Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those who understand the law better than me (would you want it this way too?)
For those who understand the law better than me (would you want it this way too?)
Is there any way, while I'm still in my right mind, to include in my will specific instructions to euthanize me when I become too old to take care of myself, need to be placed in a nursing home, or lose my mind via dementia?
RE: For those who understand the law better than me (would you want it this way too?)
Quote:The basics of Florida's euthanasia-related laws are listed in the table below, with an expanded summary below. See FindLaw's Patient Rights Basics for more related articles and resources.

Code Section 765.309
Euthanasia Condoned in Statutes?    Nothing construed to condone, authorize, or approve mercy killing or euthanasia or to permit any affirmative or deliberate act or omission to end life other than to permit the natural process of dying.
Effect of Withholding of Life-Sustaining Procedures    The withdrawing of life-prolonging procedures from a patient in accordance with any provision of this chapter does not for any purpose constitute a suicide.

What are the Applicable Florida Laws Regarding Euthanasia?

The laws governing advanced health care directives, including euthanasia, are found in Chapter 765 of the Florida Statutes. The specific section regulating euthanasia is section 765.309.

What is an Advanced Health Care Directive?

An advanced health care directive is a written document or oral statement, properly witnessed by another person, which provides instructions concerning any aspect of a person’s health care. They can be particularly important to have in place if a patient later becomes too sick or disabled to express his or her wishes.

Is Euthanasia Condoned in Chapter 765?

No. Nothing in Chapter 765 should be interpreted to condone, authorize, or approve mercy killing or euthanasia or to permit any deliberate act or omission (failure to act) to end life, other than to allow the natural process of dying.

What is the Effect of Withholding Life-Sustaining Procedures?

A person may create a living will that directs medical professions to withhold or withdraw life-prolonging procedures in the event that person has a terminal illness or end-stage condition, or is in a persistent vegetative state. The withdrawing of life-prolonging procedures from a patient in accordance with any provision of Chapter 765 does not constitute a suicide.

As the population in the United States continues to age, euthanasia remains a significant and hotly debated topic. State laws are constantly changing and it’s best to contact a legal professional if you have specific questions. An experienced estate planning attorney can discuss your situation with you and help you prepare an appropriate advanced health care directive.

Florida Euthanasia Laws
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
RE: For those who understand the law better than me (would you want it this way too?)
You could also move to a more enlightened state.
Living will is about as close as you can come with pull the plug options.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 27, 2018 at 7:00 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Living will is about as close as you can come with pull the plug options.

You could pay somebody to hire a hitman for you when the situation arises.
Dr. Vorlon has just diagnosed you with a polonium deficiency.

Please stop by KGB headquarters to fill your prescription.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(July 27, 2018 at 8:25 am)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(July 27, 2018 at 7:00 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Living will is about as close as you can come with pull the plug options.

🙋🏻‍♀️
Dying to live, living to die.
(July 27, 2018 at 1:45 am)Kit Wrote: Is there any way, while I'm still in my right mind, to include in my will specific instructions to euthanize me when I become too old to take care of myself, need to be placed in a nursing home, or lose my mind via dementia?

bold mine.

You give yourself way too much credit. Big Grin
(July 27, 2018 at 8:25 am)Jörmungandr Wrote:

You know, the funny thing is, while I don't have a proper will, I do have the idea that if I'm ever in a persistent vegetative state (like Terri Schiavo was) with no chance of recovery, I'd ask to have the plug pulled, and that if it takes too long (once again, like Terri Schiavo, who took 13 days to die after her feeding tube was removed) , the people in charge should hire a hitman to take me out. When you're a morbid teenager with issues with depression (as well as a dying grandmother) coming of age just as the Terri Schiavo case becomes a media circus, you kind of think about these things quite a bit, especially at the time. Admittedly, not so much now, but thinking it over, I'd stand by that idea.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
If I were in a persistent vegetative state, I'm not sure I'd care. If I had locked-in syndrome, on the other hand, I don't know.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you still cook if you diddn't have to? Angrboda 41 2165 October 30, 2023 at 3:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Which do you want to go? Foxaèr 13 786 October 18, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Do people just naturally want conflict Ahriman 113 3724 September 26, 2023 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The right way to be and the wrong way to be Ahriman 57 4620 April 29, 2022 at 9:23 am
Last Post: Angrboda
Thumbs Up Is bigger really better? onlinebiker 7 399 February 27, 2022 at 8:23 am
Last Post: brewer
  Ever been treated this way? Strange Vague Story. Disagreeable 18 1167 January 31, 2022 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  It' s never too late to start onlinebiker 2 401 October 18, 2021 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Spooky
  Fist bumping isn't better for germaphobes Foxaèr 17 2621 September 12, 2021 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Where would you go if you could? Brian37 24 2014 August 18, 2021 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Cold - either way. onlinebiker 12 623 January 23, 2021 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama