Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Former Catholic
Former Catholic
As a kid that was born into a very Catholic family, but never really believed any of it, to an admitted lifetime Atheist for over 50 years, my thoughts on all organized religion hasn't changed one bit. Fuck all of 'em.

My 3 sisters all went through 12 years of catholic school, but I only lasted 9 years. After that, I'd had enough, and finished high school at the public school around the corner. We had to go to mass every Sunday, which I'd always hated.
Finally, in my late teens, they gave up on trying to make me go.
I was the only guy in my class that wasn't an altar boy, I had zero intention of ever doing that.

When my wife and I got married, we had the ceremony in the same church. We only did it to make our parents happy, neither one of us was religious in any way. When our son was born in '83, my wife suddenly wanted to raise our son in a religious environment, and started looking for a church that she liked. I wanted nothing to do with any church or religion, and told her she was on her own on the subject. So we've been married for over 40 years despite her devout belief, and my Atheism.

The Catholic Church has a really dark past, and is responsible for millions of deaths since its inception. The crusades, the inquisition, the exploration and destruction of indigenous tribes in north and South America, and stealing precious metals and gems to enrich themselves from the new world in the previous centuries.
Now we're learning about the church covering up priests' "indiscretions", including moving them to other dioceses to avoid any publicity, and paying off the victims.
It's not just the priests though, now we're finding out about schools for single girls in Ireland run by the nuns that were killing and burying the babies, as well as the "Indian schools" up in Canada that have mass graves on their property.

Why does this institution even still exist? How much money are they really worth? The Vatican is its own country, pays zero taxes, enforces its own laws with it's own police, and is housing who knows what in its archives?
They even helped the fucking Nazi's during WWII.

Of all the christian belief systems, the Catholic Church would be first on my hit list to tear down. I also despise islam, judaism, hinduism, all organized religion. I have zero use for any of it
RE: Former Catholic
Yup.

Ex-Catholic here. Never really believed but my mother is Catholic.

About 8 years old I realised, 100%, it was utter bullshit.
Dying to live, living to die.
Dad's side of the fam was Catholic. Mom's was not. Was raised Catholic though I really didn't buy into it much, just played along. Went to Catholic school from 6th grade through high school graduation. Stepped away completely in my early 20s. My sister and brother are younger than I am and their whole school career up through high school was in Catholic school. Sister is an atheist. Brother belongs to a church because he was able to get a better Catholic school tuition rate for his son who was not doing well in public school. His belief lies in saving money...I don't think God or the Church has anything to do it.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Unless you're officially excommunicated, the church still considers you a catholic. Tongue
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(September 27, 2023 at 5:04 pm)Foxaèr Wrote: Unless you're officially excommunicated, the church still considers you a catholic. Tongue

I know - I still get my annual appeals for money from the school...that's what they call it but it arrives about 4 times a year.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Makes me wonder if we can send a letter to the Vatican.

Dear Pope,

I'm a heathen, so kindly excommunicate me.
~ Erin Hunter
(September 27, 2023 at 5:04 pm)Foxaèr Wrote: Unless you're officially excommunicated, the church still considers you a catholic. Tongue

Even under excommunication, the Church still considers you a Catholic. You can’t take part in the sacraments is all it means these days.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 27, 2023 at 6:15 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Even under excommunication, the Church still considers you a Catholic. You can’t take part in the sacraments is all it means these days.

Boru

I wonder, do they check your catholic identification card before allowing you to partake?
~ Erin Hunter
(September 27, 2023 at 6:23 pm)Foxaèr Wrote:
(September 27, 2023 at 6:15 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Even under excommunication, the Church still considers you a Catholic. You can’t take part in the sacraments is all it means these days.

Boru

I wonder, do they check your catholic identification card before allowing you to partake?

Nah, it's on the honor system.  Angel

(September 27, 2023 at 6:23 pm)Foxaèr Wrote:
(September 27, 2023 at 6:15 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Even under excommunication, the Church still considers you a Catholic. You can’t take part in the sacraments is all it means these days.

Boru

Yes. Yes they do.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Being Catholic isn't an ethnic thing. Joods 0 791 March 12, 2018 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Joods
  Confessions of a former Christian fundamentalist. Jehanne 56 14323 December 27, 2015 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: Delicate
  Tribal loyalty towards your former religion Aaran 27 6212 July 13, 2015 at 6:20 am
Last Post: Metis
  The connection between Catholic priests and Muhammadan pedo gangs? ReptilianPeon 18 6494 May 17, 2015 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Catholic miracles beatlesman 97 16333 December 16, 2014 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  A former agnostic, with doubts? Madness20 37 8542 September 17, 2014 at 2:52 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Anyone very educated in the catholic churches history? LoveLogicalLife 21 4370 August 11, 2014 at 11:29 am
Last Post: ManMachine
  Question for the Former Theists thesummerqueen 15 5788 March 22, 2013 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Is the catholic church a force for good? justin 78 20582 March 20, 2013 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Former Westboro Member Poses for NOH8 Campaign Gooders1002 7 5407 February 13, 2013 at 5:12 am
Last Post: Violet