Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Epilogue
Epilogue
As I don't see any reason anymore to stay in these forums, I think some regulars here I enjoyed to have discussions with do deserve, in the end, to know who I am, what my beliefs really are, even though I am sure this is the last post I can make. So, let me introduce myself.

I joined this forum, for the first time, back in 2017, under the pseudonym Parsim0ny, opened a thread about how atheism is incompatible with trusting mental faculties, stayed for some time then got bored, and later forgot both the password and the account's email when I tried to login after being off for almost 2 years, so I created a new account under the pseudonym Klorophyll, I was interested in these boards and many others because I simply wanted to discuss stuff with people in english, as mastering this language was and still is a top priority in my life, mainly for career-related reasons (my job is insurance-related). It also happens that I like discussing contentious topics and unending controversies, so an atheist forum is perfect for that.

Even though I grew up in a mildly religious family from Morocco, I taught myself everything I know today about Islam. My father had a large collection of Islam-related books and encyclopedias at home, in addition, of course, to a copy of the Qur'an. There I stumbled upon the first book I ever read about my religion, besides the Qur'an, the well-known Minhaj' Al-Muslim (The way of the Muslim) which presented core Sunni Islam doctrines in a very accessible way, while avoiding any contentious doctrine that doesn't have a solid basis in authentic scripture, my early exposure with this material was largely helpful. It never troubled me to distinguish what's genuinely taken from authentic hadiths, from what's made up to win arguments. My interest in islamic belief became more intense when, one day, a well-known riddle dawned on me : how do I know that monotheism is true, instead of polytheism, in other words, why should the creator be a unique being ? I remember feeling deeply anxious about not being able to come up with a satisfying answer to such questions, I kept searching and searching online, and all I could find was even more riddles : why should God's power be infinite, why can't God create a rock He couldn't lift, can He stop being omnipotent. I ended up finding a marvelous argument for uniqueness, along these lines: multiple Gods would have unconstrained wills, otherwise they wouldn't be a god, it follows their wills can conflict, and so one god's will cannot be instantatied, reductio ad absurdum. But perhaps this response isn't watertight, or that it rests on dubious premises, it still was enough for me back than to relieve a profound anxiety. Armchair theology really helped me.

For most of these questions, I felt like a clear understanding of the core tenets of Islam,  that the Qur'an is God's words verbatim, intended for anyone alive anywhere, that God isn't hidden, or unknowable, or some amusing philosophical puzzle. God intervened in history through the genuine religious experiences of His prophets. And people are epistemically obliged to obey the prophets. The main philosophical problem facing those who don't want to take the prophets' message at face value is, as I presented it here repeatedly, the principle of credulity : what appears to be so, is indeed so, unless we have very good reasons to think otherwise. Atheists will always fail to come up with these good reasons, and the intial plausibilty of the prophets' messages/revelations/stupendous achievements as religious leaders will always outweigh unreasonable doubt.

But it's not difficult for me to see things from an atheist's perspective; we seem to be alone in the world, we want to live life fully and not be constrained by any limitation, religious or otherwise. Human beings full of life. All the youthful bravado, all the childlike stubborness, all the freedom in the world. But it's all a passing apparition, and then everything is gone, you'll disappear for good. Seeking ultimate reasons is all that matters, the starry heavens above me are a good introduction to these reasons. When I'm dead, I don't want to be a mere memory for my loved ones, I don't want be a mental trace in someone's hippocampus, I don't want to be survived by anyone. I want to survive. And I believe God does want me to survive, He's capable of creating an immortal soul, and I believe He did. I believe you're also an immortal soul, please, stop being an atheist, you're worth more than that. 

In the end, here is my first thread ever in these boards, I'm not proud of everything I wrote there, but yeah, I can at least say that my english improved a bit:
https://atheistforums.org/thread-49599.html

Thank you to anyone who had genuine discussions with me. This is the moment where I get out and leave, for good.
RE: Epilogue
So summed up. You lose we win  Hehe

Enjoy your what 4th ban now and try not to have a mental breakdown and try hacking the site again.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

The fact that stupid people unfailingly manage to convince themselves that they are clever is proof there is no god. QED.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
This is why I couldn't be a mod. I'm a petty person, I'd remove the entire self serving woe is me post and replace it with a mod box that said 'No one cares'
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(May 13, 2023 at 10:29 pm)Nay_Sayer Wrote: This is why I couldn't be a mod. I'm a petty person, I'd remove the entire self serving woe is me post and replace it with a mod box that said 'No one cares'

I could have done that but preferred to leave the admission of sockdom so the reason for the ban was clear to those who like to challenge staff decisions/actions.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Fwoooosh!!!
Dying to live, living to die.
(May 13, 2023 at 7:21 pm)Helios Wrote: So summed up. You lose we win  Hehe

Enjoy your what 4th ban now and try not to have a mental breakdown and try hacking the site again.

Explain please. What hacking?
He said that Jesus was human. So now we know he is just muslim who hates infidels.
(May 14, 2023 at 12:47 am)purplepurpose Wrote: He said that Jesus was human. So now we know he is just muslim who hates infidels.

Muslims also believe that Muhammed was only a man -- a prophet. Muslims reject the idea of JC being an avatar of your god, but still respect him. They only believe that Muhammed got it more right.

I guess it is kind of sad that Klor thinks we are interested in his life story. I mean the reveal that he comes from an oppressive Muslim family and that is why he is into Islam is as underwhelming plot twist as there can be.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"