Foxaèr 48 8332 May 4, 2018 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Find out how much your fellow forum members are getting screwed Catholic_Lady 68 7098 April 13, 2018 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Let's heathenize facebook Foxaèr 8 1019 March 21, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  What would you do if you woke up one day to find you were the last person alive? Edwardo Piet 64 16125 October 16, 2017 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: c172
  Minds, Facebook alternative Foxaèr 0 620 July 28, 2017 at 9:34 am
  Uh-oh, maybe Facebook is finally gone Foxaèr 7 1546 June 16, 2017 at 10:02 am
  Can Someone Help Me Find this Word? Rhondazvous 28 5403 February 19, 2017 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous