Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humanist marriages 'least likely to end in divorce'
Humanist marriages 'least likely to end in divorce'
Quote:Scottish couples who chose a humanist wedding are less likely to divorce than those who had other types of marriage ceremony, figures for the BBC suggest.

Humanist weddings have been legal in Scotland since 2005 and are now more popular than Church of Scotland and Roman Catholic weddings combined.
Marriage experts said divorce rates across the UK generally were declining. They said other factors could determine whether couples stayed together, such as age, wealth and shared values.

Lalala  go the theists, wakey wakey rise and shine  Great
RE: Humanist marriages 'least likely to end in divorce'
When reading articles like this, I always want to know what are the factors that come into play here that contribute to these differences.

As the article says, when you're not pressured to get married (as is often the case with traditionalist types), you're going to make better decisions when it comes to whether it's worth it to get married or not. Those who decide to get married after some good decision making process indicative of better control of one's "destiny" and of autonomy are naturally going to be less likely to feel they made some mistake by marrying and therefore are less likely to get divorced after a while. And those who decide not to get married won't have to worry about divorce.

Of course, that's just one factor, and multiple factors interacting with one another are often at play when it comes to complex human and social dynamics.
So a personalized coached ceremony where the vows are coached and the ceremony reflects the pairs beliefs, lasts longer than a cookie cutter religious ceremony or legal justice of the piece; sure I can buy those stats, just disagree on your bias against religious weddings. Much like modern religion , when you just end up going through the motions you get shitty results and a lack of commitment.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
So much for Humanism.  Anything that prolongs a Scottish marriage should be outlawed.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 10, 2019 at 6:15 pm)tackattack Wrote: So a personalized coached ceremony where the vows are coached and the ceremony reflects the pairs beliefs, lasts longer than a cookie cutter religious ceremony or legal justice of the piece; sure I can buy those stats, just disagree on your bias against religious weddings. Much like modern religion , when you just end up going through the motions you get shitty results and a lack of commitment.
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((9)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I think there is some confusion about marriages ceremonies.

A valid marriage is a contract between 2 people.  A marriage only becomes valid when registered. (here that means going to the office of"births deaths and marriages",  making a declaration and filling in a form.)

A church ceremony sanctifies a marriage. The "celebrant" sanctifies or 'celebrates 'the marriage. He /she does NOT 'marry' the two people. 

Centuries ago, a marriage was considered valid once a couple had decided and agreed to be married. No witness was required.

That   fact has never really changed in essence. A Christian would have a marriage is a contract between two people in the sight of god. 

This all changed when the church claimed marriage as a sacrament. They got away with it because the very nature of marriage changed. Marriage was initially about children. Later , it changed to being about property and inheritance, especially among monarchs and the nobility. A bastard had no right of inheritance. All children born within a marriage were legitimate, it was irrelevant who the father might be.

That concept has not been used so much since DNA has bean available to prove parentage.

--"when you just end up going through the motions you get shitty results and a lack of commitment."

Not sure the results are due to "modern religion" (what ever that might be) perhaps more a case of modern indifference and the increased secularisation of societies.

Australia is one of the most secularised societies on earth. Most of us go to church for baptisms, marriages and funerals. Excuse the language; the rest of the time, "not a fuck is given".  I don't except that morality is predicated on committed religious belief, so I'm not fussed.. However, I  can understand how deeply distressing such a situation could be to a devout believer.

I have only ever been to one marriage where the hippy couple wrote their own vows. That was in 1971. They remain  married.

Me? I got married in a Church; it was important to my wife  and to both Catholic families.It was simply a practical thing to do. I considered my marriage vows binding ,as are any vows I have made voluntarily. It was my devout Catholic wife who ended our marriage, not me. (Australia  has 'no fault' divorce)
OP: That's only because not enough scottish humanists have tried to marry me.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I wasn't confused on wedding ceremonies.
There are humanist there (to quote the referenced article) "Humanist weddings are deeply personal, with a unique ceremony crafted for each couple by a celebrant that gets to know them well and ensures that their script and vows reflect precisely who they are and the commitment they are making to each other."

To which the column later states that since the average expectancy of marriage and the Scots have only had their humanist weddings for around 13, it too soon and to small a sample to draw an accurate conclusion. I was just buying that it probably does last longer because it's not focused on any religions recitation or dogma which is inherent in catholic weddings and far more personal touch than just a simple civic ceremony, which is usually non-standard and often in a registrar office.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
It's not about the particulars of the wedding ceremony, jesus christ........
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Humanist baptisms are 99% less likely to result in child molestations than Catholic ones.
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 10, 2019 at 10:55 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Humanist baptisms are 99% less likely to result in child molestations than Catholic ones.

THAT is a disgusting thing to say, and in no way provable. Not funny..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is PeTA atheist or something of a humanist? BananaFlambe 11 721 December 4, 2023 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Dawkins loses humanist title Foxaèr 165 5776 June 6, 2021 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Proof at least one god is b.s. onlinebiker 10 1304 March 16, 2021 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  List of religious end times/Second coming of Jesus predictions purplepurpose 13 4122 November 22, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How would Abrahamic religions end? mota 18 8642 August 2, 2018 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Anyone here wear atheist/humanist jewelry? Foxaèr 24 3434 March 5, 2018 at 2:20 am
Last Post: rskovride
  The bible teaches that there is no immortal soul and that death is the end MIND BLOWN LetThereBeNoGod 4 1728 February 16, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Scientists discover new form of matter in 2017. (The end of human suffering?) %mindless_detector% 17 5108 January 29, 2017 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  i think we are living in the end times! Rextos 5 1742 December 17, 2015 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  how do you think life on earth will end? Rextos 42 6362 November 18, 2015 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie