Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How come "Snow White Disney movie" was so disliked by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis
How come "Snow White Disney movie" was so disliked by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis
If one really think about it, old images i found of Snow White and dwarves, they kinda look like semi realistic short people. In Norway it would be nisser, or gnomes as they may be known in english speaking countries.

So my guess is, he may have read Prose Edda there is a 19th century illustration of them and they look small and buff, sorta like what Gimli looked like in Bakshi cartoon and Peter Jackson movies of Lord of the Rings.

So whether the depiction is true according to Prose Edda is another case. I havent read it. But what you think?
RE: How come "Snow White Disney movie" was so disliked by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis
Dunno about Lewis, but Tolkien hated Disney generally - not just Snow White - because he felt their film adaptations of faery stories stripped them of all meaning. As a philologist who was more than a little familiar with the cultural value of folk tales, he objected to them being infantilized for a mass market (which is why he turned down great walloping wads of cash from Disney for the film rights to his work).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: How come "Snow White Disney movie" was so disliked by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis
Do we need a new "all about movies" subforum?
(August 21, 2022 at 8:29 am)Jehanne Wrote: Do we need a new "all about movies" subforum?

I'm thinking that "Random Thoughts" might be appropriate.  

Instead we have another poster who thinks every thought vomit needs its own thread.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Last Movie You Watched Foxaèr 5437 476058 April 23, 2024 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  What is your movie guilty pleasure? arewethereyet 51 3710 December 18, 2022 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Charles Bronson movie star Woah0 9 774 September 12, 2022 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  In Hunchback of Notre Dame Disney movie, does Quasimodo imagine the gargoyles Woah0 5 571 August 24, 2022 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  Snow Queen fairytale, whats the moral value of it? Woah0 2 307 August 20, 2022 at 4:54 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Soul 2020 movie Woah0 6 472 August 19, 2022 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Horror movie suggestions BrokenQuill92 16 1613 December 7, 2021 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Valk's is writing for Disney?? no one 3 362 August 27, 2021 at 6:56 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Parent Trap movie, do you think Lindsay Lohan does British English well in it? Sweden83 6 953 December 5, 2020 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Unhinged movie, what you think of it? Sweden83 5 459 December 3, 2020 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet