Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proving evolution?
Proving evolution?
> PitBull @PitBulllOwner
> Replying to @SariellaForever @LinuxGal
>
> So not only can you not refute scripture or answer my science
> questions on evolution but you cant prove your loony evolution
> claims either.. 🤣🤣🤣

Evolution claims are never proven, they are what remains standing after all the loony stuff (like a god giving mouth-to-mouth to a mudpie) is rendered implausible.

[Image: 1575646129479634944-fd3ry91aaaa7ys0.jpg]
RE: Proving evolution?
The moden neo-Darwinian paradigm has made testable predictions over the last century, some of which have been verified; as a scientific model and description of life, it is eminently falsifiable, but, to date, not a single reversal in the fossil record has been found. To claim that evolution can someday be disproven is to claim that we will all awake someday to discover that Science has, finally, discovered the Earth to be flat. While theoretically possible, such is vastly, vastly improbable.
Any given theory -of- evolution may, at least potentially, end up being proven false..but it would not be possible to prove that evolution were false..because life does, in fact, change.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 29, 2022 at 11:18 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Any given theory -of- evolution may, at least potentially, end up being proven false..but it would not be possible to prove that evolution were false..because life does, in fact, change.

That sounds like an equivocation.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(December 29, 2022 at 11:18 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Any given theory -of- evolution may, at least potentially, end up being proven false..but it would not be possible to prove that evolution were false..because life does, in fact, change.

If rabbit fossils, world-wide, were found in a layer below trilobite fossils, then evolution would be falsified.

If Genesis 2 said a Day Six human being existed before Day Five birds (actually, it does), then believers would say one of the following:

1. Genesis 1 is not to be taken literally. It's just a litany used in temple worship. 
2. Genesis 2 is a secondary creation that all happened on the sixth day so Adam could name the birds that already existed.
3. Genesis 2 is not intended to present the chronological sequence of events, it's a theological statement.
Quote:> PitBull @PitBulllOwner
> Replying to @SariellaForever @LinuxGal
>
> So not only can you not refute scripture or answer my science
> questions on evolution but you cant prove your loony evolution
> claims either.. 🤣🤣🤣

Evolution claims are never proven, they are what remains standing after all the loony stuff (like a god giving mouth-to-mouth to a mudpie) is rendered implausible
Creationists don't have any science they have a rejection of science, And Evolution is the cornerstone of modern biology that interweaves with a number of other scientific fields and is believed by countless Christians so it's not even an atheistic idea. Creationism by contrast has a group of snake oil salesmen and a few hacks with actual degrees in something relevant to the field and most of them are too cowardly to engage in peer review or write papers that can be scrutinized outside their echo chamber. instead, they choose live debates where their word games and razzle-dazzle can confuse an ill-informed public like a typical con artist.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(December 29, 2022 at 2:49 pm)Angrboda Wrote:

That sounds like an equivocation.
I can't really help the way things sound?  I do get that when most people say "evolution" they mean a specific theory, but to then extend a falsification of a specific theory to mean that the observation of the thing it had hoped to explain is somehow invalidated is an effect of a subtle and probably unintentional equivocation itself.  It doesn't just sound that way, and it might even be why such clarification sounds like an equivocation?  That's just a hypothesis, that may not be why people make this mistake, but if there were some other explanation it would still be the fact that people do make this mistake.  Another simple example, this time by close analogy.  Finding that any given theory or hypothesis of gravity is false, would not change the way things are observed to fall.  
(December 29, 2022 at 3:03 pm)LinuxGal Wrote:

If rabbit fossils, world-wide, were found in a layer below trilobite fossils, then evolution would be falsified.
Not in the slightest, though it could..in theory... falsify some theories of how or when or in what sequence the observed changes occurred.  We do, btw, sometimes find fossils where they aren't expected to be.  Creationists tend to make alot of hay about these.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 29, 2022 at 3:38 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote:
(December 29, 2022 at 2:49 pm)Angrboda Wrote: That sounds like an equivocation.
I can't really help the way things sound?  I do get that when most people say "evolution" they mean a specific theory, but to then extend a falsification of a specific theory to mean that the observation of the thing it had hoped to explain is somehow invalidated is an effect of a subtle and probably unintentional equivocation itself.  It doesn't just sound that way, and it might even be why such clarification sounds like an equivocation?  That's just a hypothesis, that may not be why people make this mistake, but if there were some other explanation it would still be the fact that people do make this mistake.  Another simple example, this time by close analogy.  Finding that any given theory or hypothesis of gravity is false, would not change the way things are observed to fall.  
(December 29, 2022 at 3:03 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: If rabbit fossils, world-wide, were found in a layer below trilobite fossils, then evolution would be falsified.
Not in the slightest, though it could..in theory... falsify some theories of how or when or in what sequence the observed changes occurred.  We do, btw, sometimes find fossils where they aren't expected to be.  Creationists tend to make alot of hay about these.

Scientific evolution is the idea that the change and diversity of life forms can be explained through naturalistic processes of variation with inheritance.  Evolution as 'change' is a completely different concept, so using both within the same breath as if they were the same is an equivocation.
That's not even the theory of evolution. Inheritance with variation is genetics. Mendel worked that one out. Still a useful example. Let's say that inheritance with variation is not the way anything works - we would still be searching for why parents children are similar, but not identical. That's the observation that a theory or hypothesis attempts to explain.
(December 29, 2022 at 4:08 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: That's not even the theory of evolution.  Inheritance with variation is genetics.  Mendel worked that one out.  Still a useful example.  Let's say that inheritance with variation is not the way anything works - we would still be searching for why parents children are similar, but not identical.  That's the observation that a theory or hypothesis attempts to explain.

Yes, that is the theory of evolution. No, that's not what Mendel worked out. And now, you've worn out your welcome with bullshit defenses.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving The Resurrection By the Minimal Facts Approach Randy Carson 1298 177901 July 26, 2015 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Randy Carson
  Proving the Bible Lemonvariable72 100 11219 May 10, 2014 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Deepthought
  Patent on device proving God (no kidding, real patent) Anymouse 3 2234 June 29, 2011 at 11:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Proving the Bible is false in few words. Rwandrall 184 73347 June 7, 2010 at 2:28 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko