Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
J.R.R Tolkien historical support of Franco of Spain, whats your view on it?
J.R.R Tolkien historical support of Franco of Spain, whats your view on it?
From what i read, Francisco Franco seemed to have been more in line with Catholic church and less of that of Italian fascists, which some say was more left wing.
Read the source from a Norwegian wikipedia article. Though the one who took over "Juan Carlos I" made Spain into a Democracy, so thats probably not often you see. A country that turns Democratic from a dictatorship, especially in this short term.

But J.R.R Tolkien, author of Lord of the Rings. Is said to have been supportive of Franco, mainly due to Communists destroying churches and lots of those conflicts there. Tolkien himself is said to have despised both Communism and Nazism.

I am just curious to your view on it?
RE: J.R.R Tolkien historical support of Franco of Spain, whats your view on it?
(August 14, 2022 at 5:53 am)Woah0 Wrote: From what i read, Francisco Franco seemed to have been more in line with Catholic church and less of that of Italian fascists, which some say was more left wing.
Read the source from a Norwegian wikipedia article. Though the one who took over "Juan Carlos I" made Spain into a Democracy, so thats probably not often you see. A country that turns Democratic from a dictatorship, especially in this short term.

But J.R.R Tolkien, author of Lord of the Rings. Is said to have been supportive of Franco, mainly due to Communists destroying churches and lots of those conflicts there. Tolkien himself is said to have despised both Communism and Nazism.

Tolkien was devoutly - might almost say ‘vehemently’ - Catholic, so it isn’t difficult to understand his support for Franco, especially as it was mainly because the Republicans were destroying churches and murdering priests and nuns, sort of a support by default.

Tolkien wasn’t alone in this. Most British Catholics supported the Nationalist side in the Spanish civil war (chiefly due to Britain’s long history of treating Catholics pretty sadly). This wasn’t a terribly well-thought out stance to take, as ‘the enemy of my enemy is my friend’ isn’t always true.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: J.R.R Tolkien historical support of Franco of Spain, whats your view on it?
(August 14, 2022 at 5:53 am)Woah0 Wrote: From what i read, Francisco Franco seemed to have been more in line with Catholic church and less of that of Italian fascists, which some say was more left wing.

Lot's of famous people have liked awful people why should we think Tolkien would be different?
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UBI support Poll neil 58 2659 April 1, 2024 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Whats your view on Threat Actors Woah0 12 907 August 29, 2022 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  "Team Normal" A Redneck atheist view. Brian37 0 282 June 17, 2022 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Founding fathers view of government Won2blv 38 2447 March 21, 2021 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Concert in support of Biden campaign Foxaèr 8 533 October 25, 2020 at 5:07 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Most British voters support violence on brexit downbeatplumb 17 1469 October 30, 2019 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Who do you support? WinterHold 13 1434 June 26, 2019 at 9:58 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Democrats Say Don't Support Independents Except... ReptilianPeon 0 388 October 7, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Why are those who support Trump defending him so much GODZILLA 14 1683 June 14, 2018 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  We may have different points of view but can we still be friends? GODZILLA 26 3705 May 30, 2018 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie