Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why doesn't God love his enemies?
Why doesn't God love his enemies?
In the Old Testament, he is known as a raging tribal deity—and is not much improved in the New Testament: Jesus speaks of fiery hell and suffering worse than at the time of Noah when the Kingdom arrives. The idea that God loves his enemies is a pretty hard sell.

So what gets? Does this show that God's advice to love your enemies is just bad?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Why doesn't God love his enemies?
Y'see, the OT God was the demiurge Yaldabaoth, and he was a bungler with anger management issues. The NT God is the God of Love, however he's the God who has hell in case we don't love him back, so arguably worse than the first guy.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Jesus was an idealistic persona. His Father isnt.
OT - “You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the Lord,”

I don't see a lot of references to God hating people in the OT, care to point me in that direction? I mean a lot of animals and acts were detestable which is really intense dislike. I do grant that psalms does make a lot of assumptions on God's behalf toward that.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(November 29, 2022 at 12:18 pm)tackattack Wrote: OT - “You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the Lord,”

Just like Jesus, OT god gives plenty of bad advice that even he can not hold to.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(November 29, 2022 at 12:18 pm)tackattack Wrote: OT - “You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the Lord,”

I don't see a lot of references to God hating people in the OT, care to point me in that direction? I mean a lot of animals and acts were detestable which is really intense dislike. I do grant that psalms does make a lot of assumptions on God's behalf toward that.

Seem to hate the Amalekites for “ I remember that which Amalek did to Israel”

Even gave clear instructions to kill everything especially the babies

Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.”

No despot worthy or the name would stoop to binding himself with laws he makes for others.    And god almighty is transcendentally worthy of that name.
Sounds like a Republican god all right. Laws for thee, but not for me.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Well, he gave the Amalekites a pretty rough go of it, ditto the Philistines, the Ethiopians, the Syrians and - on at least one occasion - the Israelites. I think you have to have some degree of hate to slaughter tens of thousands of people and destroy their cities.

God was also very specific in at least one of his hatred - Esau.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 29, 2022 at 12:18 pm)tackattack Wrote: I don't see a lot of references to God hating people in the OT, care to point me in that direction? I mean a lot of animals and acts were detestable which is really intense dislike. I do grant that psalms does make a lot of assumptions on God's behalf toward that.

Malachi 1:3 And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 38447 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  Cult leader encouraging his followers to starve to death. Rev. Rye 2 467 April 28, 2023 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  God's Love Johanabrahams 724 75045 October 3, 2021 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Rainbow (He/Him/His) No penis, identifies as a male Nihilist Virus 25 1946 April 17, 2021 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Jesus’ Failed Prophecy About His Return DoubtingHerFaith 107 15103 January 15, 2019 at 4:29 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Pope Fuckface Is Either Losing His Mind Or Remembered How The Church Traditionally Minimalist 12 2148 October 10, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? vorlon13 92 9093 July 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Why, God? Why?! LadyForCamus 233 29803 June 5, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  So, why doesn't Scripture uniquely endorse a specific denomination ? vorlon13 36 10651 November 22, 2017 at 5:27 am
Last Post: Cod
  My dad doesn't view Christianity as superior Der/die AtheistIn 0 649 November 10, 2017 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn