Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 4, 2024, 3:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Need for Scapegoats in All Forms of Oppressive Regimes
The Need for Scapegoats in All Forms of Oppressive Regimes

Administrator Notice
Post placed in hide tags due to length.

Boru
[Image: 7151bc275de2d3d422106a4008215efe.jpg]

RE: The Need for Scapegoats in All Forms of Oppressive Regimes
Islam was invented in the 6th or 7th century. It didn't turn shitty in the 20th, it's always been that way. Famously, the biblical story of lot wasn't explicit enough, for them, in condemning the homosexers. They prettied it up a bit, made it more explicit, and the ink has been dry on that for some time. Ironically, you've confused post modern secular tolerance for the message of the religions it replaced.

That islamic dictators were (and still are) very often rule breakers is not an argument that the religion was kinder - it's a testament to the duplicity and decadency of the warlords who inflicted islam on their conquered lands. Pretty standard. Rules for thee and not for me. More broadly, tell me how you're different than the next nutter bitching about the great satan in your attempt to shove off the problems with islam itself as magic book describes it.... as late western imports?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 5, 2023 at 6:14 am)Leonardo17 Wrote: In oppressive regimes there is always this need to target some groups of people.

This is not only true in oppressive regimes, though. It's very common for certain groups to be demonized in order to increase solidarity among more mainstream people. Hegel called it "negative identity." You define who you are according to what you are not, whom you hate, whom you would like to see gone from the face of the earth.

Americans need Russians to give themselves a common group identity. For a long time it was the Soviet Union, then it was Muslims for a while, and now it's Russia again. The propaganda war is in full swing to make China a scapegoat, once we get tired of hating Putin and forget about Ukraine the way we forgot about Afghanistan.

On this forum there are a few people whose hatred of religion seems to be a central part of their personality. Some people get pleasure from hating. 

Quote:When I was in college I did study Orientalist painters like Eugene de la Croix for instance. Even in the beginning of the 20th century the Orient was seen by Europeans as this mystical realm that was visited by archeologists and treasure hunters [...]

Orientalism of the modern type got up and running in early 19th century France. It was largely started by Napoleon, who conquered Egypt and slaughtered the inhabitants of several towns there and in Syria in order to prove his skills as a general, and exploit resources for France. He took with him a large team of artists and archeologists who kept in-depth records of the culture as they killed and colonized its people. The set of prints they published on their return is a great masterpiece.

Both Delacroix and Ingres, who in other respects were opposites, got a lot of mileage out of exotic and erotic scenes of harems. Fantasies of available slave girls and freer, non-European morals were partly male fantasy but partly true. If you read Flaubert's journals from his trip through Egypt, for example, he seems to have spent more time in brothels than gazing at monuments. 

There continues to be a strong tradition of mature men, who wouldn't define themselves as "gay," having boy lovers. It was well known that the warlords in Afghanistan whom the US wanted to support frequently kept boys for such purposes.

Just as some people insist on defining Christianity by pointing to its very worst examples, modern Americans often think of Islam as only and always terrible. They can do this by remaining ignorant of large parts of its history. There have been Islamic societies in which liberal learning and lifestyles were encouraged. There is nothing intrinsic to Islam that makes it like the Taliban, just as Christianity can be far better than its modern American bad examples. But demonizing and scapegoating make it easier to fund the war machine.

Up through the time of the Beat Poets, Northern Africa and parts of the Middle East were destinations for sex and drug tourism, including by many gay writers and artists. This has reportedly ended as more strict Muslim regimes discourage such exploitation. But it's a typical way for colonial powers to use "exotic" countries: take from them what you want (sex, drugs, oil, etc.) while declaring that they are backwards and uncivilized compared to us. 
The use of scapegoating is common to all form of repressive government because it is common to all forms of government.   It is common to all forms of government because it is common to all form of human society.   It is unavoidable in human society because no society can continuously deliver on such positive promises as might be required to maintain its cohesion over the long term, so it must find other ways to preserve the society in the face of disappointment by setting itself apart from others while increasing the perceived cost for its members of drifting away.   We see this with theocracies, we see this with rightwing dictatorships, we see this with communist government, and we see this with democratic forms of government..
[Image: ActivePeriodicDogfish-size_restricted.gif]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why don't the dictator regimes be punished by the west? WinterHold 14 1148 March 8, 2019 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Ivanka insulting the mothers of all immigrants, or better: all immigrants. WinterHold 22 2272 May 31, 2018 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: brewer
Question Overthrowing oppressive regimes by military force Aractus 116 13501 March 12, 2016 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  The 14 defining characteristics of fascist regimes Doubting Thomas 3 1021 July 19, 2013 at 9:32 am
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  Women, a regimes last resort. Something completely different 3 1582 January 24, 2013 at 8:39 am
Last Post: Dee Dee Ramone