Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Wars
World Wars
I’ve long felt that we should alter the numbering of world wars (shooting wars, at least). The Seven Years War was, by any metric, a truly global conflict. It lasted almost seven years, took place on four continents, involved more than twenty belligerents, and resulted in more than one million casualties.

Shouldn’t this qualify as ‘The First World War’?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: World Wars
I vote #1 as the Genghis khan years.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(June 3, 2022 at 8:18 am)brewer Wrote: I vote #1 as the Genghis khan years.

The Mongol years didn't manage to involve the Americas or Africa.
(June 3, 2022 at 8:58 am)polymath257 Wrote:

One could argue the Mamluks were seated in Cairo/Africa.

But yeah, strictly speaking no global war could have happened before 1492.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
(June 3, 2022 at 9:06 am)Deesse23 Wrote:
(June 3, 2022 at 8:58 am)polymath257 Wrote: The Mongol years didn't manage to involve the Americas or Africa.
One could argue the Mamluks were seated in Cairo/Africa.

But yeah, strictly speaking no global war could have happened before 1492.

Well, unless it involved the Vikings. I don't recall the Normans having African territory, though. And they didn't really get further east than Rus.
They held a part of North Africa from Sicily, didn’t they?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
If a world war is to be defined as involving major active belligerents from almost all the inhabited continents,  as opposed to merely involving major active belligerents from one or two continents whose mutual struggles spilled over onto almost all the inhabited continents, then I would say WWI was still the first to qualify as aworld war,  while WWII was a much more thorough going world war.  I would argue WWI and WWII was in fact one single world war with a 21 year ceasefire in the middle, where it took the second part to resolve issues that launched the first part.

If a world war is to be defined as a war in which majority of the world’s population, or large portions of the population from each of the inhabited continents, had major skin in the game, then WWI and WWII I think also qualify as the first real world wars, where as 7 years war or napoleonic war were regional war that happen to involve mutual skirmishes that occurred outside the core regions of the major belligerents.
(June 3, 2022 at 10:09 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: They held a part of North Africa from Sicily, didn’t they?

I know they held Sicily, but I'm not sure about any North African holdings. I believe the Arabs were in control of the whole coast at the time.
Tunisia, and parts of Algeria and Libya. 1146-1148. It would fall to the caliphate within a decade.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 3, 2022 at 8:58 am)polymath257 Wrote:

It was their world at the time. Anyplace else and they would have fallen off the edge.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is religion cause of most wars? MitjaHD 57 7620 October 7, 2017 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet