Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is religion cause of most wars?
Is religion cause of most wars?
Some people claim religion has caused the most wars throughout the history of mankind, but. In the book encyclopedia of wars it says out of 1763 wars only 126 were caused because of religion. Theists also defend themselves by saying that atheists have killed more people than religious people (Stalin, Zedong...). How would you respond? Does religion play a role in wars or it has nothing to do with it?
RE: Is religion cause of most wars?
I doubt that it's caused the most, but wherever religion is present religion plays a role. God's rarely on the other guys side, after all. Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm not sure. I know it's the absolute worst reason to participate in or provide a motivating factor for a war.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
No.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1400766
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Possibly not, but any religion that puts a priority on spreading its influence is going to invite conflict. Which can lead to war. As far as atheists killing massive numbers of people, all I can say is it's generally not done in the name of atheism. We don't have a sacred text that says to kill or oppress people with different views from us. So if Stalin or Mao were atheists, it doesn't really speak as badly on atheism as a whole, than it does some religious zealot commanding people be killed because their book plainly says to do such things somewhere in its pages.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(October 4, 2017 at 1:31 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Possibly not, but any religion that puts a priority on spreading its influence is going to invite conflict. Which can lead to war. As far as atheists killing massive numbers of people, all I can say is it's generally not done in the name of atheism. We don't have a sacred text that says to kill or oppress people with different views from us. So if Stalin or Mao were atheists, it doesn't really speak as badly on atheism as a whole, than it does some religious zealot commanding people be killed because their book plainly says to do such things somewhere in its pages.

But their motives still stem from opposition to religion. Stalin killed millions of religious folks in his attempt to eradicate religion and build an atheist society. So saying that atheism wasn't any sort of motive is not accurate.

Of course, this doesn't speak for all atheist people, whom are vastly decent people. Just as the crusades doesnt speak for all Christians. I'll agree with you there.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(October 4, 2017 at 12:45 pm)MitjaHD Wrote: Some people claim religion has caused the most wars throughout the history of mankind, but. In the book encyclopedia of wars it says out of 1763 wars only 126 were caused because of religion. Theists also defend themselves by saying that atheists have killed more people than religious people (Stalin, Zedong...). How would you respond? Does religion play a role in wars or it has nothing to do with it?

It has caused many wars. The crusades, the Muslim wars of conquest the 30 year war between protestants and catholics in Europe and on and on.
But people will go to war over a lot of things land water cut off ears. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Jenkins%27_Ear

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(October 4, 2017 at 1:42 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(October 4, 2017 at 1:31 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Possibly not, but any religion that puts a priority on spreading its influence is going to invite conflict. Which can lead to war. As far as atheists killing massive numbers of people, all I can say is it's generally not done in the name of atheism. We don't have a sacred text that says to kill or oppress people with different views from us. So if Stalin or Mao were atheists, it doesn't really speak as badly on atheism as a whole, than it does some religious zealot commanding people be killed because their book plainly says to do such things somewhere in its pages.

But their motives still stem from opposition to religion. Stalin killed millions of religious folks in his attempt to eradicate religion and build an atheist society. So saying that atheism wasn't any sort of motive is not accurate.

Of course, this doesn't speak for all atheist people, whom are vastly decent people. Just as the crusades doesnt speak for all Christians. I'll agree with you there.

Eradicating religion wasn't the goal, it was one of the means by which Stalin consolidated power, which was the goal.
Whereas killing the heathen on the orders of god almighty very much -is- the goal of every believing jihadist, ever.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 4, 2017 at 1:49 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(October 4, 2017 at 1:42 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: But their motives still stem from opposition to religion. Stalin killed millions of religious folks in his attempt to eradicate religion and build an atheist society. So saying that atheism wasn't any sort of motive is not accurate.

Eradicating religion wasn't the goal, it was one of the means by which Stalin consolidated power, which was the goal.

Um I mean, however you want to word it is fine lol. He was trying to build an atheist state, and in doing so, killed tens of millions of religious people, destroyed churches, and took away people's religious rights. Whether he was doing it to try to gain power or whatever, I don't think changes anything. The same argument can be made for some religious wars being a means of seeking power and control through it, but that doesn't change anything.

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World Wars BrianSoddingBoru4 18 2192 June 3, 2022 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: brewer