Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shedding off religion
Shedding off religion
Greetings. 

I'm 28 years old female, a Theologian, I am from Greece - a DEEPLY Christian nation and here is my story.

I was raised a Greek Christian Orthodox, but never believed it. In my teen years I discovered Judaism and fell in love with it. I spend hours studying the scriptures, watching videos of rabbis, memorizing prayers, blessings and following all the rituals I could because my parents were very opposed to all of this. I was doing all of these for 11 years but never actually approached the rabbi because I was afraid that he would turn me down, but visited the synagogue several times for services and high holidays. Added to that, I started  learning Hebrew, was keeping kosher (as much as I could), dressing modestly (Haredi style) and was fiercely and openly pro Israel. Due to my education I had the pleasure to also study about different dogmas, religions and philosophies and to also visit different places of worship. But nothing for me compared to Judaism. I was also very deep into anti Christian apologetics. I believed in the spiritual superiority of Judaism above all other faiths. But thankfully, my worldview would collapse...

I was watching Shtisel, an Israeli tv series about an ultra orthodox family. Suddenly I saw that FIRST COUSINS (!!!) were flirting and was suggested that they could marry each other! Terror. Judaism can't allow this surely, right? Well, turns out this is okay by Jewish standards and Jewish law. I was feeling as if the rug was pulled under my feet. I needed to get back to reading. Maybe there's more I do not agree with...

So I started reading the Torah cover to cover. Long story short, now with more mature eyes and education (I was 16 when I first read the Torah & clearly didn't do a good job digging in), I realized I was following a fictional, blood thirsty, illogical, immoral tyrant created by a patriarchal, archaic, blood obsessed tribe of the middle east. My world came crushing down. So many years spent, mindlessly loving a tribal blood cult... So much pain arguing with my parents, feeling rejected, feeling lonely.

Then and there I knew - gods are nothing. Myths, legends, a coping mechanism to ease our insecurities. It was not a happy moment though, it felt like freedom. I am currently on a journey to learn more about science, evolution, logic, ethics and morality. Although this gives me a new perspective and meaning in life, I must say, shedding off religion from one's life is a very painful and heartbreaking experience. What I once loved so dearly, now I despised. My dreams and plans shuttered. 

Being diagnosed with OCD and depression for years now, I wonder if this "spiritual journey" was all just an obsession, a compulsion or an emotional crutch. I receive medication and therapy, so I don't ask of any help with my mental issues because they are being addressed and cared for. What I am asking for is tips on how to deal with my deconversion. Any personal stories would be also, highly appreciated.

Thank you.

P.S. I'm no longer pro Israel.
RE: Shedding off religion
Welcome, soulnomore. I hope you like it here and I am looking forward to your contributions. Maybe you could ask a moderator to move this thread to Introductions?
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
No need to ask. Good looking out.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Welcome, glad you found us.

As far as "tips on how to deal with my deconversion" I think the best that I can offer is 'give it time, it will eventually fade away'. I think it's good that you're looking into science, evolution, logic, ethics and morality but I'm not sure that will help your leaving religion issues.

Best wishes.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Welcome. Sounds as though you have an excellent list of things to study that should keep you busy for a while. Science, evolution, logic, etc. Enjoy the experience of learning new things. It's very likely that the more you learn, the more the religious stuff will fall away.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Yassas.

This place isn't so bad if you don't mind the roaming dragons, seriously when are the mods going to call animal control?!
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

welcome
(January 17, 2023 at 4:08 pm)Nay_Sayer Wrote: Yassas.

This place isn't so bad if you don't mind the roaming dragons, seriously when are the mods going to call animal control?!

You’ll go before the dragons, pal. Wink

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Hello.
(January 17, 2023 at 8:03 am)soulnomore Wrote: Greetings. 

I'm 28 years old female, a Theologian, I am from Greece - a DEEPLY Christian nation and here is my story.

I was raised a Greek Christian Orthodox, but never believed it. In my teen years I discovered Judaism and fell in love with it. I spend hours studying the scriptures, watching videos of rabbis, memorizing prayers, blessings and following all the rituals I could because my parents were very opposed to all of this. I was doing all of these for 11 years but never actually approached the rabbi because I was afraid that he would turn me down, but visited the synagogue several times for services and high holidays. Added to that, I started  learning Hebrew, was keeping kosher (as much as I could), dressing modestly (Haredi style) and was fiercely and openly pro Israel. Due to my education I had the pleasure to also study about different dogmas, religions and philosophies and to also visit different places of worship. But nothing for me compared to Judaism. I was also very deep into anti Christian apologetics. I believed in the spiritual superiority of Judaism above all other faiths. But thankfully, my worldview would collapse...

I was watching Shtisel, an Israeli tv series about an ultra orthodox family. Suddenly I saw that FIRST COUSINS (!!!) were flirting and was suggested that they could marry each other! Terror. Judaism can't allow this surely, right? Well, turns out this is okay by Jewish standards and Jewish law. I was feeling as if the rug was pulled under my feet. I needed to get back to reading. Maybe there's more I do not agree with...

So I started reading the Torah cover to cover. Long story short, now with more mature eyes and education (I was 16 when I first read the Torah & clearly didn't do a good job digging in), I realized I was following a fictional, blood thirsty, illogical, immoral tyrant created by a patriarchal, archaic, blood obsessed tribe of the middle east. My world came crushing down. So many years spent, mindlessly loving a tribal blood cult... So much pain arguing with my parents, feeling rejected, feeling lonely.

Then and there I knew - gods are nothing. Myths, legends, a coping mechanism to ease our insecurities. It was not a happy moment though, it felt like freedom. I am currently on a journey to learn more about science, evolution, logic, ethics and morality. Although this gives me a new perspective and meaning in life, I must say, shedding off religion from one's life is a very painful and heartbreaking experience. What I once loved so dearly, now I despised. My dreams and plans shuttered. 

Being diagnosed with OCD and depression for years now, I wonder if this "spiritual journey" was all just an obsession, a compulsion or an emotional crutch. I receive medication and therapy, so I don't ask of any help with my mental issues because they are being addressed and cared for. What I am asking for is tips on how to deal with my deconversion. Any personal stories would be also, highly appreciated.

Thank you.

P.S. I'm no longer pro Israel.
Hello soulnomore.  Nice to meet you.  I too have OCD, though it has waned over the years.  Now the only manifestation is that I wake up every night and think the house or the barn is on fire or I left something on somewhere that is going to start a fire.  So I get up, check, and then go back to sleep. I've learned to manage it without medication.  

It is a very difficult thing to leave a religion.  You feel lost and don't know what to do and you face a lot of pressure to come back into the fold.   But your mind is the most powerful tool you have and it's all you really need.  There's only one remedy for bad ideas and that's to replace them with good ones.  For me, it was learning how to think and studying logic that was the biggest help. It's just like climbing a mountain.  Take one step and then take another and you'll get there.  You're are fortunate to have the internet.  It didn't exist when I left religion so I was pretty much on my own given where I lived in the southern U.S.   

I wish all the best for you and I'm ready to help if I can.
"Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture,  an intransigent mind, and a step that travels unlimited roads."

"The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see."