Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who will become the next Prime Minister of the UK - after Boris Johnson?
Who will become the next Prime Minister of the UK - after Boris Johnson?
Who will become the next Prime Minister of the UK?

I have a special interest in Tom Tugendhat because of his Yiddish-German name.
For me it is  somehow strange to see a very  German word as part of a British family name.
The German pronunciation would be something like: "too-guend-hut".
I have never heard how he pronounces his own name when he speaks English, or how  other British people pronounce his name.

Here is more about the man whose name says that he has "Tugend" - id est virtue.

Quote:Tom Tugendhat, the chair of the Foreign Affairs Select Committee, announced his candidacy in The Daily Telegraph on 7 July, highlighting his previous experience in the British Army. He said he would reverse the recent increase in National Insurance rates and cut fuel duty.[116] Several Scottish Conservative MPs supported him, and he wrote in his leadership announcement that he would "stand up for the Union and Scotland's role within it".[117] Before entering politics, Tugendhat had served as an intelligence officer in the Iraq War and the Afghanistan conflict.[118] He became the MP for Tonbridge and Malling in 2015 and supported the UK remaining in the EU during the 2016 membership referendum. He was critical of Johnson, particularly over the fall of Kabul, and did not serve as a minister in his government.[118] He said that lack of ministerial experience wasn't a problem as the role of prime minister was "not a management job, it's about having a vision".[119] The Independent described him as "something of a hawk".[120] He was seen as competing with a potential candidacy from the former foreign secretary Hunt for the support of the moderate One Nation Conservatives faction.[121] Tugendhat pledged to maintain the government's policy of deporting asylum seekers to Rwanda.[119] He said he admired Reagan as his "political hero".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Conservative_Party_leadership_election_(UK)
RE: Who will become the next Prime Minister of the UK - after Boris Johnson?
(July 14, 2022 at 2:53 am)Dundee Wrote: Who will become the next Prime Minister of the UK?

I have a special interest in Tom Tugendhat because of his Yiddish-German name.
For me it is  somehow strange to see a very  German word as part of a British family name.
The German pronunciation would be something like: "too-guend-hut".
I have never heard how he pronounces his own name when he speaks English, or how  other British people pronounce his name.

Here is more about the man whose name says that he has "Tugend" - id est virtue.

Quote:Tom Tugendhat, the chair of the Foreign Affairs Select Committee, announced his candidacy in The Daily Telegraph on 7 July, highlighting his previous experience in the British Army. He said he would reverse the recent increase in National Insurance rates and cut fuel duty.[116] Several Scottish Conservative MPs supported him, and he wrote in his leadership announcement that he would "stand up for the Union and Scotland's role within it".[117] Before entering politics, Tugendhat had served as an intelligence officer in the Iraq War and the Afghanistan conflict.[118] He became the MP for Tonbridge and Malling in 2015 and supported the UK remaining in the EU during the 2016 membership referendum. He was critical of Johnson, particularly over the fall of Kabul, and did not serve as a minister in his government.[118] He said that lack of ministerial experience wasn't a problem as the role of prime minister was "not a management job, it's about having a vision".[119] The Independent described him as "something of a hawk".[120] He was seen as competing with a potential candidacy from the former foreign secretary Hunt for the support of the moderate One Nation Conservatives faction.[121] Tugendhat pledged to maintain the government's policy of deporting asylum seekers to Rwanda.[119] He said he admired Reagan as his "political hero".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Conservative_Party_leadership_election_(UK)

Tugendhat hasn't got a snowball's chance - he barely avoided being eliminated in the second round of voting. It's likely to be Rishi Sunak.

It's odd to have a 'special interest' in a candidate because of their name.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Now:

Quote:Suella Braverman out of Tory leadership race as Rishi Sunak leads with 101 votes - as it happened

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2022/jul/14/tory-leadership-race-conservative-liz-truss-penny-mordaunt-rishi-sunak-uk-politics-latest
(July 14, 2022 at 3:28 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It's odd to have a 'special interest' in a candidate because of their name.

Boru

You are a miserable "Admin" without any sense of humour.
You are cowardly enough to insult your members.
You are a disgrace as an  "admin".
As is your idiotic forum.
Tschüss!

I won't waste any more time in your worthless forum.
(July 14, 2022 at 4:16 pm)Dundee Wrote: Tschüss!

Bye!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

To answer the op, who stormed off in a childish hissy fit, the nedt PM of England will be a vicious and vile spoofer swho hates the vast majority of their fellow citizens.

We are talking about a bunch of post-Thatcher tories after all.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(July 14, 2022 at 4:15 pm)Dundee Wrote:
(July 14, 2022 at 3:28 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It's odd to have a 'special interest' in a candidate because of their name.

Boru

You are a miserable "Admin" without any sense of humour.
You are cowardly enough to insult your members.
You are a disgrace as an  "admin".
As is your idiotic forum.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

[Image: 0twlVmq.jpg]

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(July 15, 2022 at 5:38 am)arewethereyet Wrote:

[Image: 0twlVmq.jpg]

Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fifty years after the Yom Kippur War LinuxGal 71 4604 October 18, 2023 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  New UK prime minister: Liz Truss zebo-the-fat 4 759 September 7, 2022 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Louisiana cemetery 'sorry' after denying officer burial 'because he is black' zebo-the-fat 25 1516 January 31, 2021 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Misinformation drops dramatically after Trump gets banned from Twitter TaraJo 22 1660 January 20, 2021 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Stage set for impeachment after Pence dismisses House call to invoke 25th Am. WinterHold 26 1112 January 15, 2021 at 6:24 am
  BREAKING:Clashes erupt after Trump loyalists march against election results WinterHold 28 2102 December 14, 2020 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Aegon
  618,222, the next landmark number for the US. Gawdzilla Sama 2 246 October 27, 2020 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  It's a flat world after all. <-Disney, but SCARY! Brian37 63 4815 May 23, 2020 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  CNN- UN expert recommends Kushner change his phone after suspected Saudi hack WinterHold 1 529 January 25, 2020 at 6:04 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Blue Story: Cinema chains pull gang film after 'machete' brawl Duty 57 4759 November 27, 2019 at 9:30 pm