Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Top Ten Least Religious States
The Top Ten Least Religious States
http://www.boston.com/news/local/article...tts_a.html

Massachusetts is tied with Maine for third place. Big Grin

For those members in the US, how religious is your state based on this article?
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: The Top Ten Least Religious States
Hmmm, that gives me a good idea. I'm going to compare the statistics from my blog to those results, and see if the numbers match (i.e are more people coming to my site from non-religious states).
(January 30, 2009 at 4:43 pm)Eilonnwy Wrote: http://www.boston.com/news/local/article...tts_a.html

Massachusetts is tied with Maine for third place. Big Grin

For those members in the US, how religious is your state based on this article?

I notice Rhode Island is in there. I learned in a paper quiz only this week that it is the smallest state. Apart from making a bad joke about whether size matters, I wonder if it really might be a factor in this case?
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
Of course I have to live in one of the MOST religious states....Georgia. :/

I'm moving to Vegas.
yyyeeeaaahhh
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful with out having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it to?" -Douglas Adams.Heart
Pastafarian
I Evolved!
The state of death.
(January 31, 2009 at 2:59 pm)bozo Wrote: I notice Rhode Island is in there. I learned in a paper quiz only this week that it is the smallest state. Apart from making a bad joke about whether size matters, I wonder if it really might be a factor in this case?

Naw, it's location. The Northeast, aka New England is entirely represented in the top 10 for least religious. So the 6 New England states are Massachusetts, Vermont, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, and Maine. Interestingly enough the Northwest is also not very religious.

I would wonder if it has more of a correllation with Population density.
http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/rarepla...ity_lg.gif
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...ty_map.PNG

Comparing the population maps with the religion one it seems the most densely populated states lean towards the least religious. Not always but I think it's interesting to note.

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Florida is average, which is where I live. But I'm really from NJ and I think that NJ was not that religious. Either way, I miss living up north, there's much more tolerance. I hate Florida.
Cher

"I have no advice for anybody; except to, you know, be awake enough to see where you are at any given time, and how that is beautiful, and has poetry inside. Even places you hate" -Jeff Buckley
(February 7, 2009 at 4:40 pm)Rockthatpiano06 Wrote: Florida is average, which is where I live. But I'm really from NJ and I think that NJ was not that religious. Either way, I miss living up north, there's much more tolerance. I hate Florida.

Definitely. I used to hate living in Boston and wanted to move to California. But now that I'm old enough to appreciate things like political atmosphere I've come to love Boston. Being in the first state to allow Gay Marriage makes me proud. Big Grin

I live in the first country to alow same-sex marriage. :p
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(February 8, 2009 at 2:25 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: I live in the first country to alow same-sex marriage. :p

yeah yeah yeah, whatever. Dodgy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proof at least one god is b.s. onlinebiker 10 1358 March 16, 2021 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Blasphemy law in the United States Interaktive 37 3606 February 2, 2020 at 8:00 am
Last Post: Yongy50
  [Serious] Over the top Belacqua 146 13059 August 28, 2019 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Humanist marriages 'least likely to end in divorce' Duty 20 3462 March 11, 2019 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9692 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Top misconceptions of Theory of Evolution you had to deal with ErGingerbreadMandude 76 12693 March 7, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 12772 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Sye Ten debate tactics tor 26 9086 April 14, 2014 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: JuliaL
  Humanist Ten Commandments Doubting Thomas 47 10299 November 8, 2013 at 4:13 am
Last Post: genkaus
Video Why the Ten Commandments are Bulls**t (video) theblankideas 2 1876 May 13, 2012 at 7:06 am
Last Post: theblankideas