Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The religion of peace
The religion of peace
[Image: thumbs.gif]

"Wherefore if forgers of money and other evil-doers are forthwith condemned to death by the secular authority, much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death." -- St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica (Secunda Secundae Partis,11,3)
RE: The religion of peace
^You could escape execution in most of the Middle Ages by learning Latin - being able to read the Bible was taken as evidence that you were at the very least a lay cleric. Clerics had to be tried in ecclesiastical courts, which did not have the power to sentence someone to be executed. You could be flogged, tortured, banished, excommunicated, or be declared an outlaw…but not executed.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
https://www.globalgreyebooks.com/malleus...ebook.html
I thought this was going to be about those wacky Buddhist monks in Myanmar.

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/myanmar...00817.html
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 24, 2023 at 3:16 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: [Image: thumbs.gif]

"Wherefore if forgers of money and other evil-doers are forthwith condemned to death by the secular authority, much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death." -- St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica (Secunda Secundae Partis,11,3)

The saint thought the Romans didn’t fully earn the reputation of “making a desert and calling it peace”.    So he thought the worshipers of the lamb of god, armed with his power, should do better.
(September 25, 2023 at 6:40 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: The saint thought the Romans didn’t fully earn the reputation of “making a desert and calling it peace”.    So he thought the worshipers of the lamb of god, armed with his power, should do better.

[Image: 813n2v.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Gives You Peace.... ronedee 82 7011 September 29, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: MadJW
  Christianity And Peace Der/die AtheistIn 12 2815 July 22, 2017 at 1:00 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Pope Francis backs peace efforts in Christmas Day message zebo-the-fat 63 14958 December 27, 2015 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Pope calls for peace zebo-the-fat 51 6467 April 9, 2015 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  The Pope prays for peace (again) zebo-the-fat 3 1251 December 27, 2012 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Cyberman