Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion - the accepted way to express hatred?
Religion - the accepted way to express hatred?
Religion seems to be the acceptable face of hatred - whether it's racial, national or just about any other way of describing divisions of people worldwide.

In my own case; being brought up a Muslim, the hatred shown for Christians, Jews, Hindus and indeed other sects of Islam ( in some cases even more vehemently than non-muslims), showed me that the supposed 'peace' message just wasn't the core of the religion.

Now I also have a very good friend who is C of E and having had many discussions with him over the past couple of years...he hates Jews and states quite calmly that they are being punished by God for the killing of Christ...and that's why he hates them. He believes quite smugly) that everyone else, including the Catholics will go to hell.

Another friend who is Hindu tells me that she hates Muslims, she doesn't have a specific reason apart from 'that Hindu & Muslims' have always hated each other...oh and she's quite fond of telling people that Gandhi was killed by a Muslim...which is not true - he was killed by a Hindu extremist...Dodgy

Why is it that so may religious people feel the need to hate...?

[Image: god-hates-fags.jpg]

[Image: behead-those-insult-islam2.jpg]
RE: Religion - the accepted way to express hatred?
(January 31, 2009 at 7:39 pm)GSARider Wrote: Religion seems to be the acceptable face of hatred - whether it's racial, national or just about any other way of describing divisions of people worldwide.

In my own case; being brought up a Muslim, the hatred shown for Christians, Jews, Hindus and indeed other sects of Islam ( in some cases even more vehemently than non-muslims), showed me that the supposed 'peace' message just wasn't the core of the religion.

Now I also have a very good friend who is C of E and having had many discussions with him over the past couple of years...he hates Jews and states quite calmly that they are being punished by God for the killing of Christ...and that's why he hates them. He believes quite smugly) that everyone else, including the Catholics will go to hell.

Another friend who is Hindu tells me that she hates Muslims, she doesn't have a specific reason apart from 'that Hindu & Muslims' have always hated each other...oh and she's quite fond of telling people that Gandhi was killed by a Muslim...which is not true - he was killed by a Hindu extremist...Dodgy

Why is it that so may religious people feel the need to hate...?

[Image: god-hates-fags.jpg]

[Image: behead-those-insult-islam2.jpg]

Could be that they've been turned into being not very nice.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
I think they just hate on what their religion says is wrong. The "God hates fags" sign is a good example. Chances are if a person is against homosexuality, it probably has something to do with "marriage being holy, and is only for a man and a woman."
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful with out having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it to?" -Douglas Adams.Heart
Pastafarian
I Evolved!
What you don't see in that first picture is on the back of the sign it says "Don't Smoke".
Hoi Zaeme.
(February 2, 2009 at 8:02 am)rjh Wrote: What you don't see in that first picture is on the back of the sign it says "Don't Smoke".
Hahaha Smile

I think religion makes it easier for people to hate various social groups (gays, blacks, Muslims, etc), but hatred itself is accepted regardless of its root cause (albeit begrudgingly). It's an expression of opinion, and as such deserves the appropriate freedoms that we enjoy.

Doesn't mean I have to like it though Devil
"I am a scientist... when I find evidence that my theories are wrong, it is as exciting as if the evidence proved them right." - Stargate: SG1

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, -- a mere heart of stone. - Charles Darwin
Isn't it funny.

god is always against and for whatever the thing the group with the banner is against or for.

And whatever the position there is a bible quote to support it.

Chistianity.

The one book fits all religion

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Indeed, i agree it is funny.

People think that Christianity is loving and caring for others, its far from that. Its probably one of the most discriminating and hating religions out there.

I personally do not hide the fact that I am an Atheist, there is no reason i should have to hide who I am, and what i believe just because it is not the social "norm" of our society.

In my experience, I had taken this girl to the mall to get to know each other a little better. She was from a small town in Illinois and I'm from a bigger city in Colorado. Anyhow, we started talking and got on the topic of religion, she started saying "oh, well its in the bible, it must be right." crap. all i simply said to her was, "Well, I don't believe in the bible, it doesn't make me a bad person, I just don't believe in it." To make a long story short, she wouldn't believe me. She thought that Atheists were just a "myth" and that everyone believed in god. Well I told her she was wrong and that there are good people out there that just don't have the same views as everyone else. Right then and there, she threw a empty water bottle at my face in the middle of the mall food court and demanded that i drove her back to her hotel.

Why does religion spark such hatred? I know for a fact that I am a moral person with good intentions, but the second i stand up for my "unmoral" belief I get scolded. I just think that its funny how immigrants 200 years ago came to United States for religious freedom, when it was really just to start another form of religious tyranny. I couldn't become president of the United States if I was the most intelligent candidate running, just because I'm an atheist. You gotta love it.
Bora Bora, that's a horrible story. I wish I could find more atheists here. I think I'll probably die alone because a christian isnt going to want me :p
Cher

"I have no advice for anybody; except to, you know, be awake enough to see where you are at any given time, and how that is beautiful, and has poetry inside. Even places you hate" -Jeff Buckley
very convenient how people's gods usually hate the same people they do.

Bora Bora: It isn't immoral to be an atheist. You don't have to believe in anything supernatural to have morals. they are not one in the same. Morals come from your culture and compassion for other humans. Niether require belief in the supernatural. And if you don't have a religion, you don't actually have "beliefs", so it's up to other people to make their case for why they believe. Sorry you got the ol' water-in-the-face-on-a-date. You gotta hand it to her, that's just what Jesus would have done! Wink
I think it's quite different here in Europe, there's more tolerance / acceptance of varying views. It's not such a big issue. From all I've read, you seem to have more fundamentalist 'believers' than we do.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Is the generally accepted version of history a faith based religion? trustyoursources 47 5008 March 25, 2017 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  I don't exactly feel the same way I once did. Ryantology 18 2676 January 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  If someone says science can't explain everything what's the best way to repond? ReptilianPeon 94 12940 December 14, 2016 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  I'm beginning to have a growing hatred for Christians, do you blame me GoHalos1993 11 2270 May 23, 2016 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Theist trope: "Is life just a game?", what's the best way to rerpond? ReptilianPeon 8 3049 May 20, 2016 at 4:06 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10598 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  If someone says to me "consciousness, therefore god", what's the best way to respond? ReptilianPeon 56 7598 March 9, 2016 at 7:02 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4869 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Justifying the way things are. Combanitorics 11 3538 October 31, 2015 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19598 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon