Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Less than half of England and Wales population Christian, Census 2021 shows
Less than half of England and Wales population Christian, Census 2021 shows
Quote:Fewer than half of people in England and Wales describe themselves as Christian for the first time, the 2021 census has revealed.

The proportion of people who said they were Christian was 46.2%, down from 59.3% in the last census in 2011.

Meanwhile the number who said they had no religion increased to 37.2% of the population, up from a quarter.

And people identifying as Muslim rose from 4.9% in 2011 to 6.5% last year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63792408

Now can we PLEASE change the bloody national anthem?!?!!?
RE: Less than half of England and Wales population Christian, Census 2021 shows
Yes, even the guy who is considered an intellectual in Christian circles, Ken Ham, was horrified by churches in London.

This is what he wrote in the intro to one of his many books in which he is trying to stop the loss of Christians.

From Amazon preview
Quote:But inside [the church], I can hear each of my careful footsteps echoing in the dim quiet. I inhale deeply, taking in the aroma of ancient stones and old books. I see rows and rows of ornate pews — seating for more than 3,000 —yet I am ushered into the small foyer area where around 30 chairs are set up and where I join a handful of elderly people with their heads bowed. Humbly and faithfully, those beside me say their prayers and listen to a brief message by a man who speaks of hope — but whose tired eyes seem to feel none of it.

It is Sunday. For hundreds of years the faithful have been walking through the heavy wooden doors on this day, at this time, to gather together and share in the timeless rituals of worship, prayer, and proclamation that made this country the bastion of Christendom for centuries. But this morning I realize that I'm part of a funeral. But it is not the funeral of an individual; it is the funeral of an institution. Within months, the older generation will likely disband and the doors of this church will be shut and locked. The candles will never again be lit. The resounding anthem of the great hymns of our spiritual forefathers will never again echo in its passages.

Since 1969, 1,500 churches in England have heard that final thud as their doors were shut after their final service after hundreds of years of active life.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Ken Ham has a net worth of $54 million:

https://famouspeopletoday.com/ken-ham/
(November 29, 2022 at 12:59 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Ken Ham has a net worth of $54 million:

https://famouspeopletoday.com/ken-ham/

And how much of it does he give to the poor and needy?
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(November 29, 2022 at 7:43 am)Duty Wrote:
Quote:Fewer than half of people in England and Wales describe themselves as Christian for the first time, the 2021 census has revealed.

The proportion of people who said they were Christian was 46.2%, down from 59.3% in the last census in 2011.

Meanwhile the number who said they had no religion increased to 37.2% of the population, up from a quarter.

What did you have in mind? Since Christianity in the UK is on the skids, I suggest ‘Jesus Can’t Play Rugby’.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 29, 2022 at 1:26 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 29, 2022 at 7:43 am)Duty Wrote: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63792408

What did you have in mind? Since Christianity in the UK is on the skids, I suggest ‘Jesus Can’t Play Rugby’.

Boru

Can't play football, either.
What governmental or religious proceeding doesn't dovetail with Yakety Sax?
^We have a winner!!

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 29, 2022 at 2:41 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: ^We have a winner!!

Boru

Seconded!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(November 29, 2022 at 7:43 am)Duty Wrote:

"God save the queen!"

"Well that didn't bloody work!"
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about atheist population Quill01 3 535 August 1, 2022 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Less Cops = ? onlinebiker 86 3137 September 11, 2020 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  And in Texas no less..... Brian37 7 929 November 11, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  More people die from suicide than war and natural disasters combined. CapnAwesome 39 3008 October 16, 2018 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: CarveTheFive
  The middle class gets almost half of U.S. safety-net payments Aegon 11 1318 September 5, 2018 at 7:40 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  One Less Silly Religitard to Worry About Minimalist 14 974 February 6, 2018 at 9:05 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  New Study: atheists are less open-minded than theists Foxaèr 129 41612 July 15, 2017 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Things Becoming Less Murky Minimalist 34 9460 July 1, 2017 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Don't look now women but the court says it's OK to pay you less based on history. brewer 4 1650 April 27, 2017 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Spend Less Time Praying Boys Minimalist 13 3116 April 25, 2017 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist