Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covid
Covid
I am not going to point fingers, but this is what I have personally witnessed from working in the nursing home.

It is the visitor's right to enter the facility without a mask. It is the resident's right to not wear a mask in the facility. Healthcare workers can have religious exemptions from being vaccinated. This ensures covid will always find a way in.

As a Healthcare worker, we can only be without a mask when everyone in the facility has tested negative.

Yet even the precautions within the building are overbearing and pointless now. The minimal covering does not ensure germs are not spread around. There is no more quarantining the covid in one area of the building separate from others. You can have a covid room directly across the hall from a non-covid room, so that when the door is opened out pours the germs into the hallway. Personal protective equipment does not cover us from head to toe. The main concern I notice is the germs getting in our hair. And what is the most common action when caring for a resident in bed? Leaning over them while sprinkling germs onto them from the tops of our heads.

Workers have left the field because of covid, and I have dealt with it too long. I am doubting I can continue much longer in this field. But I also don't know what else to do at my age.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Covid
I'm not a healthcare worker, but there's no coming back from covid, for me. Craven opportunists killed our grandparents. Millions of them. There's no rehabilitation for that. There will never be a meeting of the minds and a hug and a fistbump and a coming together. There's a line, for me. The nuts, and death itself.... are on the other side of it. They can both fuck right the fuck off forever. I thought I'd already been radicalized, but I was wrong.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I am well aware that covid is not going anywhere. There is a prevalent saying in the field that it is the new flu, albeit no longer quite as deadly as it was in the beginning.

And I am uncertain I have it in me anymore to continue to work in this field where I am seeing contradictions in how we are to deal with it in the field where I will have to spend the rest of my working career in watching idiots just continue to walk covid back into the building.
~ Erin Hunter
Morbid curiosity, but what's the policy on shingles? You can just walk in and out with covid, but are old folks homes inviting shingles to dinner? How about syphilis? We cool with syphilis?

See, this is why I work with plants and animals. You don't have to deal with this shit. When a bunch of animals get sick because they don't give a fuck, you just kill them.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Well, shingles is not contagious. I also have not heard of a case of syphilis in a facility during my short tenure at least.
~ Erin Hunter
Well shit, that sounds like a gap. We've gotta get all these seniors syphilis like we went out of our way to get them covid!

Or is that not how these places are supposed to work? Wink
(September 23, 2023 at 12:25 pm)Foxaèr Wrote: I am not going to point fingers, but this is what I have personally witnessed from working in the nursing home.

It is the visitor's right to enter the facility without a mask. It is the resident's right to not wear a mask in the facility. Healthcare workers can have religious exemptions from being vaccinated. This ensures covid will always find a way in.

As a Healthcare worker, we can only be without a mask when everyone in the facility has tested negative.

Yet even the precautions within the building are overbearing and pointless now. The minimal covering does not ensure germs are not spread around. There is no more quarantining the covid in one area of the building separate from others. You can have a covid room directly across the hall from a non-covid room, so that when the door is opened out pours the germs into the hallway. Personal protective equipment does not cover us from head to toe. The main concern I notice is the germs getting in our hair. And what is the most common action when caring for a resident in bed? Leaning over them while sprinkling germs onto them from the tops of our heads.

Workers have left the field because of covid, and I have dealt with it too long. I am doubting I can continue much longer in this field. But I also don't know what else to do at my age.

At this point and time you can only protect yourself. If the patients/other staff/management don't want to take preventative measures then that's on them.

Things might change if the die off rate returns, but I doubt it. And the home will keep the beds full anyway.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
It's interesting to me that the doctor's office I go to now has some pretty lax standards. Masks are 'encouraged' but not required. You have to self report COVID symptoms - which run the gamut from every damn thing to nothing at all. They don't even take your temperature any more when you sign in.

I read something a couple weeks ago of all the things you can be dealing with that could be a result of having had COVID. Basically the list had no end to it. I am a bit leery of the concept that everything you are dealing with healthwise can be written off as being caused by COVID.

In the meantime, if the pharmacy I use doesn't get the new vaccine in pretty soon, I will shop around. I still seldom mingle with the public and I do keep masks in my car and have one or two stashed in my purse.

I have been having dental work done lately and they seem to take more precautions...of course, they are still in your face so I am not sure what good it does for COVID prevention.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(September 23, 2023 at 12:25 pm)Foxaèr Wrote: I am not going to point fingers, but this is what I have personally witnessed from working in the nursing home.

This just came to me, have you ever considered becoming a phlebotomist? Less patient contact (and all of the ick that comes with it) less interaction with staff, comparable income to other cna work. I see in FL that it only takes an 11 week course and I doubt that math will be an issue. There is something about state certification but I doubt it's any more complicated than cna.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I am a big fan of good phlebotomists. I have crap veins so when I come across one that can hit me with one stick, they are my favorite person for the day. I am used to being stuck a minimum of three times and sometimes it's five, though they technically aren't supposed to do that. I was disappointed at my last doctor visit that the girl with all the the themed rubber ducks isn't there anymore. I think she could hit a vein on me with her eyes closed, she was that good.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free COVID tests again arewethereyet 6 479 December 13, 2023 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  [Serious] SERIOUS POST, Hillbilly Atheist has COVID. Brian37 50 3039 January 8, 2021 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: Hillbillyatheist
  Health advocates do not condemn these gatherings as risky for COVID-19 transmission Agnostico 108 7392 June 14, 2020 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Agnostico
  Inovio tests new COVID-19 vaccine on humans Megabullshit 0 202 April 7, 2020 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: Megabullshit
  Are parents allowed to stay with little kids if infected with covid 19 ? Megabullshit 30 1806 April 3, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger