Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potato Diet
Potato Diet
Has anyone here tried Penn Gillette's potato diet? There are a number of potato diet videos on YouTube, claiming that those who have tried it have lost up to 100 pounds in three or four months. I presently weigh 335 pounds and have mobility issues dues to my age (75) and advanced arthritis. I could probably get around a lot easier if I could shed 100 pounds by next December. Any thoughts or recommendations?  Hungry
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
RE: Potato Diet
Ask your physician.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(June 21, 2023 at 6:39 am)Tomato Wrote: Ask your physician.

I've already discussed this with my doctor. He recommended that I should eat potatoes for five days a week, then resume my regular eating habits for a couple of days.
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
Cut out sugary drinks, and snacks. Protiens, veggies, and fruits should make up the majority of your diet. Cut out starches too. Remember age, sex, ethnicity are also determining factors.

I understand you have some mobility issuses, try to find some sort of low impact aerobic activity. Get yourself a calorie counting app, it can help get you on the right track of meal planning.

I am not a tall person. Several years ago, at a routine check-up, I stepped on the scale and I was nearly 200 pounds. I changed my life habits that day.

It is not an easy road. Determination, is the most important element in your new outlook.
(June 21, 2023 at 6:47 am)no one Wrote: Cut out sugary drinks, and snacks. Protiens, veggies, and fruits should make up the majority of your diet. Cut out starches too. Remember age, sex, ethnicity are also determining factors.

I understand you have some mobility issuses, try to find some sort of low impact aerobic activity. Get yourself a calorie counting app, it can help get you on the right track of meal planning.

I am not a tall person. Several years ago, at a routine check-up, I stepped on the scale and I was nearly 200 pounds. I changed my life habits that day.

It is not an easy road. Determination, is the most important element in your new outlook.

Thanks for the suggestions. Any form or aerobic activity is out, however, because of my arthritic condition. I can't deal with stairs anymore or walking more than 100 feet at a time. If not for my home elevator, I would have had to sell my house by moved into an assisted living facility. The only exercise I get now is from doing light household chores. Hopefully, I'll become more active as I lose weight.
Household chores is more than enough to get the ball rolling. Dress a little warmer than necessary. It raises you body temp, and which in turn helps burn more calories. It is not a significant difference, but maybe you burn an extra 20 calories while doing so. 20 extra calories a day could be upwards of an extra 100 or so a week, an extra 400 or so a month.
Also, start out slowly. Give yourself a starting point like 30 days or so out. Slowly start to trade the not so good eats fot the good eats. Trying to do too much too fast is a sure fire way to failure.
I really like potatoes but can't imagine eating plain potatoes...maybe it's all the other stuff that makes me like potatoes so much. All that bad stuff that makes a baked potato taste so good.

Many years ago I was waiting tables and a friend's mother ordered her baked potato plain with some sliced lemon on the side. I saw her squeeze the lemon on the potato. Turns out she was diabetic and didn't need the butter, sour cream, etc. so she used lemon juice. I've never tried it but it seems like that may work to add a little something.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

http://rationalia.com/z/leprechaun.gif
Cabbage diet.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.