Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proving the Bible is false in few words.
Proving the Bible is false in few words.
We all have had this argument to face at least once: how to prove that what the Bible says isn't true. In my last few conversations with theists i have used a path of questions that often leaves them without clear answers or with no answer at all (no response to an argument, on the Internet, often being an admission of defeat).
However it is far from perfect and i will need the help of my fellow atheists to plug the holes Smile

This is only usable against reasonable people, who at least partially accept evolution and have normal moral values.

Here is the present one, simplified, because most of the answers are usually "yes, but..."

Me-Do you agree that some things in the Bible are not true, like Adam and Eve ?
Them - Yes
Me- If the Bible is the word of God, is God a liar ?
Them - No
Me- So this means the Old Testament was written by humans ?
Them - Yes
Me- Then, since Jesus says the Old Testament is true, and in the Gospels appears with figures from the Old Testament (Elie and Moses i believe ?), does this mean that not everything in the Gospels is true ?
Them - well, it has to be interpreted, it cannot be taken literally.
Me- Then, who interprets it ?
Them - The Church
Me- Since the Church has done countless horrible acts in the past, do you agree that it is not always holy ?
Them - Yes
Me- So how can you trust an organization that has been corrupted for two millenia to interpret the sayings of a God that you claim is so above us that we cannot comprehend his intentions anyways ?

That is usually where i lose them, often in the "this is my faith, i cannot prove to you it is real" argument or in inconsistent phrases full of catch-words.

it is a rough draft and probably will not hold against people with high education who really looked into the subject, how can i improve it ?
RE: Proving the Bible is false in few words.
(May 10, 2010 at 1:14 pm)Rwandrall Wrote: Me-Do you agree that some things in the Bible are not true literal, like Adam and Eve ?
Them - Yes
Me- If the Bible is the word of God, is God a liar ?
Them - No The bible was written by humans. Who may have gotten it wrong. God can't lie.
Me- So this means the Old Testament was written by humans ?
Them - Yes
Me- Then, since Jesus says the Old Testament is true, and in the Gospels appears with figures from the Old Testament (Elie and Moses i believe ?), does this mean that not everything in the Gospels is true ?
Them - well, it has to be interpreted, it cannot be taken literally. ?
Me- Then, who interprets it ?
Them - The Church hmm... ok I'll give you that
Me- Since the Church has done countless horrible acts in the past, do you agree that it is not always holy ?
Them - Yes
Me- So how can you trust an organization that has been corrupted for two millenia to interpret the sayings of a God that you claim is so above us that we cannot comprehend his intentions anyways ?
people are fallible... the bible establishes this at the beginning. When people have bastardised Christianity for their own evil aims Christianity has condemned it. The truth of the message is constant.
I like the way you started this, but I think you could do better and even add some branching logic:

1: Do you believe that the bible is the literal word of god?
A: No (go to 2)
B: Yes (go to 6)

2: So you agree that some things in the Bible are not literal, like Adam and Eve?
A: No (go to 6)
B: Yes (go to 3)

3.) So the Bible must be interpreted by (hu)man(s) as a collection of allegories?
A: No (they've stone walled. there is no hope. just walk away now)
B: Yes (go to 4)

4.) So who provides the interpretation?
A: X (fill in the blank, go to 5)

5.) So the bible is the literal word of X and you worship X?
B: Yes (oh fuck, they're really drinking the kool-aid. walk away and watch your back!)

6.) So you also believe that people should be killed for wearing cotton blends, that owning slaves is OK, and that it's also OK to sell your daughter?
A: No (they see the error of their ways. Welcome them to the dark side.)
B: Yes (RUNNNNNNNNNNNNN!)
I love friendly debate, but I love to stir the pot and play the devils advocate even more.
----------
"Always demand proof, proof is the elementary courtesy that is anyone's due." - Paul Valéry
----------
Ask me about atheism, vegetarianism, secular parenting, or anything else! http://formspring.me/chrisbloom7
(May 10, 2010 at 3:54 pm)xangelusx Wrote: I like the way you started this, but I think you could do better and even add some branching logic:

2: So you agree that some things in the Bible are not literal, like Adam and Eve?

3.) So the Bible must be interpreted by (hu)man(s) as a collection of allegories?

B: Yes (oh fuck, they're really drinking the kool-aid. walk away and watch your back!)

6.) So you also believe that people should be killed for wearing cotton blends, that owning slaves is OK, and that it's also OK to sell your daughter?

Lol yeah that should have been my approach, although with your method it seems it all ends with "walk away", and you are right in saying so. It is sad that too often theists just get blocked on an idea and wont let anything budge their position.
Also, God can lie. He told Abraham that he wanted him to sacrifice his son. He told Adam and Eve that they would die if they ate the apple.
fr0d0 Wrote:God can't lie

Why not?
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
(May 10, 2010 at 4:37 pm)Shinylight Wrote:
fr0d0 Wrote:God can't lie

Why not?

Because he's omni... wait...
Because the definition doesn't allow for it.
Yet the Bible depicts God as a liar.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(May 10, 2010 at 5:20 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Because the definition doesn't allow for it.

What is your definition of God?

Cut it down from the full thing please
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
Me play Big Grin

(May 10, 2010 at 3:54 pm)xangelusx Wrote: I like the way you started this, but I think you could do better and even add some branching logic:

A: No - you said "some things" not 'all things' dummy Tongue

Illogical question. I expect no better from an illogical person Smile

Conclusion : you're a twat! LOLOL Big Grin

(May 10, 2010 at 5:28 pm)Eilonnwy Wrote: Yet the Bible depicts God as a liar.
Proof or you owe me 1 shag

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving evolution? LinuxGal 24 2687 March 19, 2023 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44082 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Did Moses really write the first few books of the bible? T.J. 30 2143 November 19, 2021 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The implications of Obama's words at the Charleston shooting memorial. Duty 21 1892 April 13, 2021 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 5115 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The false miracle of Fatima now a movie Foxaèr 17 1648 September 6, 2020 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Christian trigger words Nihilist Virus 173 20578 April 12, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  World ending on April 23rd, says false prophet Divinity 41 8544 April 27, 2018 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Truer Words Were Never Spoken Minimalist 9 2462 April 23, 2018 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Record few Americans believe in Biblical inerrancy. Jehanne 184 22433 December 31, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician