Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Park. What you think of Cartman?
South Park. What you think of Cartman?
He is my favorite character in South Park
RE: South Park. What you think of Cartman?
I've known too many Cartman-like people in my time. I don't want to watch entertainment that glorifies that. I tolerate it though because I'm a Matt Stone and Trey Parker fan.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Well, that was quick.

I looked to see what else the OP had posted and suddenly (s)he was banned.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(July 9, 2020 at 3:55 pm)tackattack Wrote: I've known too many Cartman-like people in my time. I don't want to watch entertainment that glorifies that. I tolerate it though because I'm a Matt Stone and Trey Parker fan.
Which is kind of odd, since South Park doesn’t really glorify Cartman’s behavior. He’s a sociopathic idiot fatass who goes completely beyond the pale of acceptable human behavior at least once in most seasons (except in Seasons 1-4 and 20) and is Rarely, if ever, treated as anything else.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Never seen it.

Don't know.

Don't care.

Levitate
(July 9, 2020 at 3:02 pm)Snideon Wrote: He is my favorite character in South Park

Too bad you got banned.

I think the character was written by the writers to make fun of assholes. The ongoing theme of the show is he keeps making an ass of himself.

(July 9, 2020 at 3:55 pm)tackattack Wrote: I've known too many Cartman-like people in my time. I don't want to watch entertainment that glorifies that. I tolerate it though because I'm a Matt Stone and Trey Parker fan.

His character was not written to glorify being a dick, his character was written to make fun of dicks, not to tell people to be dicks.
(July 9, 2020 at 5:33 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(July 9, 2020 at 3:02 pm)Snideon Wrote: He is my favorite character in South Park

Too bad you got banned.

I think the character was written by the writers to make fun of assholes. The ongoing theme of the show is he keeps making an ass of himself.

His character was not written to glorify being a dick, his character was written to make fun of dicks, not to tell people to be dicks.

The problem is that many dicks can't tell the difference.
While not lauding cartman’s character, the obvious satire isn’t lost on me. The problem I have is the regularity of the behavior and lack of depth in the character. It’s not like he’s a evil mastermind with a complex set of circumstance and motivations. In movies I prefer my bad guys to have depth and motivations. Cart man is just a trope of a stereo type turned to 11 and left there. That kind of character use just leads to numbing where people get to a point it becomes meme-worthy or humorous and is laughed off rather than discouraged.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(July 9, 2020 at 7:57 pm)polymath257 Wrote: The problem is that many dicks can't tell the difference.

The funny thing is it's not just a problem with dicks. If you're familiar with Black Mirror, bear in mind, that of all the dystopian technologies in each episode, the vast majority ARE ACTUALLY BEING MADE TO HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD by intelligent people. It's shit like this that makes me think "maybe there is something fundamentally corrupt in human nature."
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I never think of him!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think historical accuracy matters much in modern entertainment Woah0 30 1578 September 20, 2022 at 1:05 am
Last Post: Woah0
  Ostrich Egg Omelette Recipe South African Style WinterHold 20 1229 January 10, 2021 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Parent Trap movie, do you think Lindsay Lohan does British English well in it? Sweden83 6 909 December 5, 2020 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Unhinged movie, what you think of it? Sweden83 5 441 December 3, 2020 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
Question What do you think of this new indian spiritual guru ? Megabullshit 4 778 April 13, 2019 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: Megabullshit
  Phew! And another south of the boarder story. Brian37 3 541 July 19, 2018 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Advertising "Who do you think you're fooling?" Brian37 15 1722 March 30, 2018 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  What do you think guys? purplepurpose 15 1684 January 25, 2018 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Which do you think is a surer sign of low intelligence and/or low information? Whateverist 15 4698 June 14, 2017 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Which do you think is a surer sign of low intelligence and/or low information? Whateverist 2 760 June 14, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Aroura