Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patent on device proving God (no kidding, real patent)
Patent on device proving God (no kidding, real patent)

A friend sent me an article written in the early 1950s about L. Ron Hubbard when he was just getting Scientology off the ground. That article may be found at Central Michigan University: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf...index.html
The article was a pan of Scientology just as it was getting underway, by its earliest supporters.

But what got me about that article was a side note: that a fellow in Providence, Rhode Island obtained a patent from the US Patent Office on a device that looks amazingly like a DNA double helix, in 1909, as a demonstration of the existance of God in then mandatory Natural Theology classes (since rebranded Creation Science, then Intelligent Design). The patent application and approval is viewable at the US Patent Office Website: http://patimg2.uspto.gov/.piw?docid=0108...PN/1087186 (wow what a URL).

To actually read the application, which is saved by the Patent Office as a TIFF file, requires a TIFF plug-in for IE, Opera, or Safari. (Sorry Firefox users.) The Patent Office has two download sites for the plug in.

The summary of the Patent Application is a mastery of doublespeak and snake-oil salesmanship to patent a device to show the existence of God. This often gets a hoot at meetings of biologists, since his device looks amazingly like a DNA strand. The only unusual thing is he came up with this double-helix explanation of God in 1908. DNA was discovered by Dr. Friedrich Miescher in 1869.

The design of his model, meant as a teaching aid for theology, is essentially a DNA strand model, and schematics and drawings of it are viewable at the Patent Office site as well.

More after citation:

United States Patent Application #1,087,186/Device to Illustrate the Existence and Attributes of the Supreme Being Wrote:Socrates Scholfield, of Providence, Rhode Island
Illustrative Educational Device
Patent number 1,087,186 Specification of Letters Patent.
Application filed March 22, 1909
Patented Feb 17, 1914

Be it known that I, Socrates Scholfield, a citizen of the United states, residing at Providence, in the State of Rhode Island, have invented a new and useful Illustrative Educational Device, of which the following is a specification.

When teaching natural theology in schools, which is that part of theological science, that treats of those eveidences of the existence and attributes of the Supreme Being, that are found in natural science, it is desirable to illustrate certain of these evidences by means of schematic mechanical devices.

And with this specific object in view, the schematic device herein shown and described, provides an educational emblem of the idea of a supreme, everlasting consious sensibility, and is adapted to illustrate certain of its fundamental conditions; but, in order to properly explain the scope of hte invention, it will be necessary to first set forth in mechanical terms certain biological and theological doctrines.

He then goes about defining all of this stuff, so he can patent his mechanical proof for God. It is an amazing amount of doublespeak and hogwash, yet the Patent Office, which will not issue a patent for a perpetual motion machiine, issued one for The Proof of the Existence and Attributes of the Supreme Being.

James - always keeping you informed on the non-science of Christianity, though they never stop trying.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
RE: Patent on device proving God (no kidding, real patent)
there is also a patent for a "device in the shape of a stick used in recreational activities whereby it is to be thrown and recovered by a canine" I'll try to dredge up the link.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I remember seeing patents for sex toys as well. Don't remember how/where I came across those, though.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Hey now, sex toy schematics are a legitimate use of the patent office. A market advantage absolutely should be conferred on those generous souls who endeavor to create or invest in technologies to enhance our quality of life Smile
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving evolution? LinuxGal 24 2685 March 19, 2023 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Proving The Resurrection By the Minimal Facts Approach Randy Carson 1298 177852 July 26, 2015 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Randy Carson
  Proving the Bible Lemonvariable72 100 11215 May 10, 2014 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Deepthought
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12406 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  Morality is external therefore the Christian god is real? Lemonvariable72 9 3932 October 4, 2013 at 11:23 pm
Last Post: Searching4truth
  Why god is not real in my opinon Truth_finder23 74 23227 July 4, 2013 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  God is Real and seen By People Christian 46 13658 January 23, 2013 at 11:36 am
Last Post: Brian37
  how do you tell the difference between a false prophet and a 'genuinely' god-powered one with 'real' revelati Mark 13:13 43 15856 January 9, 2013 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Mark 13:13
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6690 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad
  If god is real why go on living? Judas BentHer 16 8806 July 26, 2011 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Judas BentHer